Touchscreen workaround ideas?

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Touchscreen workaround ideas?

Postby Mouse on Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:15 pm

For reasons of uxorial (that’s wifely, in plain-speak) harmony, I need to develop a skin that’s similar to another non-Xlobby skin we’re already using. With minor exceptions, I feel up to the task. I’ve already got the graphic look and feel that I desire (i.e., she won't notice the difference), as well as the basic functionality, but I’m having a few problems that I hope you all can help me with.

Bascially, I need a list of menu options (a category box populated by a database or otherwise), the active/selected one of which is highlighted visually (say, for example, the background color behind it changes to light gray – I’ve already managed this). In another part of the window I need two buttons, one “up” and the other “down”, which move this selection correspondingly up and down to reselect a new active option. Finally, I need a third button, “enter”, that enacts the highlighted command when touched.

Briefly, I’m trying to work around a very limited touchscreen that’s already installed. My thought is that if I can create and display upon it, in effect, an overlay screen with the buttons and functionality in the appropriate places, then I can intercept the output from the screen (which is hardwired into the wall and to several other pieces of equipment) and redirect it, probably with USBUIRT, to Xlobby. I’m currently able to come up with a workable and highlightable menu system but every time I float the mouse over the screen the selected menu item automatically deselects itself. Also, I have no idea how to link the selected item to the “enter” button to the event that I want to trigger (or if this is even possible).

Any ideas how to accomplish this?
Mouse

Postby Mouse on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:45 pm

Ah, the work continues. Something about actually sitting down and formulating a question lends itself to coming up with a solution by one's self (at least partially). With the judicious use of custom events (mostly category>back and Xlobby/buttonselect followed by nextitem, previousitem or nav/enter) I've managed to be able to create a menu that can be navigated without actually touching the menu itself (i.e., just by using the "control" buttons). The secret appears to have been using buttonselect to return the focus to the menu button and then using the other controls to programmatically enact the command. Now on to the rest of the project (controlling it by remote, mostly), unless any of you have any other ideas on a better way to do this. :lol:
Mouse

Postby Colby on Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:49 pm

Is it just me or did anyone understand a word he just said?!
Colby

Postby Mouse on Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:07 pm

It wasn't really that complicated, but I apparently have a knack for making it seem so. My apologies. Anyhow, that aspect of the problem is now solved. It's nice to know that people are listening.
Mouse