Jukebox Jr. project

good place to post your setup and get feedback from others.

Postby rembetis on Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:34 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:Couple of questions.
1) What do you think of those T-Amps? I've read some peoples reviews of them...some love them, other can't stand them. For what they are worth, It may be worthwhile to snag one off ebay and have a listen...but I just wanted to know your personal unbiased opinion.

2) How are you powering it (the T-amp), from AC (with its own supply), or from the computer 12v supply?

For $29 brand new (at PartsExpress) I think the T-amps are proof that the human race actually is making some kind of progress. Sure, they won't fill a large room, and the bass won't exactly have your pant legs flapping, but reports of their clarity are not exaggerated. I can't imagine why anybody would buy one of those crappy iPod speaker sets when you can get a T-amp and any halfway efficient monitor of your choice.

I am powering it with a 12v 1300mA wall wart that is housed inside the case and connected (together with the adapter for the LCD screen) to a passthrough plug on my power supply. I read a bunch about modding the power supply, but since it already had a fairly full complement of computer components connected to it, and I was already a little worried about creating a fire hazard, I decided the wall wart was my best bet.
rembetis

Postby bmblank on Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:16 pm

Though they don't match, the speakers themselves are beautiful. I love wood and you really made the woodgrain pop. I think you'd have to spend too much time and money getting the speakers to match to make it worth it. The radio kinda looks like a birdseye or some strange (ie, expensive) wood and trying to match it would be difficult.
bmblank

Postby PhilB on Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:43 pm

Thanks for the followup on this project. I plan to start my own version soon based on your inspiration with a slightly smaller approach.

As to the wood finishing issue, if you want the stain to finish evenly, apply a sanding sealer first. It makes the stain apply more evenly and reduces the blotchiness.

Thanks,
PB
PhilB

Postby rembetis on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:13 am

PhilB wrote:As to the wood finishing issue, if you want the stain to finish evenly, apply a sanding sealer first. It makes the stain apply more evenly and reduces the blotchiness.

Believe it or not, I did just that. I think the light spots must be a very thin layer of glue I was unable to spot with the naked eye.
rembetis

Postby PhilB on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:24 am

I believe you. I have missed glue spots before too. Traditional wood glue needs to be completely sanded off so that the stain will get absorbed.

What is done is done. Still looks ok to me.

PB
PhilB

Postby rembetis on Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:12 am

Though I didn't care for the way he expressed his feedback, P3rv3rt and the others who criticized the look of the buttons had a very good point. So, in an effort to do better I stained some wood plugs and even hammered in a little lettering with old type setting slugs (though you probably won't be able to pick it up in the photo, the buttons have "on" "off" "E" [for eject], and the last one is blank). The master power button will remain as is, because it has approx. 1" of hot glue holding it in place. Appreciate hearing whether its an improvement or not.

rembetis

Postby bfauska on Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:26 am

The new buttons definately make an already cool project even better.

Great job, I am sure your friend will love it.

Later,
Brian
bfauska

Postby abobader on Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:27 am

bfauska wrote:The new buttons definately make an already cool project even better.
Later,
Brian

+1

Yes, it sure dose.

Till the truth tho, it was a mistake looking to this thread, I am only doing for the past 2 days, opening old boxes, wife getting mad and keep asking, what I am looking for, well, answer was "rembetis sprits".

I hope I can do similer project as rembetis did, "how it look" never been an issue, what count most, it will work.

My best.
abobader

Postby sdumas on Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:52 pm

Just a thought...

I like what you have done, and yes, the new wooden pegs are a definite enhancement.

Here is a suggestion for your last little esthetic make-up for the red button.

What about a round piece of wood that would fit on top of the red button. You could glue it on top of it and you would get the "complete" wooden look. You could do as you did for the pegs, ie. stamp on some lettering that would match the rest.

In my opinion, that would make it really nice !!!! (not that it's not nice right now - it is, but even better)!!! It'd be the cherry on top!

Good work - nice job!
sdumas

Postby rembetis on Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:48 pm

sdumas wrote:What about a round piece of wood that would fit on top of the red button.

Good suggestion! I'm getting down to the wire (leaving tomorrow to visit and give the gift) but I should be able to squeeze that in.
rembetis

Postby rembetis on Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:14 pm

OK, last post on the subject. Final shots below after a few more coats of stain and polyeurathane on the speakers, and the new buttons. Thanks everybody, sincerely, for your feedback.

rembetis

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:27 pm

It looks extremely neat now. New pegs match much better prestigious looks of other elements and give much more unified looks as a whole.

Otherwise it was always extremely neat piece of equibment... and will make great gift to anybody, even more so if we consider effort u have put in it, thats all too rare in gifts nowadays.

If i had friends like u, i bet i would hate moving much less than i do. Im sure your friend is going to be very impressed tomorrow.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby rembetis on Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:43 pm

Thanks P3rv3rt. Sorry I was so touchy before. You hit a nerve. But you got me motivated to do better. So I guess that makes us even :wink:
rembetis

Postby bmblank on Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:41 pm

Does indeed look good. There's always room for improvement, but not much in this project..
bmblank

Postby sdumas on Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:51 pm

Nice!

I'm curious about how you connected the LCD screen to your Video Adapter.

Was there some type of VGA connector on the LCD, or you had to create a special connector with a controller.

I have about 10 older 12" LCD display on older laptop, I'd love to find a way to connect them on a standard PC. I'd rip the display off the laptop and connect "magically" to a standard VGA port - what's your magic?

Thanks!
sdumas

PreviousNext