xlobby + plugins + future

Information related to the pre-release commercial version of xlobby

xlobby + plugins + future

Postby S Pittaway on Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:39 am

Hi,

A link to a feature list was posted in another thread -

http://www.calrad.com/xlobby%20versions.html

This makes it look like plugin support will vary accross the range, with none? in the basic version.

Could someone explain what the plan is with plugins, i know that you hate this kind of question, but its probably quite an importnat one for a few people.

I am still getting "xxxx" doesnt work questions.

I have a few plugins which i am still working on (a nebula tv plugin and an IP control plugin for theartre-tek), the arrrival of mini-me slowed down developement :) or they would have been out by now.

I also make extensive use of a plugin to manage screen transitions on my personal skin...

If im reading this correctly, i strongly beleive that you have got it wrong, the way forward is to improve the plugin interface to so we can write better plugins not kill them off.

Good accross the board plug support is good for everyone, the users benifit from the work that others have put in, it helps build up the xlobby comunity and i suppose most importantly to you you get free coding done by people who know and use the software....

If you want sugestions on what is needed to improve the plugin interface i can supply some sugestions (as can a few others).

Sean.
S Pittaway

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:47 am

the arrrival of mini-me slowed down developement

Can't answer your questions, but CONGRATS goes out to ya :!:
Marbles_00

Postby S Pittaway on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:21 am

cheers, hes 8 months old now and has seriously sorted out the art of projectile vomiting :)

its hard to beleive how much time little ones can soak up!
S Pittaway

Postby lpg on Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:21 am

S Pittaway wrote:cheers, hes 8 months old now and has seriously sorted out the art of projectile vomiting :)

its hard to beleive how much time little ones can soak up!

I have 4 the time increases as they get older. Enjoy it. Kids make you whole.
lpg

Postby stevenhanna6 on Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:32 am

The feature set on the page you link to isn't set in stone. I explained that on the "definitive thread"...so don't worry about that.

The idea of plugins aren't going anywhere, and we will inevitably expland the sdk....plus we have the idea of widgets which will act as both a plugin and a standalone application. So yah any ideas you have are welcome, right now I'm pretty swamped though and I don't know when I would be able to implement any new plugin sdk fixes/additions requests.

PS congrats on your little boy :)
stevenhanna6

Postby S Pittaway on Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:08 am

I can bet that you are busy :)

There is one thing you might be able to squeze in that would be very handy -

the ability to specify if multithreading is ON/OFF when you run a command...

you added the run event command a while ago, this does not check the multithreaded state, that could be tweeked at the same time.

Example-

if you are doing a a lot of next/prevs in a plugin you dont want the screen refreshing while it runs...

at the moment the best i can do (is there a proper way) is to grab the paint key, do my code then free the key, but now and again it seems to deadlock?

Thers loads of other thngs that could be implimented, but i am sure thats a "quicky" :)

Sean.
S Pittaway