Extreme Movie Manager and XLobby

Speak your mind

Extreme Movie Manager and XLobby

Postby mkaylor on Fri May 28, 2004 2:45 pm

Has anyone been able to export movie data from Extreme Movie Manager and import it into XLobby?

Thanks,
Mike
mkaylor

Postby Hiller on Sun May 30, 2004 11:38 pm

I haven't tried because I do not use this program. Is there a reason that you chose it over DVD Profiler? Steven has built in support for DVD profiler and it's a free program :)

Steve
Hiller

Postby mkaylor on Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:45 pm

DVD Profiler is for DVD's only. EMM which closely resembles DVD Profiler, does DVD's, XViDs, DiVX, and much more. It reads the DiVX/XViD file and stores the type of CODEC used, size, resolution, and much more. Plus I think it was only like $10 to register.

Mike
mkaylor

Postby Cosworth on Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:34 pm

I've succesfully imported an XMM database to Xlobby via Excel. Let me know if you're interested in the "recipe"
Cosworth

Postby mattdisaster on Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:56 pm

I've used dvd profiler for avis and such, I have around 40 that are entered into dvd profiler and the info for them shows up fine along with the linked movie file.

-matt
mattdisaster

Postby Vipersmith on Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:14 pm

I would be interested in the Excel recipe.
Vipersmith

Postby Vipersmith on Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:15 pm

How did you link the movie file in DVD Profiler?
Vipersmith

Postby AtTheGates on Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:15 am

I starting writing a plugin for this a few hours ago and surprising I think I'm almost done. It simply connects to the XMM mdb file and retrieves its database of movies. It then writes the info you want to an xml file that xlobby can read.
I've tried it with my very small collection of movies and it seems to work well because movies don't need to have there own folders and covers are all stored in one place. Plus you get all the extra info.
I will drop the plugin in here tomorrow if someone will help me test it.
AtTheGates

Postby Cosworth on Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:34 am

AtTheGates wrote:I will drop the plugin in here tomorrow if someone will help me test it.

Cool! I'm interested!

The Excel trick I've been using could be used for almost any data source so maybe it's still good for something. It works with Excel 2002 and above.

1. From XMM (or other program) do an export of the data you want to a .csv file or any format excel can read.

2. In Xlobby prepare a database with at least one item in it that contains all the info fields you want to import.

3. Open the .csv file with excel. your data should now be shown with one entry for each row.

4. Choose data->XML->XML source. A pane will open. choose XML bindings->add and select the Xlobby database you've created. Click yes to the message that pops up. You will then see all the available data fields.

5. Now drag and drop the fields you want to import. You should assign the ones you can but only these are "mandatory":
- Item-Parameter (gives the full path to the file.)
- Item-Display (displayed name in Xlobby)
- Item-cover (if you have one. Path is relative from the xlobby dir or absolute)
- Information-* Put at least title and sorttitle here because they are used in most skins

6. choose data->XML->export and save your new Xlobby database.

It looks cumbersome but only takes a few minutes once you get the hang of it
Cosworth

Postby jowaldo on Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:12 pm

That's good info for EMM users and possibly quite a few others!

Do you mind if I put that on the documentation page?
jowaldo

Postby Cosworth on Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:29 pm

jowaldo wrote:That's good info for EMM users and possibly quite a few others!

Do you mind if I put that on the documentation page?

Nope I don't mind. Maybe it needs a bit of polishing first!?
Someone please give it a go an see if it works for you.
Cosworth

Postby AtTheGates on Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:40 pm

Here is my plugin. Someone try it out and tell me what it needs. C# source is included.

? - Is there a way to make xlobby reload a database? Using refresh seems to start the default importer. I just want it to load the one I created.

Edit: link doesn't work. Give me a minute. Someone want to host?
AtTheGates

Postby jowaldo on Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:22 pm

you can email it to me at jowaldo2k at hotmail.com then I can put it up on this site
jowaldo