full house audio zones

Help each other out

full house audio zones

Postby billberet on Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:53 pm

Hey,

i am in the process of running full audio zones from my xlobby server
i just purchased a soundblaster audigy SE card (support for 7.1) $30 = cheep investment
I downloaded the KX drivers and went over Marbles_00 configurations for DSP.
i have 3 merantz 200 watt amps lying around, going to use one for each zone.

I understand the winamp configuration for multiple zones, and how to run each channel to it's specific amp. (1 for each zone)

I guess my question is, does the Audigy SE work in this setup, http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=205&product=14257
or do i have to get the more expensive audigy card?

i will be starting this project tonight, if the trick or treaters let me.
oh yea, HAPPY HALLOWEEN !!!!!!
billberet

Re: full house audio zones

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:00 pm

Dude, the one thing I have always indicated is to verify on the KX website that whatever card you get is compatible with the KX drivers. I hope you made a typo and you meant to say Audigy ES, as the SE (board#: SB0570) is not supported :shock: . But hey, look on the bright side, you may have yourself a nice sounding card to use in a secondary HTPC. You can even tell the wife that you have this awesome card and have to build a system around it...if she's anything like mine :roll: ...you'll get the "your and idiot" look...and she'll mutter the words "whatever". :lol:

http://kb.kxproject.lugosoft.com/list.html

do i have to get the more expensive audigy card?

An Audigy 7.1 Value are really cheap off ebay. Those are the ones I'm using in my setup, and have had absolutely no issues with. You could also pickup a SB Live 5.1 card for next to nothing. I like the Audigy as you can have 4 analog zones for sure, and if you play around with the KX DSP, you may even be able to get an additional zone via the digital output.
Marbles_00

Postby billberet on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:30 pm

hahah, that's funny
I did view their FAQ first and they said, 'The Audigy series' for compatible cards.
but i figured as much when i was buying the card, i was saying to myself, i bet this won't work, lol
no biggie, i can always resell it on ebay or go back to store and exchange it.
the wifey is so used to seeing computer components comming in on a regular basis, it didn't even phase her, lol

:)
i'll let you know the results.
billberet

Postby billberet on Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:08 pm

hey marbles,
when i search ebay for Audigy 7.1 Value it's the audigy 2, model SB0400

that's under the partially supported cards, should i pick that one up or choose one of the fully supported cards?
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories
price is 29.99

sound right to you?
billberet

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:27 pm

Yep, I'm using 2 of them in my setup. Each can support 4 zones. Then you can follow my DSP to a tee almost.
Marbles_00

Postby billberet on Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:41 pm

Sold, ok i picked it up
1 for now, i can always grab another when i run out of zones.

i'll try to duplicate your config for the 4 zones.
makes it easier when i have questions since you'll have exactly what i'm tring to accomplish.

thanks again
billberet

Postby scottw on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:14 am

I get 3 zones out of the SB0600 which I bought twice for not more that $10 each and I can share my DSP as well. I followed Marbles' DSP when I first got the card because it all made no sense to me at all...still don't fully understand it but it doesn't matter to me especially when you have people like Marbles here :D
scottw

Postby lpg on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:38 am

Hey, I do not know if this would help anyone out but if you remember those small amps that that guy on ebay was selling. He had a huge lot of them. Well I bought at least seven and if someone is interested I could sell them at what I paid plus ship. I know they were listed at two different prices. I paid the lower. The problem is that I do not remember what I paid.

Larry
Last edited by lpg on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
lpg

Postby scottw on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:43 am

Larry I emailed you :D
scottw

Postby scottw on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:48 am

scottw

Postby lpg on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:52 am

scottw wrote:Larry I emailed you :D

Boy you were quick. I can do what you asked. I tried to email you back but I could not find an address or do it through xlobby. Send me an email again with an address I can contact you at.

Larry
lpg

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:02 am

Actually, could someone scan the manual of those amps into .pdf format for me, email is mayhemDOTprodATgmailDOTcom...thanks in advance. I used to have a copy, but during housecleaning, I guess I deleted it. I also had a hardcopy, but I have not been able to find it :x .

I think the original price was $19.00 US plus shipping. They then went up to $29.00 plus shipping.

I get 3 zones out of the SB0600

Scott, is that the SB0060? you mean? The 5.1 card or an SB0610, which is a Audigy4...which would be a good purchase at $10 each. I ask as if you had the Audigy4, like the Audigy2, you should be able to get at least one or more zones using a triple 3.5mm to three RCA patch cords.
Last edited by Marbles_00 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:04 am

Marbles_00 wrote:Actually, could someone scan the manual of those amps into .pdf format for me, email is mayhemDOTprodATgmailDOTcom...thanks in advance. I used to have a copy, but during housecleaning, I guess I deleted it. I also had a hardcopy, but I have not been able to find it :x .

I get 3 zones out of the SB0600

Scott, is that the SB0060? you mean? The 5.1 card or an SB0610, which is a Audigy4...which would be a good purchase at $10 each. I ask as if you had the Audigy4, like the Audigy2, you should be able to get at least one or more zones using a triple 3.5mm to three RCA patch cords.

Ahhh must be the sb0060 it's not an audigy.

I'll see if I can find a manual for you.
scottw

Postby lpg on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:40 am

lpg

Postby billberet on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:22 am

so by 3 zones, you mean 3 individual ones plus one zone that will be all the zones playing at same time
giving you the 4 zone total
that is how i want to set up my card.

i am going to want to have sterio in each of my zones. (3 for now)
would those amps be able to give me this, or should i be looking for a 6channel amp.
billberet

Next