Homeseer plugin

Xlobby plugin development

Postby Bill Lott on Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:59 am

No offense here, but why write a plug-in for a old version that is no longer supported? Make the switch to HS2. It is solid, fast, and has great support. plus... it makes a great combo with xLobby!

Bill
Bill Lott

Postby fletch on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:54 am

The plugin uses the .NET remoting capabilities of Homeser 2.x and it's speaker client interface for communication with Homeseer. In order to support HS 1, it would require adding a tremendous amount of code to handle the communications back and forth. It is simply not something I'm willing to do. If you're set on remaining with HS 1 you'll need to look elsewhere.

Aaron
fletch

Postby Aaron on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:50 pm

Bill,
Many people still use HS1.7, it is solid. HS2 costs a boat-load and offers no gain for me.

Aaron,
As I explained in the previous post, I'd think it would take very little time if you used the method I am already using with my Python script. I'm a crappy coder and it only took me a half a day to do the Python... and I had never used Python before, only VBS & JS. I suspect you are a better coder then I thus it would take you an hour or two max.

If I can do it in a half a day, I'm sure you can in an hour.

Here's the code in case you are interested in seeing it:

[url]http://members.cox.net/affini/HomeControl_1.8.zip[/url]
Aaron

Postby Bill Lott on Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:23 pm

Aaron. Bite the bullet and upgrade to HS2. There are many benefits - ESPECIALLY Fletch's plugin!

Bill
Bill Lott

Postby rembetis on Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:37 pm

Aaron wrote:Many people still use HS1.7, it is solid. HS2 costs a boat-load and offers no gain for me.

+1.7 :wink:
rembetis

Lets let him work on current version...

Postby Keifer1 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:48 pm

Fletch is doing all of us a big favor by creating this plugin for free, If he stops working to go backwards then he must run and test a version no longer supported and probably doesn't have running, Additionaly new plugins and features are being devloped for the current project HS 2. If people want to pay for fletch to set up and work on past versions he will decide to do so? But for now let him work on what he wants to and get his software going as he wants -- It's fee for us so don't look a gift horse in the mouth! :)
Keifer1

Postby Jay on Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:52 pm

+2.102 :wink:
Jay

P.S.

Postby Keifer1 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:57 pm

You could always go and buy main lobby :(
Keifer1

Postby Aaron on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:28 pm

Keifer1,
Though you have the right to your opinion, your input is not helpful.
What have you contributed... to any community that makes you an authority?

You've been in this community how long?
Oh yea... 4 WHOLE POSTS worth of time!

You can buy Mainlobby, HS2 or whatever, we don't care and it is off topic for this thread. The only comments, positive or negative, that matter are from Fletch and the people that would like to see the feature added. Just becasue you do not does not make you an authority or give your the right to speak for Fletch.

I have even offered example code and to work with him... so buzz off.

Fletch,
I've ask for functionality that would support additional XLobby users. I've done the same with my projects, that were all free! I never charge for my work in the HA/HT communities... and I have contributed 100s of hours worth of code and graphics work.
Including helping alpha/beta test XLobby in the early 2.0 days. I did not use it long since it never interfaced with HS and the thin client was too slow for 802.11b using 800x600 (my previous touchscreens) but I still helped out becasue I want to see the community benefit.

Now I'm back and hoping XLobby can fill my needs. I'm currently looking to use Homeseer 1.7 and in the maybe Girder 5 once it is released if it fits the bill better then Homeseer.

Ultimately, I'd like to duplicate layout and functionality (though crude in the ASP pages) of this interface: http://members.cox.net/ltek/hact.htm

As always, I will freely contribute all my work and graphics to the community.

You can see some of the interface work I've done in the past, just use the link in my sig... all the images under the NetRemote interface I created and many of the ones in the XBOX Media Center interface.
Aaron

Postby rembetis on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:56 pm

Aaron wrote:Keifer1,
What have you contributed... to any community that makes you an authority?

Should you care to prove Aaron wrong, how about explaining and uploading any relevant files/software related to your serial control of your HK 635. That's a popular AVR and I'm sure many (including me) would appreciate it.
rembetis

Postby fletch on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:19 pm

People, let's not argue too much about this. At this point I have no plans to support HS1.7. I believe it would require too much work to change the plugin to work, especially considering there are other alternatives already. As Keifer1 metioned I don't have a functioning HS1.7 system any longer. Testing from my side is impossible. Too further complicated matters I have never written a HS1.7 plugin, and my only current development environment is Visual Studio .NET 2005. I'm not sure whether this can even be used to create a plugin for HS1.7. Then comes the largest constraint... time. At this point I simply don't have the time to invest in developing multiple versions of the plugin, I'm having enough trouble trying to devote the time I have to this version.

So the only way a HS 1.7 compatible version of the plugin will come about is through a team project. Are there any developers out there that would like to work on this? The current plugin is written in VB.NET. I'm not a developer by trade, I'm self taught so the current code is a mess. But if you'd like to help with this let me know and we can clean this up and see what we can do.

Aaron
fletch

Postby Aaron on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:47 pm

Fletch,
I understand your points. Thank you for the response and offer of your code.

I've never used VB.NET but I can try since I'm fairly fluent in VBS. I'm wondering how much of my ASP (vbscript) would port over easily. I read where .NET can use older code... have you seen/heard anything about that? Maybe we can take the code I have and use it directly inside the vb.net code with some minor mods, like the GUI output?

if you want to see the code go here and click on the first image, it links to the ZIP: http://members.cox.net/ltek/hact.htm
Aaron

Postby kuntakintay on Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:00 am

Aaron,

I am going to chime in here, take it or leave it. I normally dont get involved with this type of discussion, but I was so amazed at what was being said that I couldnt bite my lip.

Would you (or anyone else) write a windows app to support those still running 386's running windows 3.1? That's basically what you are asking fletch to do by supporting 1.7. .Net is not backwards compatible. 1.7 doesnt support .net plugins. And above that fletch said he wasnt going to do it, so I dont see what the discussion is all about.

Bottom line, I dont know any active automation person still running HS 1.x (and I am very active on the HS bulletin board). Secondly, I dont know any of them that have even thought twice about paying the upgrade fee to keep moving with the times. Most of us have all spent thousands if not tens of thousands on our automation systems (hardware and software) and continually upgrade to the latest and greatest or are always looking for a better way. I agree with the other poster's, its time to bite the bullet and upgrade, or expect that things just arent going to be developed for the minority.
kuntakintay

Postby kuntakintay on Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:09 am

fletch,

Just curious how development's been going? More specifically if any of the performance issues related to multi image painting and the dim state imaging discussions we had previously have been addressed with a new version? I havent been up here since the beginning of Jan, and didnt see any updates but thought I would check anyway.

Hope all is well.

Regards,
Toby
kuntakintay

Postby amblix on Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:00 pm

I love this plugin!!!

I cant wait for the 2 way communication!!!
amblix

PreviousNext