LUA integration

Got an idea, post it here

LUA integration

Postby cooldog on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:41 pm

Integrating LUA into Xlobby (as it is in Girder) would be the biggest single enabler for new capabilities that I could imagine.

With LUA integration, many folks that require Girder in addition to Xlobby to handle their needs might be able to meet those needs entirely within Xlobby.

If you have LUA, you have pretty much everything on your system available to you, without having to write individual plugins , since LUA can talk to COM objects.

A Script Event is what I would envision as a start, as well as a way to access LUA variables when designing a screen.

What do you say, Steve?
cooldog

Re: LUA integration

Postby dalanik on Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:04 pm

Sorry, what would be advantages of LUA over XScript/XScriptNG plugins?
dalanik

Postby cooldog on Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:11 pm

That's an interesting question.

One possible answer: if it's integrated, then users might know that it actually exists? (I looked under the "Plugins" link at the top the the site to see what was available - silly me!)

OK, I feel a bit better - I'm piqued because I feel stupid that I did't find it before this, but OTOH, it sure as hell *should* be on that plugin page.

Better answers - Lua is easy to integrate, well documented, used by a LOT of HTPC enthusiasts because of Girder, and it is designed for *exactly* this sort of use.

Also, if it were integrated, Lua variables could be accessed transparently, with no need to copy them into an Xlobby variable.

I'll have to take a look at XScriptNG, now that I know it exists.
cooldog

Postby dalanik on Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:34 pm

Cool, we both learned something! :-)
dalanik