kXd -- kX Project driver control plugin via PervTalk

Xlobby plugin development

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:42 am

Marbles_00 wrote:. My autorun.ini is the following:
Code: Select all
kXd Card1 card1 0

As I only have the one card installed. The default.ini is the same as listed above. Versions are 0.91 of everything.

Hmmm i think it should be

kXd Card1 default 0

since default is name of the configurations file to be loaded and it should be given as second parameter.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:29 am

scalt wrote:Just tell me when it's there (and where to get it from if it's different then the other version)

Should now be out there... same ol' place.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:21 pm

My quest to figure out my woes continue. I tried all this out on a third system. This one is running Win 2k SP4, and it is a 2.8Gig w/512M RAM, IDE drive. Well it behaves the same as my music server which is the XP machine. XPert is offline if it has to load Pervhub. If Pervhub is started then it indicates that its online. Again like all the other systems, the text window would have "Does Not Compute" error.

Now, I downloaded the XPert update you did for Scalt, and though the loadup remains the same, the text box error message now responds with "Fetching...". Now that is a good sign as to me that would indicate that XPert is at least talking to kXd via Pervhub...but since I don't have the KX drivers installed on this particular computer...it will be trying to "Fetch" forever.

So I will have to try your latest XPert update, P3rv, on the XP music server tonight for sure.

Though this does not solve the startup issue, which now I don't think is an OS problem...but more of a hardware problem. Or maybe a resource priority issue (if that is a possible condition :?: )

I'll fill you in more later.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:25 am

Did u do the change to autorun.ini i mentioned above? it didnt help?
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:34 am

On it's own, changing the .ini file didn't do anything, but with the addition of the latest XPert you supplied to Scalt, I've now been able to bring up the bars properly in Xlobby on my music server Xp machine. This is using the dafault.ini state in a previous post (your mixer example).

I've been able to see the Xlobby sliders move when adjusting the sliders in the KX DSP. Now I just have to learn the ST Volume parameters and see if I can get them into XLobby. And now I have to learn how to control the bars from within Xlobby as opposed to adjusting them in the DSP and watching the resulting effect.

I also figure that I will just start Pervhub at system start so it will always be running in the background. This should get around the XPert offline/online buisness.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:00 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:On it's own, changing the .ini file didn't do anything, but with the addition of the latest XPert you supplied to Scalt, I've now been able to bring up the bars properly in Xlobby on my music server Xp machine. This is using the dafault.ini state in a previous post (your mixer example).

Very good... so i guess we better advice all later users just start testing with newest version right away...

Could u just post text field of one of those bars, so i could compare it to my own? just to double check that there is not any between versions pitfalls.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:32 pm

Could u just post text field of one of those bars, so i could compare it to my own? just to double check that there is not any between versions pitfalls.

Actually it was a copy/paste of the example you gave in one of your earlier posts. I only replaced spaces in the register alias with an underscore because that is how my default.ini file is set up. Example: Comp Front is replaced by Comp_Front.

I'll edit this post later tonight with what is there for sure.
Marbles_00

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:09 am

Okay, I've been able to set up and basic control the KX St_Volume plugins. But what I've noticed:

1) when using the following command:
Plugin: XPert
Command: Delegate
Variables: kX driver;Set;Livingroom>[[!instant!xPerT>Precise>kX driver>Livingroom]+100]

The bars go blank and I get a strange alien face looking back at me...see attached image at the bar next to Livingroom. I can recover, by decreasing the volume until it zeros out, then increase again.

2) I've been only able to control the bars once when clicking on them directly. Because I've only been able to do it once, I cannot for the life of me figure out what I did so I can do it again. Being able to click on the bars is an ultimate goal. This would give similar behavior to clicking on the winamp volume.

3) Like what Scalt mentioned in his Jan.22nd post, PervHub crashes periodically.

4) As you have noted, takes some time for the bars to refresh when first going to them, or if they haven't been viewed for a while and you quickly go to adjust the volume. Hopefully you can fix this. This would require quicker communication between PervTalk devices I would think.

Overall P3rv, I must admit....pretty 8) .
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:32 am

Marbles_00 wrote:Okay, I've been able to set up and basic control the KX St_Volume plugins. But what I've noticed:

1) when using the following command:
Plugin: XPert
Command: Delegate
Variables: kX driver;Set;Livingroom>[[!instant!xPerT>Precise>kX driver>Livingroom]+100]

The bars go blank and I get a strange alien face looking back at me...see attached image at the bar next to Livingroom. I can recover, by decreasing the volume until it zeros out, then increase again.

Yeah i cannot now exactly say why theres that alien... but there are few possibilities:

1. mayby area for bar is just bit too small (this is bit far fetched, and i dont believe its cause, mentioned it just in case however)
2. Those incremental commands where only added to xPerT, but no new version of kXd was made. So kXd still allows values to overflow. This is just something i would need to fix and release new kXd. There are also similar unfortunate small bugs there to fix.
3. Those webding bars are only meant for debugging anyway... theres also skinnable graphical bar support now... with those u wont meet aliens... unless u skin them u self :)

2) I've been only able to control the bars once when clicking on them directly. Because I've only been able to do it once, I cannot for the life of me figure out what I did so I can do it again. Being able to click on the bars is an ultimate goal. This would give similar behavior to clicking on the winamp volume.

Well... u should really restart kdx, pervhub each time u bring xlobby up... or rather let the automatic features take care about it... Ive noticed that if u just keep Pervhub running on back.... the clicking might not work. Ofcourse this is also unwanted behavior and i should eventually fix it... its just have not been my top priorities.

Also make sure that your screen name is given right and is also given in those bar IDs... cause screen check was added to supress clicks when user is viewing other screens, this was also causing plenty of headaches for scalt so mayby those posts give some pointers.

3) Like what Scalt mentioned in his Jan.22nd post, PervHub crashes periodically.

Yeah this one ive been experiencing too... and its gonna be hard one but important to locate this bug... Its just pervhub is coded with c++ so there might be couple hard to locate leaking pointers there :)

But does automatic recovery bring pervhub up again after crash?

4) As you have noted, takes some time for the bars to refresh when first going to them, or if they haven't been viewed for a while and you quickly go to adjust the volume. Hopefully you can fix this. This would require quicker communication between PervTalk devices I would think.

That is certainly true... there was some decisions made at beginning and pervtalk as such aint really suitable for any kind of activity which requires delays less than one second. However with considerable effort rules can be always bent somewhat... thats what i already did to get animations running smoothly for rika... so who knows... but on this department im not giving any promises. however time which it keeps old values cached up is much easier to change... mayby i can make it user controllable in some future version.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:05 am

Those webding bars are only meant for debugging anyway

Actually, I kinda like the bars. They're simple yet extremely functional. I was actually planning on using this concept in the new ZoneSkin for the winamp volume...and system volume, should Steven ever look at feature requests again.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:27 am

Marbles_00 wrote:and system volume, should Steven ever look at feature requests again.

Oh actually... as i have mentioned on this thread im also working on software which allows controlling of windows mixer via pervtalk, called either MiXd or mXd or something like that... needed soft to control AC97 part of my kX based cards and onboard sounds... but havent worked on it for awhile since xPerT has been priority.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby scalt on Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:57 pm

First of all, I wanna say thanks once again. The bars are working flawlessly.

However, I'm still having some problems with the autorun.

I've narrowed it down to this :

When there is only once instance of kXd called in the autorun, everything works 100%. In other words, when my autorun is

kXd Card1 Card1 0

or
kXd Card2 Card2 1

PervHub launches the instances of kXd without any trouble. Just so you know, I have been doing theses tests indepedently of Xlobby...just running pervhub.exe on it's own.

However, when I put both instances of kXd in the autorun :

kXd Card1 Card1 0
kXd Card2 Card2 1

PervHub crashes and I get an error message saying that either the first or second instance of kXd (or even both) has had an abnormal program termination. For this I see a very quick error message after I press "Don't send" on for the pervhub crash. I had also tried naming my instances of kxd "kXd1.exe" and "kXd2.exe" and putting the different executables in the autorun but it didn't help anything except for the fact that I could see which instance had crashed (which varied..)

Now, this bug is weird because if I don't use the autorun.ini, I am able to run both instances of kXd by launching them manually like I used to do.

Any idea what might be causing this? If you can't figure it out, it's not that critical...I'll just go back to the way I was doing it before by launching everything manually before running XL but I was liking the idea of the self-recovery...and the WAF boost

Thanks
scalt

Postby sharp_1 on Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:47 am

Bear - I wouldn't mind giving your plugin a shot. Please email me using my profile address. Thanks!!!
sharp_1

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:03 pm

Scalt,

I have no idea what could be causing it... allthough i have now had couple cards for some time... i havent yet run any test with two card setup. U made good repeatable testcase there so i will debug it eventualy... its just im having screen related probs on my older development system so pervhub & kxd are actually in ice until i find replacement for it. In meantime ill be working just on xPerT. So even if i figured it out, i wouldnt be able to fix it right now.

If its for WAF, mayby u need to loan that girl for B3ar for sometime... im sure that would be great boost for coding motivation :P ;) :D

Sharp,

Ill try to write u a mail during the weekend.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:35 pm

Okay, after finally messing with this again, I now think I'm in the exact same boat as Scalt. I have everything displaying, but when I go and change the volume, I get the kXd crash on one of the instances, and of course, the controls for that instance fail to work again (unless I do a total restart).

Hopefully you will be able to figure this out as once I get my PPC skins completed, this will be a critical path in the actual release of my next skin.
Marbles_00

PreviousNext