The winamp kernel streaming plugin, anyone else try it?

Speak your mind

The winamp kernel streaming plugin, anyone else try it?

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:42 pm

The other night I was experimenting with getting whole house audio using the 0/1 outputs of the KX drivers for two CL cards, the multi-output plugin for winamp, and two .dll of the kernel streaming plugin, each one assigned to a 0/1 output.

Initial findings was that the music for the most part remained in sync. The only noticable time that the music went out of sync, within 15 seconds it seemed that the system corrected itself and the music synced up again.

The only problem was that once the kernal streaming instance has control of the output, another instance of winamp can't use that output. I have yet to try kernal streaming for all instances in my setup.

I take it that I'm not the only one who has tried this...just wondering about other poeples thoughts.

On a side, I also was going to try the Low-Latency Waveout plugin, but it could only have one output defined for it. It would not recognize multiple copies of the .dll. I found that the Directsound .dll skips and sputters too much to be of any use. I've had pretty good results with the waveout .dll. I found that the one output set as the primary always remained a few ms ahead of the other output. Not much, but enough that standing in between the two outputs, you could hear a slight echo.

I know about ASIO, and I've seen P3rv's post on it, but I have yet to try it in this sort of application.
Marbles_00

Postby rbziggy on Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:32 am

Marbles

Yes, been using this for over a year (at least I think so from your description) very successfully.

There was quite a long thread on this under one of the multizone threads.

I found it now works 'properly' with the latest winamp version as it does not now 'forget' the soundcard mappings for each of the individual .dlls
rbziggy