Great deal on a 6 channel amp

Speak your mind

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:32 pm

I thought that the crossover was part of the preamp? If that's the case, going directly into the power amp should give full range on all channels.

That is correct. Rem puts it best in his post:
Bypassing the AIP gets you 6 full range channels.

smata,
The easiest way to bypass any crossover is not include it in the signal path. Meaning take out the AIP module, and modify the 6 pin mini-DIN harness to plug directly into your source. The crossover resides in the AIP and not in the amp. If you connect RCA jacks to the DIN, then from your CD player, run your left channel to DIN pin 1, right channel to DIN pin 2. Run your left speaker from the amps Channel 1 terminal, run the right speaker from the amps channel 2 terminal. This is the easiest, but not the only way to connect this amp. From here, you can then connect a second source to channels 3/4 and a third source to channels 5/6. Or you could "Y" patch and combine channels 1/2/3 for left or 4/5/6 for right or even 1/3/5 and 2/4/6. Skies the limit.

Just to add even more adversity to the whole thing, how some of us are doing it, we've taken different soundcard outputs to the amplifiers inputs and driving speakers in different rooms to give a very economical music distribution setup.

You may also find out that by taking out the AIP module, your source of noise and hiss may also go away as its one less component in the signal path.

Hope this helps.
Marbles_00

Postby smata67 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:46 pm

Yes, the hiss is gone with the preamp disconnected, so that is probably where it resides. I like the tone control on the preamp, so intend on using it. Etom is sending me a replacement.

Has anyone come up with an easy way to use this preamp with the Sonic T amp?
smata67

Postby sharp_1 on Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:30 pm

sharp_1 wrote:Any of you guys getting a hum from this amp thru the speakers while powered on but not playing anything? Not sure if this is to be expected...maybe the gains are turned up too high on the amp???

I was able to use a cheater plug as some of the guys on avs suggested and got rid of the hum!!!
sharp_1

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:18 pm

So I take it you've isolated your earth ground of the amplifier? Will work...may not be the safest thing to do, should the case short out for some reason. Just be careful.
Marbles_00

Postby chad on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:16 pm

Sorry to make this my first post, this thread was linked in another forum where a bunch of us are playing with this amp, there are two threads, one that I started with some measurements and mods you may or may not be interested in. We are kind of feeding off of your discoveries, if you all would like I can post a link to the site or even post my findings here.

Chad
chad

Postby scottw on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:21 pm

Links would be great. I still have another amp that I have not even opened yet. :D
scottw

Postby chad on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:38 pm

scottw wrote:Links would be great. I still have another amp that I have not even opened yet. :D

The discovery:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/sho ... php?t=7829

The beating to death :)
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/sho ... php?t=8022

If you have more questions you can post in this thread, I have reply notification on. I don't thnk you have to join up with DIYMA to read, just post.

Good Luck!

Chad
chad

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:42 pm

Many thanks Chad.
Marbles_00

Postby chad on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:46 pm

Naa Problem Mane :)
chad

Postby sharp_1 on Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:06 pm

Thanks Chad...great work on the review!!!
sharp_1

Hiss Still With Me

Postby smata67 on Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:41 pm

I got some spare preamps from etom and the hiss is still there. Is anyone else experiencing this? You can hear it at all times it is on as background hissing (not humming).
smata67

Postby cmhardwick on Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:11 pm

First off, no experience with these amps, just amplifier/sound equipment experience period.

Going from Source to Amp, output levels should be high - to - low.

For example, Microphone ... gain up, channel up, mix up, master up to get what level you want, amps up enough to get the sound.

Reasoning is this ... the Amplifier is doing just that, amplifying what it gets as input. If that input is very weak, then cranking up the amp is going to give you lots of hiss and noise. Going the otherway around, you'll get cleaner sound. Let your amp level be the low mark in the chain if possible.

Just my 2 cents :D
cmhardwick

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:20 pm

If your not using the microphone input, wouldn't you want to keep that gain level low? That way a possible source of unwanted noise is minimized as much as possible...correct?

Oh, and to answer your question smata, I do have noise that is very noticable out of channels 3/4, and can be heard with ear to speaker on channels 1/2, but I'm not worried about it as I'm not intending on using the AIP eventually.

My advice, knowing you want to use the tone control, build your own and take the AIP out of the equation. If the AIP is noisey, there's not much you can do about it. Chad's ideas will help, but if the equipment uses substandard parts, or even if the circuit board is designed incorrectly, you may experience noise. So if your thinking of modding the AIP to get rid of the noise, it's just easier to make your own. Or just buy a basic preamp off ebay, like an older NAD, Rotel, or Yamaha. Just about any name brand will sound better than the AIP, and you will much more functionality.
Marbles_00

Postby cmhardwick on Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:26 am

Correct marbles on the gain. I was just using a mike input as an example :) only one I could think of quickly while at work.

another, CD through a mixer then to an amp ... channel where the CD is is up, master is up, then set the amp. If you have the channel and master very low and try to get the sound out strictly using the amp, noise noise noise.

Ok, bed time now hehehe
cmhardwick

Postby smata67 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:16 pm

I do have other preamp/amp systems and they don't exhibit hiss when the volume is turned up, so I was thinking maybe there was something wrong. If I disconnect the preamp, there is no hiss. Etom sent me a couple of preamps (he wants to get rid of them I gather) and I'm getting the same result with them, hiss. This is on 1/2 as well as 3/4. So what is being said here is that it is probably the preamp? If I want to get rid of it, I need to add some phono jacks to the amp and hook up another preamp?
smata67

PreviousNext