xlobby video confrence

Help each other out

xlobby video confrence

Postby billberet on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:40 pm

hey,
ok on to the next project.

i'm thinking video phone within the floors of my house.
i have an xlobby server in basement controlling downstairs, and a fat client on the 1st floor sending xsend commands to the server for IR blasts.

since i have a fat client and a server, 2 separate machines, i am wondering if it's possible to link them together via video.
i have flat panel touchscreen in the wall in basement (server) and one in livingroom (fat client)
i wanted to mount a camera in the wall as well, so i can view the video feed in xlobby.
so the fat client will stream to the server, and the server will stream to the fat client.
this will give the illusion of being linked.
or should i take the upstairs camera, and run a cable to the server , and take the downstairs camera and run a cable upstairs to the fat client
then all i have to do is display the camera stream.

so my 2 options are to have each camera connected to each machine, one camera upstairs connected upstairs.
second option, take upstairs camera and connect it to downstairs server.
so if i'm downstairs, i view the video feed of the camera upstairs.

has anyone done any video work with their xlobby that can point me in the right direction.
thanks
-bb
billberet

Re: xlobby video confrence

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:12 pm

Depending on the video software your using for your webcam, if you can find out the windows class name of the video display, then you could use XMoveWindow to display the video displays anywhere in your screen...maybe?

I guess your wondering more on the side of the hardware connection?
Marbles_00

Postby billberet on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:26 pm

yea, i'm thinking, if i mount a USB camera upstairs and run the cable to the server downstairs.
i can open up an overlay on the downstairs server that would display the upstairs feed.
I usually use Lodgitec driver .
Does xlobby support video feeds?

or is it easier to use network camera's
billberet

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:40 am

or is it easier to use network camera's

Well the nice thing about network camera's is that you could bring them up like any other webcam. Then have a XEvent tied to refresh every 10 seconds when you enter the screen where your webcam images are.

Also, not sure of your USB cable length, but that might be a limiting factor as well. USB is only good for a certain distance...I want to say 15', but honestly, I don't remember what it is...but it is limited...whereas CAT5 cable can run for hundreds of feet.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:23 am

Im currently working on PSeye plugin. Alltough its local to a machine so far and only saves stills, but then again stills become quite lively if shoot fast enough pace. Im expecting to release within few days. Im just hoping xPerTs loadimage and slideshow functions are up the task of interacting with new device cause improving them could take ages considering the current bad shape of xperts development code.
P3rv3rt B3ar