eXtreme Movie Manager plugin

Xlobby plugin development

eXtreme Movie Manager plugin

Postby AtTheGates on Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:55 pm

This plugin allows you to import an XMM database into xlobby. Organize your video collection in XMM and then start xlobby. Hit F2 to enter setup and then select the Plugins tab. Now select Xmm2xml and then hit configure. From the dialog box, enter the name for the database being created and locate the program directory of XMM. The first list box shows available databases and the second shows available fields. Select what you need and hit Import. Refresh the your collection with the on screen refresh button (category>refresh) not the refresh button in the setup window.

For those unfamiliar with eXtreme Movie Manager, this program w/ this plugin should get you more information about your movies and more freedom in how you organize your collection. Downside is that it takes a little work to enter your movies in XMM.

Planned additions:
-Automatically refresh when you hit the close button.
-Store XMM directory and desired fields in a .config file so that a full refresh can be done without going through the configuration screen.

Plugin: http://www.xlobby.com/files/atthegates/xmm2xml.zip

Original topic: http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1545
AtTheGates

Postby ukbubs on Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:40 pm

As one of those who requested this plugin - thanks!

I've since been playing with the xlobby spiders, which are great for movies which are on the imdb database, and for covers which are on amazon.com.

XMM has many more ways of unearthing movie data than are built in to xlobby, BUT the quality of the cover images which xlobby fetches are much higher.

Hopes this helps folks......
ukbubs

Postby Cosworth on Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:45 pm

Great plugin. Works very well. I had three movies causing different errors. They all violate formal XML rules and can't be read by Xlobby or any other xml enabled program (word,excel...).

Below are the boring samples. Let me just finish here by saying: Great job!!!

Code: Select all
<item>
 <parameter>video_ts.ifo</parameter>
 <coverart>C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager\Covers\Dungeons-&-Dragons.jpg</coverart>
 <display>Dungeons & Dragons</display>
 <type>movie</type>
 <information>
  <OriginalTitle>Dungeons & Dragons</OriginalTitle>
  <Type></Type>
  <Genre>Adventure/Fantasy/Action</Genre>
  <Year>2000</Year>
  <Length>107 min</Length>
  <Plot>The Empire of Izmer has long been a divided land. The Mages - an elite group of magic users - rule whilst the lowly commoners are powerless. Izmer's young Empress, Savina (Thora Birch), wants equality and prosperity for all, but the evil Mage Profion (Jeremy Irons) is plotting to depose her, and establish his own rule. The Empress possesses a scepter which controls Izmer's Golden Dragons. To challenge her rule, Profion must have the scepter, and tricks the Council of Mages into believing Savina is unfit to hold it. Knowing that Profion will bring death and destruction to Izmer, Savina, must find the legendary Rod of Savrille, a mythical rod that has the power to control Red Dragons, a species even mightier than the Gold. Enter two thieves, Ridley (Justin Whalin) and Snails (Marlon Wayans), who unwittingly become instrumental in Savina's search for the Rod. Joined by a feisty Dwarf named Elwood (Lee Arenberg), and helped by the Empress's expert tracker, the Elf Norda (Kristen Wilson), the young heroes go in search of the Rod of Savrille. From the deadly maze of the Thieves Guild at Antius to an Elven Village, secret grotto and abandoned castles, Ridley and his band must outwit Profion's chief henchman Damodar (Bruce Payne) at every turn while back in Izmer, Profion prepares to do battle with the Empress. All depends on the Rod, but outcome of the race to reach it first is far from certain, and Izmar's very survival hangs in the balance.
 Emperess Savina Rules over the magical empire Izmer. The young thieves Ridley and Snails get involved with her quest to find the legendary Scepter of Savrille. With this most desirable magical wand she could have the power to rule over the Red Dragons and she would then be able to provide freedom and equality amongst all people. Ridley and Snails are closely followed by Damodar, the cruel assistant of Profion who is longing for the power of the Scepter. Profion wants to get into battle with the Emperess. Whenever Profion would get his hands on the Scepter, the whole empire would then forever live in darkness. The future depends on the braveness of Ridley and Snails...
 </Plot>
  <Actors>Jeremy Irons (Profion) ,Bruce Payne (Damodar) ,Justin Whalin (Ridley Freeborn) ,Marlon Wayans (Snails) ,Robert Miano (Azmath) ,Tomás Havrlik (Mage) ,Thora Birch (Empress Savina) ,Edward Jewesbury (Vildan Vildir)</Actors>
 </information>
 </item>

<item>
 <coverart>C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager\Covers\Sliding-Doors.jpg</coverart>
 <display>Sliding Doors</display>
 <type>movie</type>
 <information>
  <OriginalTitle>Sliding Doors</OriginalTitle>
  <Type></Type>
  <Genre>Comedy/Romance/Drama</Genre>
  <Year>1998</Year>
  <Length>99 min</Length>
  <Plot>Young Helen is fired from her job at a PR company, and when the sliding doors of the tube car close on her, we start to see what would have happened if she'd made the train, and if she hadn't.
 Arriving at work one morning, Helen (<a href="/name/nm0000569/">Gwyneth Paltrow) discovers that she had been unjustifiably sacked from her PR job. She is returning home when an amazing thing happens, time reverses itself for a few seconds and a second version of herself is created. In one reality Helen catches the tube train, meets James (<a href="/name/nm0001314/">John Hannah) and arrives home to find her loathsome lothario lover Gerry ('John Lynch(I)' ) cheating on her with his ex-girlfriend Lydia (<a href="/name/nm0000675/">Jeanne Tripplehorn). In the other reality Helen misses the tube train, gets mugged, goes to hospital and eventually arrives home to find Gerry alone in the shower. The two realities move forward in tandem; in one Helen leaves Gerry and forms a happy, new, loving relationship with James; in the other Helen's live becomes more and more wretched as she takes on two jobs to support her worthless, cheating boyfriend as he supposedly writes his novel but in fact carries on a torrid affair with Lydia.
 </Plot>
  <Actors>Gwyneth Paltrow (Helen Quilley) ,John Hannah (James Hammerton) ,John Lynch (Gerry) ,Jeanne Tripplehorn (Lydia) ,Zara Turner (Anna) ,Douglas McFerran (Russell) ,Paul Brightwell (Clive) ,Nina Young (Claudia)</Actors>
 </information>
 </item>

<item>
 <coverart>C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager\Covers\none.jpg</coverart>
 <display>Lex & Klatten</display>
 <type>movie</type>
 <information>
  <OriginalTitle>"Lex & Klatten"</OriginalTitle>
  <Type></Type>
  <Genre>Comedy</Genre>
  <Year>1997</Year>
  <Length>25 min (8 episodes)</Length>
  <Plot></Plot>
  <Actors>Peter Frödin (Various roles) ,Martin Brygmann (Various roles) ,Hella Joof (Various roles) ,Paprika Steen (Various roles rest of cast listed alphabetically Klaus Bondam .... SpeakerProduced by)</Actors>
 </information>
 </item>
Cosworth

Postby AtTheGates on Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:19 pm

ukbubs,
Yeah. I noticed how poor the covers are with the default script. There are other scripts, including an Amazon one, that can get higher quality covers. Maybe it is possible to make a script that can get a good cover from Amazon and all the info from imdb.

Cosworth,
The problem with those movies appears to be the characters & and ". If they are entered in xlobby's db editor they appear as &amp; and &quot;. I don't know anything xml so maybe it is a good time to learn.

Thanks for trying it out. Suggestions are welcome.
AtTheGates

Postby Cosworth on Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:50 am

AtTheGates wrote:Cosworth,
The problem with those movies appears to be the characters & and ". If they are entered in xlobby's db editor they appear as &amp; and &quot;. I don't know anything xml so maybe it is a good time to learn.

Thanks for trying it out. Suggestions are welcome.

The html tag inside the plot is not good. You'll need to filter those too. Xlobby couldn't handle html tags anyway as far as I know. The workaround is easy though. Just edit those type of movies manually to remove unwanted characters.

Now a few suggestions:

1. a possibility to merge the import with an existing file i.e. select an existing database and update data based on a common attribute. Parameter could work for online movies, but that would fail for offline (because moviefile1="" or "video_ts.ifo"

2. sort the selectable db fields alphabetically

3. A config file storing path and selections - please! (like you wrote already)

4. Set online/offline status flag. I'm not sure, but I don't think any movies were marked offline. You could filter on the moviefile1 field and have a rule that says if moviefile1="" then offline=true and moviefile1=video_ts.ifo.
The last bit helps xlobby to trigger the right player/offline messages etc.

Keep up the good work.
Cosworth

Postby Aaron on Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:50 am

any updates on this plug-in?
Aaron

Postby AtTheGates on Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:48 pm

No recent updates. There were quite a few more posts in this thread before the site went down that detailed a few other changes. A few days ago I noticed that the download was linked to the very first version. I uploaded the newest version again so what is there now is the newest version. What would you like to see in an update?
AtTheGates

Postby edgley on Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:48 pm

Would the use of this plug in allow seemless importing of movies into XL?

Although DVDprofiler is very good, it means opening up a windows looking program, something that I would like to avoid.

thanks.
edgley

Postby AtTheGates on Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:52 pm

I've never used DVD profiler but I bet the process is fairly similar. Movies must be entered in a Windows style app (and IMHO an ugly one at that) and then after an initial configuration, the movie database can be refreshed by hitting a button in XL.
AtTheGates

Postby edgley on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 am

Boo :D

I want to be seemless!
edgley