Category execution - file types aren't working

Help each other out

Category execution - file types aren't working

Postby slaman on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:58 am

Ok, so I launch .ifo files and .evo files using PowerDVD, and .avi, .mkv, .mov using Media Player Classic. I have both file types setup in File Types, they are enabled, not overlapping. I have the category set to "movies'' for both. I also have an offline event for both.

Now, when I launch an .mkv file using the category->execute event, nothing happens... when I disable the File Type, then it launches the file according to whatever that extension is associated to through windows.

It's very frustrating because there are some movie folders where I just pass the folder as the parameter, because it's made up of several files.

I've tried reinstalling Xlobby twice, and have loaded old versions of my skin... not too sure that I changed anything. Even tried it with the default skin and same thing... sometimes Media Player Classic launches (for some .mkv and .avi files), but then it says "File Not Found"...

I double-checked the parameter and it's correct. Under file type, the argument is /play %parameter% - changing whatever is in there doesn't help... movies is specified as the category.

Any help? It WAS working before, now it's not... very frustrating.
slaman

Re: Category execution - file types aren't working

Postby slaman on Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:54 am

Any ideas?
slaman

Postby Cabinetguy on Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:39 pm

Did you try leaving the catagory empty for both?
I would think that as long as you have your file types set, it does not matter what the catagory is.

Hope this helps
Brian
Cabinetguy

Postby slaman on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:47 am

Cabinetguy wrote:Did you try leaving the catagory empty for both?
I would think that as long as you have your file types set, it does not matter what the catagory is.

Hope this helps
Brian

Thanks! I removed the "movies" category from the file types, and Media Player Classic launches when I start the "execute" category event. However, a "File not found" message is displayed in Media Player Classic... I think the %parameter% is not being passed correctly?

Likewise, for file types associated with PowerDVD, it launches but the .evo or .xpl file doesn't start...
slaman

Postby Cabinetguy on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:51 pm

When you reinstalled xlobby, did you use a backup of your original movies database xml or did you do a fresh import for your database?
You may need to delete your movies database and import it again.

Hope this works,
Brian
Cabinetguy

Postby slaman on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:14 am

Cabinetguy wrote:When you reinstalled xlobby, did you use a backup of your original movies database xml or did you do a fresh import for your database?
You may need to delete your movies database and import it again.

Hope this works,
Brian

I only use backups... I can't just import my movies because I add manual fields to each entry. It's a very manual effort, time-consuming, and I have 260 movies! ;)

I'll doublecheck the XML file to make sure the entries are correct.
slaman

Postby Cabinetguy on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:41 pm

Yep, I know that feeling, I have 474 myself and have had to redo them.
Not much fun.
Try backing up your xml, then do a fresh import and see if it works, then you can always go back to your original xml if that doesn't do it.

Brian
Cabinetguy

Postby S Pittaway on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:05 am

I have a plugin which i wrote to export/import the infomation bits of a database.

you may be able to - export your data, use xlobby to delete/re-import the movies, then import your data...

Needless to say, cheap a copy of the database just in case :)

Have a look at http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6292 the scroll down to Routines for saving and restoring a database
S Pittaway

Postby slaman on Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:42 am

Very odd... tried to "import" my movies, and it just sits at 0% progress... even after 30 minutes.

I tried deleting my old movies.xml... and then manually adding a single entry. Tried to launch it, and got the same "file not found" error message...

It must be something to do with my file types rather than my content databases.
slaman

Postby Cabinetguy on Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Are your movies on a separate server, or are they on the same pc?
I have a dedicated server that I store my movies on, and sometimes my router gets a screwed up and I have to click on the network connection and click repair to renew the I.P. address.

Brian
Cabinetguy

Postby slaman on Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:16 pm

Cabinetguy wrote:Are your movies on a separate server, or are they on the same pc?
I have a dedicated server that I store my movies on, and sometimes my router gets a screwed up and I have to click on the network connection and click repair to renew the I.P. address.

Brian

They are on various partitions and drive on the same PC... I spent so much time wading through the .xml files yesterday... was thinking it was the skin's movies.xml eventgroups that was messed up, but then looked at the default skin's and it was identical (plus I'm seeing the same issue with the default skin)...

what's odd is that .mkv movies seem to launch fine - it's really just .avi files (from what I can tell)... I'm thinking the issue is not with the .xml files, but with Xlobby... (a reinstall didn't fix it though!)
slaman

Postby slaman on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:52 am

Wow, don't you just hate it when you figure out what you've been doing wrong... and it's far more simple than expected?

I just needed to put the %parameter% command line switch in quotes before passing it to MPC... works fine now.

Thanks for the help guys!
slaman

Postby Cabinetguy on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:54 pm

I'm glad you found the fix, and that it was simple.
Seems that it's always the simple stuff that drives us nuts!

Brian
Cabinetguy