Project P3rvette

good place to post your setup and get feedback from others.

Re: Project P3rvette

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:34 am

lpg wrote: Did you run into any unexpected problems yet?

Well not exactly unexpected but... monitor cant actually slide out without hitting the stick when its on "P" :lol: Have to fix it either by slightly rising the monitor casing or tilting it (it works too cause angle of screen is adjustable). its just cause screen seems to come out pretty much perfect place now, im bit hesistant to rise it, even though its only half an inch.

Anyways im pretty happy how it turned out so far. it very much seems that foldout monitor is the thing to go with, this way i can leave original HU in, so i dont need to bother with bose door amp crap... besides after listening them for hole summer... im quite okay with bose sound, not perfect but will do for now.

Well i just need to get new "instrument panel" or whatever its called, so i can cut the ashtray out of spare one and install HVAC on its place. BTW that unit was pretty easy to take out and refit to new place... i already found one place online which has it for $180 (but i have no idea if they ship to europe) so guys if u know good sources for corvette parts let me know...

Also as said this strategy greatly simplifies audio interface... now i just need to locate suitable aux-in adapter to perform as "CD-changer" and interfacing between comp and original HU. but i bet Marbles already found one... so stop holding that linky :)

As for comp itself... im still missing the OS so its still on the table... i need to locate XP OEM somewhere cause its not too spicy to run vista and my wallet doesnt like non-OEM :) Xlobby there on pic simply comes from my lap hooked to monitor...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:32 am

Oh BTW i want to use this occasion to WARN u people about state of NORWAY... whatever u do, dont go there!!!

I was entering there from sweden, and i was forced to strip naked and i was hold in small holding cell about threee hours, dont really know exact time cause my cellphone was confiscated, without been informed about any miranda rights, other than "This is sovereign state of norway, your EU has no power here", when i was requesting my human rights, and asking reason for this breach of Schengen agreement (which should guarantee that EU-citizens, like me, should be able to enter norway without any hassle even without passport, yet i felt i was entering abu-graif). Anyway even to my small cubicle, i could hear those border bastards playing with my Pervette, i could hear them running engine with way too much RPM... SO dont go freaking nazi-norway, im sure i wont again.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Jay on Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:28 pm

So what were they after? To play with ur car?
Jay

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:40 pm

I think Thor and Odin only knows... if i remember right they mention drugs at somepoint... but they didnt have dogs :?
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby lpg on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:26 am

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:
lpg wrote: Did you run into any unexpected problems yet?

Well i just need to get new "instrument panel" or whatever its called, so i can cut the ashtray out of spare one and install HVAC on its place. BTW that unit was pretty easy to take out and refit to new place... i already found one place online which has it for $180 (but i have no idea if they ship to europe) so guys if u know good sources for corvette parts let me know...

Try this place for parts. They ship Internationally http://www.ecklers.com/ContactT.asp?
lpg

Postby lpg on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:28 am

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:Oh BTW i want to use this occasion to WARN u people about state of NORWAY... whatever u do, dont go there!!!

I was entering there from sweden, and i was forced to strip naked and i was hold in small holding cell about threee hours, dont really know exact time cause my cellphone was confiscated, without been informed about any miranda rights, other than "This is sovereign state of norway, your EU has no power here", when i was requesting my human rights, and asking reason for this breach of Schengen agreement (which should guarantee that EU-citizens, like me, should be able to enter norway without any hassle even without passport, yet i felt i was entering abu-graif). Anyway even to my small cubicle, i could hear those border bastards playing with my Pervette, i could hear them running engine with way too much RPM... SO dont go freaking nazi-norway, im sure i wont again.

Sorry this happened to you. It sounds like they wanted to play with your american toy. Maybe you need to disguise it next time.
lpg

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:30 pm

lpg wrote:Sorry this happened to you. It sounds like they wanted to play with your american toy.

Yeah that appears to be possibility... allthough i was under impression that only happens in freaking Skoda commercials right next to that Hostel in slovakia.

Maybe you need to disguise it next time.

Trust me there wont be next time... I love mountains, but they have mountains in switzherland too.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:51 pm

lpg wrote:Try this place for parts. They ship Internationally http://www.ecklers.com/ContactT.asp?

Thanx, but i think that was one of the places i already looked, and it seemed they didnt have it :(

Ill keep it in mind though when i need other parts down the road.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:09 pm

ok i lift the screen up about quarter of inch and now it hits stick so little that its almost unoticeable, i say good enough. but....

...i think i f*cking found out why it says _not_suitable_ for automotive use on display's manual...

...chinese sh!tbox has goddamn bright LEDs on those useless buttons, it would be all ok, but buttons are fitted as loose as grandma's c*nt, and LEDs shines between buttons directly to the retina of poor driver. :shock:

Those LEDs are only on when monitor is fully retracted and theres no notion about dimming them in manual...

Allthough I usually use 8) while driving, i still would like some tips how to disable them... if u have aestheticly more pleasing idea than mine X-of-duct-tape please please please do post.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:01 pm

My solution would be to open them up and increase the current limit resistance. Most likely drawing about 15 to 20mA per LED. Depending on the LED, there's most likely at least a 1.2V drop across each one (or more). If they are being driven by a 12V source, then that would mean about 10.8V across the resistor...at 20mA...it would equate to a 540 ohm resistor. Replacing that with a 1k or more should dim those suckers up nicely....providing you don't mind soldering surface mount components (I'm guessing).

If the 12V is regulated to 5V (sometimes it is), then the resistance could be around 200 ohms. Again doubling the resistance will dim the LED's down.

Not knowing the color of your LED's...I'm just guessing 1.2V drop across them. If I recall, green LED's drop more (2.1V)...blue LED's drop even more. You would have to look at some datasheets to verify...don't worry, most manufacturers datasheet are almost generic for components of that nature, so you could look at any one of them. A good LED manufacturer is Dialight.

Hope this helps.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:20 am

Marb, first of all im glad to see u back in here, secondly i was bit afraid u come up with this. im really bit shy to open up that unit, im afraid if i cant get it back up :D guess i need to catch few level ups as a tinker first... but u r ofcourse right thats the route to go, i just need to collect my courage...

if my ex would be around, she would just keep hitting the thing until it would work her way... works everytime :lol:
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:03 am

first of all im glad to see u back

Actually, I haven't gone anywhere...really. I just had nothing to say on these forums for the last little while. I'm desperately trying to piece together my own HTPC (hoping Christmas brings some nice things). So I've been a little (understatement) lazy in getting the Mirage skin completed.

I've also been messing around with a DVB-S PCI card so I've spent alot of time on some fta forums...learning what I can.

To top it off, the last week, I've started to piece together a system that's been collecting dust for a basic media PVR. Though I won't be using xlobby on that one...it's using GAM (Got All Media). I've updated my google pages to start reflecting that project (MediaPVR).

To top it all off, my music server, since upping the RAM and changing out the power supply for a half decent one, been running really good (knock on wood), so I've been enjoying that as much as possible.

I try and make it a habit to at least visit the forum once a day.

Oh, and I understand your reluctance on opening up the casing to do mods of that nature. You have to really trace back the lines...and have some fundamentals of circuit design. Otherwise, you'd be changing the wrong resistor...next thing you know...a little plum of smoke in the shape of a mushroom cloud will burst from your center dash. That'd be pretty frustrating.
Marbles_00

Postby lpg on Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:14 am

Marbles_00 wrote:

Oh, and I understand your reluctance on opening up the casing to do mods of that nature. You have to really trace back the lines...and have some fundamentals of circuit design. Otherwise, you'd be changing the wrong resistor...next thing you know...a little plum of smoke in the shape of a mushroom cloud will burst from your center dash. That'd be pretty frustrating.

I think the smell is the worst part...and then the oh f**** no way...and the jumping and screaming starts...it's not pretty.
lpg

Postby samgreco on Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:23 am

lpg wrote:
Marbles_00 wrote:

I think the smell is the worst part...and then the oh f**** no way...and the jumping and screaming starts...it's not pretty.

Wow. You've seen me work....
samgreco

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:04 pm

Heres other pic which mayby illustrates the LED problem bit better... allthough from this perspective u can only see some glow, but on my lazy position on driverseat... evil LEDs are staring directly my eyes between the button cavities :(
Attachments
brightleds.JPG
P3rv3rt B3ar

PreviousNext