xLobby, is it right for me?

Speak your mind

xLobby, is it right for me?

Postby weird_ideas on Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:35 am

First let me say that I'm probably going to offend more then one user and thats by no means my intention. For those I offend I appoligize.

Second, my background, I'm the owner of a Custom Electronics company. I've been involved in AV for whats comming up on 15 years with a couple of years before that in 12 volt. I don't only enjoy this stuff, but I'm lucky enough to make a living at it. This is why I think I'm going to offend people, I make a living at this and I don't see a problem wth the creator changing his strategy to go from a hobby to a profession since this is kinda what I did.

Recently something that clients have been asking for and we've been installing are media servers. My situation, since its not just a business, but a passion, it the price of these products. I've had an eye on xLobby for awhile, but since it could not be redistributed, thats all I've done, kept an eye on it.

Now that its going comercial, whats it going to be. I know that there are many current users that are going to be alienated because of this, but many more other users that are going to see the value of this.

Now my question. is it right for me, both as a individual and professional? What can and what will xLobby be able to do. What I'm looking for is the following:
-Stable
-easy to use (you already have, great onscreen GUI and it looks like more to come)
-3rd party control- being able to be controlled by AMX or other automation controllers
-Multi-Zone support (be able to watch/listen to different content in different areas at the same time) (a little confused how this works now if it does)
-Easy install and support (simple DVD/CD ripping, coverart and cataloging all in one and automatic)
-Skinable (you got it)
-support for bulk loader (something like supporting Sony's VGP-XL1B2. Fusion Research wrote an application to use this changer and the changers relatively cheap)
-a few other things but this is the jist of it

To give people an idea on pricing, Fusion Research just came out with a product that marketed as a low cost media server and it starts at $7500 for a single room. AMX MAX starts at $10K, Kalidascape starts at $10K, Xperinet starts at $7500. Its true that all these include hardware. Its also true that none of these sell the software alone. If you were to subtract the estimated cost of the hardware, the software stills going to cost several thousand dollars. Even if xLobby's going to cost a few hundred dollars ts still going to be a bargin compared to other products.

Steven, best of luck to you and your new venture. I'm going to watch very closely and enthousiastically.
weird_ideas