Control Xlobby via Wii Remote

Speak your mind

Re: Control Xlobby via Bluetooth

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:49 pm

Just an update,

Got the Bluetooth dongle last week, and installed BlueSoil 5.xx from their website, but something didn't go right. So I installed the BlueSoil version from the included install disc (version 2. something). Still had nothing but problems just basically setting up. Uninstalled everything, and started from scratch with version 5. That time I was able to sync with wii controller, but when trying out GlovePie, or Wiimote, my computer just rebooted. It was pretty consistant, the wii controller would sync in BlueSoil, but then reboot when trying the wii software. Well last night I un-installed everything again, and only installed the software that came on the install disc, then fired up the Wiimote software, and had control of the mouse via the Wii controller. I then tried GlovePie again, with one of its pre-built wii scripts, and again had control of the Wii controller. This is not using the IR sensor bar (or candles), so I don't have pointer accuracy at this time, but it is a positive start. Now I'm going to start creating my own scripts, and finally integrate it into xlobby.

Hey, this could be a real cool plugin for any plugin writer wanting to take on the task...it would also (as far as I know) be a first to be fully integrated (either via plugin or whatever) with any HTPC software on the web. Just a thought.

*EDIT*
I also changed the title of this thread to something more directed towards the wii remote as opposed to a generic bluetooth device.
Marbles_00

Re: Control Xlobby via Wii Remote

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:24 pm

Found this site that has a ton of GlovePie scripts:
http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Main_Page

Mainly there are ones for controlling Zoom Player, VLC, MPC, Winamp, MAME, SNES, ZSNES, Project64, just to name a few. Awesome site. I will now for sure play with these and try some of them out. Also found some basic command line stuff for GlovePie:

-FileName = load and run FileName.PIE (ex. glovepie -zoomplayerwmc)

/tray = start minimized to system tray (ex. glovepie /tray -zoomplayerwmc)

FileName = load but don't run FileName.PIE (ex. glovepie zoomplayerwmc)

/run = run the script specified from above parameter.

Note:
A) .PIE extensions are left of of script FileNames.
B) scripts should reside in the GlovePIE root directory.

If all this works, I'm going to start a script for controlling xlobby...well at least my Mirage skin, but using that as an example, one should be able to control any skin. I'll update more when I have more to update...'till then, talk to ya later.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:37 am

Hey Marbles, which bluetooth adapter did you get??? Is it a 10m (approx. 30ft) or a 100m (approx. 300ft, I think thats how it works), do you get good range??

Also what happens when you are controlling XL with the wiimote and then set it down and the wiimote goes to sleep, or does it not sleep? Does it automatically pair back up when you push a button on the remote and start working with the glovepie script or do you need to click on something first? I am hoping that once its working you can use the remote for as long as you need without having to manually do anything 8)

I am stopping tomorrow to try to pick up a dongle..I saw the wireless sensor bar at Target for $10 and will pick that up as well. Can't wait to get this working!!!

Thanks,
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:00 am

I haven't mucked too much with this lately...been busy updating my ZoneSkin4 with new features. I tried out a Zoom Player script and it worked pretty good. It didn't take advantage of the wiimote's accelerometers, but worked well. I just picked up a dongle off ebay, so I don't even know the range, though for me it doesn't really matter as I'm within 10m of the screen anyways.

I ended up constructing my own IR bar that plugs into the USB port. I tried using 2 high output IR LED's. They drop 1.2V each, draw 50mA, and have a 950nm wavelength. Hooked them up in series along with a current limit resistor of around 49.9 ohms. Unfortunately, first test reveal that it is only good for about 3 feet, using the wiimote software. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:08 pm

Cool thanks.
I will let you know how thing go here.
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:53 pm

Added another two IR Emitters and got the range to around 6 to 7 feet. That should be good for where I'm sitting. Two per side with about 11" of space in between. I noticed in the wiisoftware that at that distance, they were sensed pretty close together, so I might expand that space somewhat. If anyone is interested the basic circuit is shown below. It draws just under 100mA, which is the limit of the USB driver. Total cost around $10. Most of the expense went to the USB cable. Probably could have found it cheaper, but I just picked it up at the local electronics store since I was already there for other reasons. The Panny emitters I already had. The KL emitters I picked up at the same time as the USB cable for $1 each. The 49.9 Vishay's resistors I had available at work.
Attachments
wiidiysensorbar.png
wiidiysensorbar.png (3.94 KiB) Viewed 17636 times
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:20 pm

Picked up a Bluetooth dongle the other day at Staples and had a play with GlovePie. The dongle I picked up "claimed" to be 100 meters...not :lol: , I got maybe 30ft tops. I was using one that used the Wincom drivers not the BlueSoleil. It worked well but the one thing I did not like was if I went out of range with the remote I had to re-pair up the wiimote with the pc and restart the GlovePie script, do you have the same results :?

I am going to return the "staples" dongle and buy one of the cheap ones from ebay that use BlueSoleil to see if it's any different. I was really hoping to get a little more range out it as well.

Will keep you posted.
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:22 pm

I'll try the range tonight sometime. Something that I wasn't going to be too concerned about as I would not be operating the HTPC outside of the room, but would be nice to experiment for potential capabilities. I'll let you know what I find out.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:32 pm

Thanks for checking and yeah your setup is ideal for it :D ...but what do you have to do initially to get the wiimote recognized and working? What I mean is once you have everything setup the way you want with the pairing and script, what happens when you restart your computer?? Do you have to re-pair the wiimote or does it automatically pair up. Ideally I would like to use this as my only remote and not have to run anything before the remote was operational. I know alot of bluetooth devices can automatically "sync" up or pair with the computer once they are turned on (like a BT headset) as far as I know the wiimote cannot do that, correct?? That is where I think my biggest problem would be.

I saw on the Wiili forums that someone wrote a "script" to be able to pair up the wiimote by just putting it in discovery mode and clicking on a executable but I was hoping for something that did not require that.

Sorry, I am not asking you to answer all of these questions...just expressing my thoughts :lol:
scottw

Postby scottw on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:18 pm

Marbles,

Are you still using this???

I re-visited this again and I think my biggest issue is the initial pairing. If I put my computer to sleep and upon wakeup I have to re-pair the bluetooth and restart the script. I can automate the restarting of the script but the pairing is a manual process. If there was a way to do this automatically it would be perfect.

Just curious if you are still using it and how you handle these issues.

Thanks
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:00 pm

Nah, sorry, I've been way too buys on other projects as of late. Most notably the Maytrix project. Expect to see upgades to ZoneSkin4 out in the near future. I most likely won't get back into looking at this until a get a final HDD in the HTPC, and everything has been transferred to it.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:39 am

Hope its not too much off topic but id like to take this thread back to rockband for a while :D

I just did miss a perfect deal of rockband instruments due to my phobia off junk. U know its very silly but, well we humans have some quirks, and allthough i like to think its my enviromental conciesness... i have no problems to burn fuel with V8 or eat pretty much everything which walks on all fours, even if it cute.... so it must be a phobia rather. Its just i hate to end up with useless junk, its almost like every piece of junk is a dead body which i have to stash somewhere to be never found...

Ok if u didnt call the loonie wagon yet consider my question:

What is the best combination of instruments to buy at the moment so i dont end up with junk?

Considering:

- everything wired is ofcourse junk, except for the drumset (its not like u wanna tie that thing around your waist).

- I ordered guitar hero with two wireless guitars, so i hope im covered guitarwise.
- Singstar franchise is apparently putting out wireless mics this year (ive been holding out whole franchise so far, just not to end up with wired junk)

So hopefully only thing i still need is drumset, but do they sell it singular (i know they do for xbox, but it seems to cost as much as whole instrument set)?

Also is the rock band drumset fully forward compatiple with rock band 2 and guitar hero world tour? and if not what would be the best drumset to buy?

EDIT: just noticed theres stand alone drumset for rockband 2 in states... i guess i just wait them to get the game out here in old continent too. now does anybody know if rockband 2 drumset is equal to rockband 1 and world tour featurewise? and if not which one of the drumsets is most advanced?
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:33 pm

Also is the rock band drumset fully forward compatiple with rock band 2 and guitar hero world tour? and if not what would be the best drumset to buy?

EDIT: just noticed theres stand alone drumset for rockband 2 in states... i guess i just wait them to get the game out here in old continent too. now does anybody know if rockband 2 drumset is equal to rockband 1 and world tour featurewise? and if not which one of the drumsets is most advanced?

Just got Rockband2 for the Wii, and so I know first hand that the drum kit works fine. All the instruments are fine between the two Rockband versions, but I can't comment on Guitar Hero. Again this is for Wii, but I haven't had any problems yet. RB2 is so much cooler than RB1 from what I've seen. You get to play gigs, and 2 to 4 song sets in different cities, finally for the Wii there's character creations, etc. You get the mix of songs from dead simple to blazing difficult, instead of working your way to the most difficult as in RB1. I can hardly wait to get the chance to unlock "The Ace of Spades" by Motorhead. Even now for the Wii, there appears to be some on-line stuff...your band's rating is now global, I think you can even download songs, though I not really sure how to do it, or what the requirements are...guess I should read the manual.
Marbles_00

Previous