text scrolling options

Got an idea, post it here

text scrolling options

Postby jowaldo on Mon May 08, 2006 6:07 pm

I have some text boxes like

audioplayer>now>%artist% - %trackname%

and if I check "enable scrolling" it always scrolls the text.

Sometimes the text fits in the box, and in those cases I don't want it to scroll. It's kinda pointless to scroll then.

But when the text is too long to fit, then it would be nice if it scrolled.

Also I'll try to explain this too...

When scrolling the text scrolls all the way from right to left, then when its fully scrolled all of the text, it starts all the way over again.

It would be nice if there was an option so it scrolled from right to left like always, but when the tail end of the text shows up finally (on the right side), it stops for a second, then it all dissappears, and starts from the right again.

Normally right now the tail end has to scroll all the way to left side before the text shows up again, which means there can be quite a few seconds where just the tail end is showing, which can be useless... especially when you are standing there waiting to see what the beginning says.
jowaldo

Re: text scrolling options

Postby dalanik on Mon May 08, 2006 8:35 pm

What I'd like even more is for text to scroll left-right (if it's longer than the text field).

I.e. it would scroll from right to left until it reaches the end of text, pause a bit and scroll back from left to right until begining of text is reached and then again....

D.
dalanik

Re: text scrolling options

Postby jowaldo on Mon May 08, 2006 8:36 pm

dalanik wrote:What I'd like even more is for text to scroll left-right (if it's longer than the text field).

I.e. it would scroll from right to left until it reaches the end of text, pause a bit and scroll back from left to right until begining of text is reached and then again....

D.

That would be cool too!

Just having a few different scrolling options would be nice
jowaldo

Postby vicom on Tue May 09, 2006 3:52 pm

+1
vicom

Postby m_masta on Tue May 09, 2006 3:56 pm

How about also the option of choosing to go to next page of a text ? that is choosing to scroll with an event as well.
m_masta

Postby jowaldo on Tue May 09, 2006 5:41 pm

another huge one that I have requested before, but can't hurt to ask for again, is when a category item is selected where the text doesn't fit, that -only- when highlighted it scrolls the text. That would be huge for me. ;)
jowaldo

Postby jowaldo on Tue May 09, 2006 9:52 pm

Ok so I'm getting carried away here, but I have another idea.

Say you have a text box that only allows one line of text... It would be nice if the text vertically scrolled (bottom to top, or top to bottom) one line at a time, pauses for a second, then goes to the next line, and endlessly loops.

So you could put in something like this:

audioplayer>now>%artist% %/% %trackname%

which normally would make two lines of text.

A good example is in iTunes.. when playing a song, it does this at the top of the screen. It does this with the artist and album name.
jowaldo

Postby dalanik on Tue May 09, 2006 10:40 pm

Yes, it;d be cool to have more text scroll effects... but it'd be even more cool to have all the bugs fixed! :-)
dalanik

Postby jowaldo on Tue May 09, 2006 11:27 pm

dalanik wrote:Yes, it;d be cool to have more text scroll effects... but it'd be even more cool to have all the bugs fixed! :-)

i guess so ;)
jowaldo

Postby stevenhanna6 on Thu May 18, 2006 10:18 pm

new text scrolling added,

http://www.xlobby.com/xlobby2screentest.zip

4 modes, off, simple, bounce, loop....also not that you can have text scrolling on a category now.....this will scroll the currently active item if it does not fit in the box.

And something else I added while I was doing this was paging text, so when text gets cut off you can now goto to the next page....you have to give your button a buttonid and use the event "xlobby->button next page" to taget.
stevenhanna6

Postby jowaldo on Thu May 18, 2006 10:59 pm

stevenhanna6 wrote:new text scrolling added,

4 modes, off, simple, bounce, loop....also not that you can have text scrolling on a category now.....this will scroll the currently active item if it does not fit in the box.

And something else I added while I was doing this was paging text, so when text gets cut off you can now goto to the next page....you have to give your button a buttonid and use the event "xlobby->button next page" to taget.

thanks for adding this! It comes in really handy for the categories.. and it works real well!

I can't seem to see a difference with the different scroll modes though. Are they only for specific different things?
jowaldo

Postby stevenhanna6 on Thu May 18, 2006 11:21 pm

whoops forgot to enable the new ones, should work now.

stevenhanna6

Postby jowaldo on Thu May 18, 2006 11:28 pm

stevenhanna6 wrote:whoops forgot to enable the new ones, should work now.

lol I was sitting there staring at each one trying to see a bit of a difference, and couldn't...

it works great now!!! this is awesome... gonna be super handy in a lot of places!!

thanks!!
jowaldo

Postby jowaldo on Thu May 18, 2006 11:30 pm

not to be picky, but would it be possible for loop (or a separate loop option) to go from one line.. scroll up one, pause a second, go to the next, pause, etc...?

Also with loop it seems to scroll up a bit too high on the last line, so when it pauses for a second before starting over, the top of the text on that last line is cut off :S
jowaldo

Postby bfauska on Fri May 19, 2006 2:20 am

COOL.

Thank you Steven, it is sooo nice to be able to show the whole movie description now with the next page feature. I spent so much time trying to figure out how to not need scrolling in the past that I didn't have much use for the other options yet but I am sure I will like those too now that they are available.

Jowaldo, (and Steven)

I noticed that with the next page option that the top of the text gets cut off too, unless you carefully set the size of the text box. I don't know if it is something that could be easily fixxed or if we just need to be carefull with the text box sizing but it still works good enough for me.

Thanks again Steven, you rock.

Later,
Brian
bfauska

Next