kXd -- kX Project driver control plugin via PervTalk

Xlobby plugin development

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:07 pm

Could this be same bug Scalt identified on one of his nov 28th posts. I was going to fix it about week ago, but turned out that screen on older development PC (where i have this MSVC++ environment setup) was so horrible that i didnt wanna spoil my vision... Im looking for new screen, but all these new things like DHCP and other stuff to understand... might take a little while. Also i wanna find non-wide screen one and it seems to get hard already. WTF, who in right mind would ever want to use widescreen on computer (i can understand it on laptop cause it better matches for keyboard form factor and watching movies on train, but on tabletop?)... people are totally DUMB. widescreen is great for movies... totally useles for anything else. and who would ever watch movies on computer screen anyway???

So i was just thinking that mayby u could meanwhile use same kind of strategy, if it is indeed that before mentioned bug... inserting some dummy register aliases there...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:08 pm

Yeah I could do that.

Scalt, sorry to bother you, but could you put up one of your latest .ini files as an example. I think I understand what your doing, but nothing beats actually seeing an example.
Marbles_00

Postby scalt on Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:28 pm

Here they are :

Card1.ini
Code: Select all
Den:0:13:0x8002
Kitchen:0:12:0x8002
Dinning:0:9:0x8002
FadeMute{
Den:0
Kitchen:0
Dinning:0
}
FadeDefault{
Den:500
Kitchen:500
Dinning:500
}
FadeMuteDen{
Den:0
}
FadeMuteKitchen{
Kitchen:0
}
FadeMuteDinning{
Dinning:0
}
FadeMuteLiving{
}
FadeMuteOutside{
}
FadeMuteOther{
}

Card2.ini
Living:0:13:0x8002
Outside:0:12:0x8002
Other:0:9:0x8002
FadeMute{
Living:0
Outside:0
Other:0
}
FadeDefault{
Living:500
}
FadeMuteDen{
}
FadeMuteKitchen{
}
FadeMuteDinning{
}
FadeMuteLiving{
Living:0
}
FadeMuteOutside{
}
FadeMuteOther{
}

autorun.ini
kXd Card1 Card1 0
kXd Card2 Card2 1

NOTE : My autorun.ini isn't working properly. pervhub seems to crash whenever the autorun has to call 2 instances of kXd.
scalt

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:00 pm

Scalt,

i did some test with that problem, however not full two card tests there wasnt really much functionality implemented on another .ini file and i didnt try to control second card from xlobby. But i wasnt experiencing the pervhub problem. As far as i understanded in your description that should happen right in the launch, but with my autorun.ini pervhub seemed to stay up and also i could confirm that both kXd instances were running.

If it would be that u would loose kXd instance i would tell u to double check its configurations .ini file, but its really wierd that u loose pervhub... hmm i cant really say much.

heres autorun.ini i used in tests

PervClient
kXd hiihaa default 0
kXd helevuta default2 1
ZPd

hmm i bet u already did... but doublecheck your autorun.ini so that it doesnt contain any extra characters... even whitespaces...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:29 pm

Just to make sure Scalt, these are your file locations, right?

C:\
+Program Files
| +pervtalk
|  |  +pervhub.exe
|  |  +autorun.ini
|  |  +PervWare
|  |   |  +kXd.exe
|  |   |  +Card1.ini
|  |   |  +Card2.ini

if theyre on different locations... move them like this.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:36 pm

P3rvB3ar,
What's the PervClient?

When my crash occurs, it's when I go to adjust the volume control, if I click on the arrows or bars I can get it to crash kXd. For me, what I've noticed, and I'm going to have to play with it some more, but Pervhub doesn't crash until I try and close the current hub down (to restart after making changes).

Scalt,
Thanks for the .ini files. I wasn't sure where to add the dummy entries. You cleared things up. I'll let you know later how it goes.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:54 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:P3rvB3ar,
What's the PervClient?

Its crude debugging tool which allows commandline access to pervhub running on local machine.

When my crash occurs, it's when I go to adjust the volume control, if I click on the arrows or bars I can get it to crash kXd.

Double check your registers on .ini files. Also if it would happen just on arrows it could be caused bu the fact that kXd wont check that value is valid. This is know bug. And u could try that far fetched idea i was having, that it could be scalt nov 28 bug... notice though that in scalt case those were dummy fades... what u could try would be dummy registers... it might be that u would actually have to take idea so far that u would add dummy stereo mixers to your DSP... but as i said this is just very far fetched quess... there could be lot of other reasons... i would start by double checking those ini files.

EDIT: and actually seeing scalts registers pretty much shutdown my theory. cause he is having separate register names on different cards, and he dont have that problem with volume... question though is if he is using firstname or callsign of device when calling those... what im trying to say marbles, is if u r using firstname pervhub will send command to both kXd instances and since there is no register alias like that on other one and no safeguard in place (also know bug) it will crash. So i think what u should do is make sure that bars and arrows are actually using kXd instances alias name instead of first name, but scalt can prolly say is this right? do alias names work properly and so on...

For me, what I've noticed, and I'm going to have to play with it some more, but Pervhub doesn't crash until I try and close the current hub down (to restart after making changes).

this is nothing to worry about... its happening to me too... im pretty sure its because when perhub is bringing whole infrastructure down it will try to close already closed TCP-connection and that causes error. ill just need to add little more intelligent shutdown procedure... or rather one more error handler ;) to clean things up properly... this though has never been very high on priority.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby scalt on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:07 am

Allright, so I moved the files (they were in d:\xlobby\Applications) and now it works.

I had to rename PervWare to "pervware" and PervHub.exe to "pervhub.exe"....It would seem that alot of your path finding is case sensitive.

Regardless, it works now for me :D

Also, I don't really remember what you mean with the first name/last name but I beleive that when I call some Fades, I use the default name to call it...in other words, I don't call a card specifically, which is why all my fades are present in both ini files. If I remember correctly, there was a bug when you called an alias on a specific card.

Here are some examples of the events that I use..
  <event>
    <name>Mute All Zones</name>
    <commands>
      <command>
        <type>plugin</type>
        <execute>command</execute>
        <parameter>xPerT</parameter>
        <parameter>Delegate</parameter>
        <parameter>kX driver;Slide;FadeMute&gt;1&gt;2</parameter>
      </command>
    </commands>
  </event>
  <event>
    <name>Mute Den</name>
    <commands>
      <command>
        <type>plugin</type>
        <parameter>kX driver;Slide;FadeMuteDen&gt;1&gt;2</parameter>
      </command>
    </commands>
  </event>
  <event>
    <name>Zones Default Volume</name>
    <commands>
      <command>
        <type>plugin</type>
        <parameter>kX driver;Slide;FadeDefault&gt;3&gt;6</parameter>
      </command>
    </commands>
  </event>

Hope this helps!
scalt

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:44 pm

Thanks guys...my whole way of thinking was different from the actual nature of how this all works. I ended up falling asleep so I didn't get a chance to make changes and try it out. Hopefully tonight.

Thanks for all your patience.
Marbles_00

Postby sharp_1 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:09 pm

Hey guys, not sure if this is a dumb question but can I use an identical sound card (CL0350) if I wanted to? I just am thinking that there may be conflicts???
sharp_1

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:13 pm

I think it should work just fine... i dont have personal experiences though. Sorry about being lazy and not getting mail sent yet... ill do it later tonight. oh pair of ZS 2 thats sweet setup :P... ill need to scout more on huuto.net (funnish ebay)
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby sharp_1 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:38 pm

Great news on being able to use another CL0350!!! I have one CL0350 working with 3 zones and am getting ready to wire the rest of the house, hence, the additional card needed to create an additional 3 zones. Now I remember Bear saying something about getting even more zones out of the CL0350 but haven't played around with that at all...right now I just want to try the xPert plugin to see if that will make my sweet setup into an even more sweet setup!!! I look forward to working with xPert. I really like what Marbles_00 is doing with the zoning skin and my motivation level has definitely increase with the news that xl2 will be staying with us!!! Thanks Steven!!!

Marbles_00: You mentioned that a friend of yours is building a plugin that will work similar to the virtual audio cable program...any news on that???
sharp_1

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:36 pm

Last time I talked to him about it, he was still having a problem with sputtering and skipping everyonce and a while.

Sharp, what you could try, and for me, so far it seems to be working. If you didicate each 0/1 FXBus of each card to drive all the outputs of the card. Then dedicate each card to zones within the same range of each other. Try out the multi-out plugin for winamp and instead of using the Direct sound outputs, use the Waveouts to each 0/1 channel. The sound is slightly off from one card to the other, but in my case, each card is dedicated to a floor in the house, so the sound will be seperated per floor and shouldn't be too noticable. Check out the ZoneSkin3 thread. Scott and I have been discussing it. If you do try it, let me know of your findings, but as I've said, its not perfect, but so far for my purposes, its acceptable.

P3rv, sorry to go off the kXd track :wink: ...back on now.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:22 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:P3rv, sorry to go off the kXd track :wink: ...back on now.

No probs, thanx for people going offtrack here, we now have Scalt setup :)

Sharp,

I sent u mail using forum mailer, ive never used it before so just let me know if it didnt arrive and ill use backchannels to resend...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby sharp_1 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:30 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:Sharp,I sent u mail using forum mailer, ive never used it before so just let me know if it didnt arrive and ill use backchannels to resend...
I got it...thanks!!! what a password, too funny!!!
sharp_1

PreviousNext