Weather Forecast in Xlobby - Here is how you do it

title says it all

Weather Forecast in Xlobby - Here is how you do it

Postby hvs69 on Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:59 am

Hi,

I have been able to do a detailed weather forecast (using data from weather channel) using samurize. If you want to know more about samurize, visit http://www.samurize.com/.

Anyway here is the screenshot of my weather forecast screen:

Here is how you do it:

Download the latest version of samurize from samurize.com
    Download weather forecast 2003 professional [sp4] by torsius from the script section of samurize.com
    Install samurize
    Unpack the script as per the instructions
    Make sure that the script works on your machine
    Open/Edit/Resize the various objects in the config file from the weather forecast script package to your liking using the GUI editor of samurize. For best results and to save later headaches do it on a machine with the same screen resolution as your display (TV or whatever). I can post my config file somewhere if anybody is interested.
    To integrate the config file into xlobby, you will have to associate the weather button on your menu to samurize (client.exe) as an external application. Also link the same button to an Xlobby screen with desired background and a "Back" button. You don't need to enter any parameters in the line command because when samurize launches as an external application, it automatically loads the last opened config file
    To exit from samurize, I used an application called kill.exe (do a google search to find it) and associated it to the "Back/Main Menu" button

Known Issues:
    When I launch samurize the windows taskbar pops-up which I don't like. One way to avoid it would be to reduce the taskbar to its minimal size.
    I have not figured out a way to fix the position of the weather screen at the launch. It always positions itself to the top left corner, I would like it to pop-up in the center of the screen.
    All the parameters show default value "task not executed" for a few seconds (very annoying) before the actual values are obtained from the web server

Please note that samurize.com site is currently down and you won't be able to do much until the site comes back up again
The site is back up as of 2-27-2004

Thanks to Torsius for this wonderful script
Last edited by hvs69 on Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
hvs69

Postby ThE ScReW on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:56 am

Nice work dude but does it also works for belgium?
ThE ScReW

Postby mattdisaster on Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:45 pm

hvs69-
You sir are quite the tease. lol. I'm getting all antsy in my pantsy over this and the frigin site is down! Thanks for the heads up, some of us have been waiting for this for a while!

-matt
mattdisaster

Postby hvs69 on Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:46 pm

I am sorry that it turned out this way. :cry: Looks like samurize.com is in financial problem according to the following posting I found on their sister website in Danish (http://www.samurize.dk)

The popularity of Samurize has grown to epic proportions, which is a blessing but unfortunately at the same time a curse. Our webhost has informed us that he can no longer host us free of charge so we need a new home within seven days.

The donations we have received are very helpful and we thank all of you who have contributed, but unfortunately the donations have not been regular/plentiful enough to completely pay for hosting.

Being a freeware project, we have a very little/no budget but we are willing to compromise with advertising in the Samurize installer, application and site if need be (this site gets in excess of 20,000 hits a day and our user base is enormous).

If you are able to help us out...

I guess you can download samurize application from the danish page. I am not sure if the weather scripts are available. If somebody understanding Danish can look at it and post the link if available. If not, I may try to host the script somewhere

Maybe a little donation to samurize from all of us who are interested in this project can expedite to solve the hosting crisis...

To ScRew: I believe there is a provision in the script to get weather information for other countries.
hvs69

Postby mattdisaster on Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:09 am

Oh its back up and running again! Woohoo!!! this thing rules! Would you mind posting your config? I like it alot and dont think ill be able to make one like it. Oh yea, with the new alpha 40 event editor you should be able to make it so when you hit the back button on the weather screen itll turn off the script first, just something to help get as many unneeded apps outta the way hehe. I can't wait to get this set up, awesome find once again!! Thanks!

-matt
mailto:mattnorman82@snet.net
mattdisaster

Postby noviceboy on Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:39 am

@The SCREW

Yes it works for Belgium. There's enough rain symbols to cover the forecast anyway :wink:

Seriously though works for any major cities. See readme for the samurize weather script
noviceboy

Postby hvs69 on Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:52 pm

Great :D

I'll post my config file after I go home today.
hvs69

Postby hvs69 on Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:24 am

As propmised here is my configuration file. Please take a look at the readme file before getting started

http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/hiren-shah@sbcglobal.net/lst?.dir=/public&.view=l

I have tried to fix the link. Try again, if it does not work let me know[/url]
Last edited by hvs69 on Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hvs69

Postby noviceboy on Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:32 am

Your link is not accessible
noviceboy

Postby sdumas on Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:46 pm

I keep getting the following error when I change my location to my town (Montreal - Location ID CAXX0301).

Object required "objXML.GetElementsByTagName(...).item(...)"

If I use a regular ZIP code everything is allright, but I live in Canada... no ZIP code.

Any ideas?
sdumas

Postby noviceboy on Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:13 am

link works now , thanks.
noviceboy

Postby hvs69 on Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:15 pm

sdumas wrote:I keep getting the following error when I change my location to my town (Montreal - Location ID CAXX0301).

Object required "objXML.GetElementsByTagName(...).item(...)"

If I use a regular ZIP code everything is allright, but I live in Canada... no ZIP code.

Any ideas?

Take a look at the readme instructions that came with the script files from Torsius. I believe he has instructions for setting the scripts up for places outside USA.
hvs69

Postby jtrue on Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:19 am

why not just edit the weather.xml file and input the url/image name of the graphic you want
worked for me
jtrue

Postby edgley on Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:35 am

hvs69,

Do you still need to know how to change the default position?
edgley

I can't seem to get the narrative to work i keep getting an

Postby riekl on Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:23 am

access denied error whenever it tries to execute the code for the narrative ? Everything else works flawlessly .. Any ideas ?

I tried both the default script and yours, all data comes in fine but the narative (and yes i changed the zip everywhere)
riekl

Next