movies not playing anymore

Help each other out

movies not playing anymore

Postby cowanrg on Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:54 am

so, another new version of xlobby, and more problems. now i simply cannot play movies. the play button just clicks and does nothing. im a veteran user and am familiar with skinning and events. here is what i've checked.

file types. i have a file type setup that points to theatertek. the command line parameters are the same i've always been using. the directory is right, and theatertek plays the files just fine. theatertek doesn't even get loaded when i click play.

events. i've checked the event for the play button, and i know what event it is referencing. i have added little things to to it (go back, etc) to test it's the right event. i can add things to it, and see the changes, so i've got the right event. i had a relatively complex event that was to stop the music, dim my lights, turn on the tv, and execute the file. i have taken it down to just execute category 'movies'. i've even tried the 'play' command under categories. im using the same events file that i've used on this skin for 6 months.

database. ive checked the database internally to make sure the files are in the right places and being referenced ok.

music plays just fine. i only have xlobby setup for music and movies, nothing else. it works just fine for music, which is odd. but the play button just does not execute the movies category. what's wrong? here is something. last night it worked. i specifically watched a movie with it. today it didn't work. i didn't change a single thing on xlobby. however, my power went out this morning. could a file have corrupted? i've had xlobby crash (or the computer crash), and it corrupts the entire program. maybe that happened?
cowanrg

Re: movies not playing anymore

Postby bmblank on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:51 pm

Just to clear things up, with your complex button, did it do everything (stop music, dim lights, etc) except turn on TT? If it did everything except the TT it may be external to xlobby, but if everything in that particular action crashes, then it would lead me to believe it is something in xlobby.
If you wanted to avoid reinstalling xlobby outright you'd have to start replacing files at the low level, but xlobby isn't difficult to get up and running, so I'd suggest just reinstalling it and hope it works.
bmblank

Postby bmblank on Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:12 pm

Just to clear things up, with your complex button, did it do everything (stop music, dim lights, etc) except turn on TT? If it did everything except the TT it may be external to xlobby, but if everything in that particular action crashes, then it would lead me to believe it is something in xlobby.
If you wanted to avoid reinstalling xlobby outright you'd have to start replacing files at the low level, but xlobby isn't difficult to get up and running, so I'd suggest just reinstalling it and hope it works.
bmblank

Postby cowanrg on Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:30 pm

it does every command but the execute category command.

i did a full reinstaall (well, partial install), and nothing happened.
cowanrg

Postby cowanrg on Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:53 am

anyone? is actually playing movies secondary to sound and visual effects now? when did functionality take a back seat and let slickness ride shotgun?
cowanrg

Postby defrag on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:52 am

Have you tried testing the button event in the event manager? If you open the setup when on the correct screen and test the event then it should perform as if you were pushing the button on the screen. Have you checked that the button still has its event in the skin editor? Have you tried setting up another button and rebuilding the events? Just a few pointers.
defrag

Postby cowanrg on Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:21 am

yes, i've tried all that.

it just won't recognize the 'category > execute' event. i have added new ones, etc, nothing works.

i checked the database, it's fine. i checked the files types, they are fine. is there a way to just do an OS file execute and send the parameters there? for instance, can i click play and have the event execute theatertek and send it the correct path? i tried such an event, and it loads theatertek, but i don't know if it can pass the movie file as well.
cowanrg

Postby cowanrg on Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:30 am

i messed with it some more, and the execute movies command does NOTHING. all other commands i tried do something, but the execute command just fails to respond.

is there a workaround?
cowanrg