External Apps and Thin Clients

Help each other out

External Apps and Thin Clients

Postby berniejr on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:10 pm

I'm putting some finishing touches on getting my Xlobby system complete, and I've run into a potential problem. I want to be able to control the entire system using thin clients (Fujitsu 1600 touch screens) and PPC's. For functions inside of Xlobby (Music, Movies, Weather, etc.) this is no problem. The question that I have is if I can control and view, external apps such as Sage or Homeseer form the Thin client. I know that I can still control functions of these programs, but will I receive real-time/updated screen shots on the thin client? My logic/idea behind this is that I don’t want to have to use my TV's to work with the system. If there is a scenario where my wife or kids are in the family room watching TV, and I decide that I want to browse movies, then I can pick up the touch screen and do so without interrupting what they are watching. I would like to have this same ability for Sage to set a recording or for Homeseer to adjust the temp or turnoff lights.

On another note, is there a preference between the web server clients vs. the standard thin client? Is one more reliable that the other? Currently I plan on using the Web client; however I've only used it during testing and not for a prolonged period of time.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
berniejr