Play BluRay - Not images

Speak your mind

Play BluRay - Not images

Postby ozphobia on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:57 pm

Hi All,

I recently built a HTPC but am having real problems finding a portal that plays blurays natively, or using a seamless plugin.

The best I have found, and I hate to say it, it the playmovie plugin for media centre.

Does xlobby freeware (which I think is the xlobby2 stream) support bluray, or is a plugin available?

Can you launch an external player like playmovie to play blurays?

I will do an install and see what I can do, I thought I woudl ask as all the searches seem to point to rip/playback, but I am certain this must have been persued.

Cheers
John
ozphobia

Re: Play BluRay - Not images

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:41 am

Read through this forum thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6548

and the link in the first post. It should help you decide if Xlobby will work for your needs.
Marbles_00

Postby ozphobia on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:27 am

Thanks Marbles,

So it seems, like most other frontends, that HD or BluRay playback is only by a onerous process of ripping to an image to remove DRM then playing back the image.

Looks like Media Centre, and with 'screen scraping', MediaPortal are the only ones to offer a insert disk and play funtionality.

Cheers
John
ozphobia

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:14 pm

With Xlobby, you can control external aps. If PDVD, or TMT can be controlled via command line or window switches, you can use Xlobby to control them, and launch a movie from disk. I know older versions of PDVD are controllable, as there have been posts on how to do it. People just have a tendency to rip the movies to hard drive, and archive the disk.
Marbles_00