Bears HTPC

good place to post your setup and get feedback from others.

Bears HTPC

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:53 pm

To celebrate the fact that i have just completed first beta version of my HTPC. Im giving little peek to my system... I was planning to do worklog while i was building it, but i was too lazy... sorry about that guys that could have been much more useful...

here is close up of Xlobby starting up
Case is Origen AEs X15e, I have to say i didnt find anything to complaint about it. System is having SLI capable mobo and running 4 disc striping PATA RAID.

here is pic little farther
Here u can see my adaptation of rikas skin "Raped Dragon" running. Too bad that colors of X15 and DVD players dont quite match... From this error i learned the fact that black is always black. Dont mind about audio equibment on left side... is very old, but i have limited funds available for home theatre so i dont fix stuff unless its broken... Oh BTW i did the rack myself :)

here is pic litttle behind seating area.
That little spot of light under picture is my X15 from earlier pics, screen is about 100" (horizontally, not diagonally like usually specified) front projection. And question of week is do u know which movie is playing? :)

Ok im sorry about picture quality... its because of my shaky hand and nokia 9500s damn lousy VGA cam. If u want to know more about my setup dont hesitate to ask...[/img]
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby bfauska on Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:29 pm

Your setup looks great. I don't know the movie, but I don't mind looking at it.

Is that a Sony DVD jukebox, and if so is it tied into xlobby? I am trying to control my DVP-CX995V with my usbuirt and am having many little issues, if you are successfully controling a Sony changer I would love to hear more about your setup.

Thanks for sharing,
Brian
bfauska

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:30 pm

Yes, im controlling it and its DVP-777ES, i bought that particular model because it has rs-232 port for control. So im not tied to possibly unreliable infrared. Currently im using commandline software, which was freely available from sourceforge to control it, like many others in this forum, but been reading trough interface and i will implement plugin for PervTalk for changer later, cause theres many yet unexploited possibilities...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby bfauska on Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:40 pm

thanks for the reply. I was worried that it was a 777, it looks like that is the one I should have purchased. On that changer do you have any trouble jumping directly to title 1 on your dvds. I know that with the 995 the title jump feature is blocked by many dvd menus and forced trailers. I was also curious if the onscreen display lingers after disk or title changes on the 777. I am thinking about returning my 995 and saving a little more money until I can grab a 777, I don't use my DVI output anyway because my projector has better scaling than the sony and it won't scale the digital input.

Thanks again,
Brian
bfauska

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:01 pm

bfauska wrote:thanks for the reply. I was worried that it was a 777, it looks like that is the one I should have purchased. On that changer do you have any trouble jumping directly to title 1 on your dvds.

Yeah i have some goddamn probs with that. I think its UOP related. Allthought my player is REGION and PAL modded... UOP mod wasnt yet available when i purchased it... There has not been single disc which i couldnt have programmed to start right how i want, but on some discs i have to make this very much like computer would be person using player... and that combined with all FBI, FACT, MPAA goddamn unskippable copyright shit takes time... :( Well in hometheatre it is not really a problem, since u do theatretical program, display trailers and so on while player is getting ready... but im still furious about how they just invented UOP is restriction only for their legimate customers... ok sorry about this turning to rant... Ive been very happy with player though... almost worth of its price (cost me quite much to mod, ship and import it to europe, in form of different taxes and customs. )

EDIT: not to even mentioning that those freaking illegal aliens were burning cars in Paris just in time to cause me about 100€ extra costs because of temporal shift in euro-dollar exchange rates.

2nd EDIT: oh the OSD linger for second, maximum two... never bothered me too much, so i havent even looked if its possible to turn off... but now that u mentioned i started to wonder, hopefully its possible to turn off ;)
Last edited by P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby bfauska on Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:20 pm

Sorry to hear it has not been the best experiance. I am about ready to return mine and go back to a HDD based video storage solution. The cost and time might be a little more in the long run, but the way a movie plays back is so much cooler when it is ripped to a HDD without all that FBI and Copyright crap, also no menus, no manually choosing DTS instead of DD and then add to that the ability to stream throughout the house to other PCs, I am really close to taking the changer back. I think I will mess around with IR control for a few more days, but that's about it.

I suppose I could let your thread get back to being about your HT again.

</Hijack>

Later,
Brian
bfauska

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:29 pm

Dont worry about "hijack" its not like these theater threads would usually enjoy much discussion anyway.

Oh no, mayby my tone sounded worse than my experience with it. Overall im very happy with it. Actually im thinking to order other one (with UOP-mod this time)... I know that its about time for next disc technology... but it wouldnt be waste since i have more than thousand DVDs and no plans to replace them all.

EDIT: oh i plan not to manually choose DTS, im currently working on solution which would allow me to choose sound and subtitles from category in xlobby and command player accordingly. Only im having slight problem with xlobby cats... been asking about it on other threads, but so far no-one has provided answers :(
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:51 pm

Goddamn it, im so &%#&* pissed. I manage to get PS3 in the morning... but F___KING HD-projector has not arrive yet!! I mean i ordered it two weeks ago for crying out loud!!! What im supposed to do now?!?! doesnt really make sense to watch blu-rays in SD... fuck!! weekend totally spoiled.

BTW i was expecting problems to get PS3, but it was surprisingly easy... i went there 30 minutes before shop opened... i was expecting to see people camping outside... or atleast 100 meters long line... but no, turned out i was first one there... by the time shop opened there was mayby 10 people waiting... so atleast from northern perspective, doesnt seem like european launch went too well for sony.
P3rv3rt B3ar