Plugin Debugging

Xlobby plugin development

Plugin Debugging

Postby Atlas on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:00 pm

I'm currently writing a Netflix plugin and I've gotten to a point where I would like to debug the plugin with Xlobby inside of VS 2005 Express Edition. That is I would like to be able to step through my code inside the debugger, but with Xlobby calling the plugin. I've gotten as far as I can with a mock up app calling my plugin, but now I'm having a crash with Xlobby that doesn't happen with my "fake app".

Can this be done? If so can someone point me to some docs or explain? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!
Atlas

Postby badubo on Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:57 pm

quite simple :

- change the output binary path (your plugin) to the plugins directory of xlobby
- change the start program of the debugger to xlobby.

- set a break point anywhere you want to stop
- start the debugger
badubo

Postby sharp_1 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:11 am

sharp_1

Postby Atlas on Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:56 pm

Thanks badubo! That got me going in the right direction. After a long bonding experience with Google I found the solution! Problem was that the "Express Edition" version of VS does not allow you to set a start application within the IDE (gui). You have to create/modify the settings by hand.

Here is what to do for Express Edition for those interested.

1.) Edit the file <project>.csproj.user in the project dir. It is in the same directory as <project>.csproj. Create it if it does not exist.

2.) Add the following

Code: Select all
<Project xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Debug|AnyCPU' ">
    <StartWorkingDirectory>c:\your\path\to\xlobby\</StartWorkingDirectory>
    <StartAction>Program</StartAction>
    <StartProgram>c:\your\path\to\xlobby\xlobby2.exe</StartProgram>
  </PropertyGroup>
</Project>

3.) As badubo mentions above change the output binary path (your plugin) to the plugins directory of xlobby. This is done in the properties for the project under Build tab.
Atlas

Postby Atlas on Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:08 pm

sharp_1,

That's how I had it for a while but I wanted more info and control without having to use a mouse to navigate a webpage. The plugin intergrates things into Xlobby. Just like the weather plugin. I could have a link that pulls up IE with a weather web page but I don't want that! :lol:

Right now the plugin downloads the coverart, rating, stars, description, etc. and can be shown in Xlobby through plugin>*** commands. My ultimate goal with this is to be able to control my queue, etc. from within Xlobby.
Atlas

Postby sharp_1 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:36 pm

Atlas:

I agree that would be awesome to be able to control Netflix queue from XL...I would love it!!!
sharp_1