Apples New IPAD

Check here for the latest news on what is going on

Apples New IPAD

Postby wesblack on Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:54 pm

We have been hearing speculation about Apples next big thing the IPAD, well Steve Jobs launched it today. So what does everyone think about the IPAD ? Yes we have plans to redo some of the webserver technology in xLobby to better the experience for use with the IPAD.

Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Hz8dhQw8Q

The Apple IPAD:

Apple Ipad group shot.jpg

zz7401-27-10ipade132b0.jpg

IMG_2638_610x406.jpg

ipad-keyboard-dock-pr-1.jpg

Wes Black \ Calrad
Last edited by wesblack on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wesblack

Re: Apples New IPAD

Postby PhilB on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:23 am

How much does the iPad cost?....will be a big factor.
PhilB

Postby wesblack on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:29 am

Starting at $ 499.00, Check this link out at Engadget.

http://www.engadget.com/

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby Grooby on Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:43 am

Looking at reports it can't multi-task which is madness :( ...hopefully i'm wrong, but seems to run on OS 3.2

I might still get one tho...just to run iphone skin...er ipad skin :D
Grooby

Postby smarty on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:34 pm

Quoted from another board.....

"The Archos 9 seems to be the main competitor. It runs Windows 7 and allows the use of USB devices as well. It has a webcam as well as the ability to load any software that you want and not from the apple store. It seems they included many of the extras the pad needed to include."

and the Archos 9 is cheaper (with all the bells and whistles) $550.
smarty

Postby wesblack on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:28 pm

Archos tablet:

archos-9.jpg

Intel ATOM Z510 1.1GHz Processor
512KB L2 Cache, 400MHz FSB
1GB DDR2 400 SDRAM
60GB 1.8" Hard Drive
8.9" WXGA (1024 x 600) Resistive Touch-screen LED Backlit Display
Built-in 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
Intel Poulsbo US15W video chipset (combines the Intel GMA 500, Memory controller, and I/O controller in a single-chip solution)
802.11b/g WiFi (PCI-E interface, 1 antenna)
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
10/100 Ethernet Controller (via port replicator)
Realtek ALC269 Audio, 2 built-in Stereo speakers, built-in microphone
Optical finger navigation system (trackpoint) with left and right Mouse buttons
Built-in leg stand
Ports: USB 2.0 (2 additional ports via port replicator), 3.5mm (1/8") Audio out (1 additional Output via port replicator), Microphone-in (via port replicator), Ethernet port (via port replicator)
Approximate Unit Dimensions: 10.08" x 5.28" x 0.67"
Approximate Unit Weight: 1.76 pounds

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby Jay on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:13 am

I've been looking at the Archos 9 for a while and have been holding back until the iPad reveal.
So what do you think, Wes?
Looks like the Archos will make a good client.
I just want to control my XL server, not use it to render media.
Jay

Postby Grooby on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:42 pm

wesblack wrote:Yes we have plans to redo some of the webserver technology in xLobby to better the experience for use with the IPAD.

Wes

Are you able to explain what these new features may be as i'm seriously thinking of getting one?

Andy
Grooby

Postby wesblack on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:57 pm

I just want to get our hands on one to see what we could do to improve the webserver side of xLobby. We have some idea's but nothing ground breaking yet...!

The next few years will be very interesting with how people will move there content around and what companies will be in control of the content, Apple continues to corner all aspects of how people interact with there content offline and online, Movies, Music, TV shows, etc.. I was just playing with Apples latest version of there AppleTV software, simple and straight forward GUI with smoother integration of Apple networked products, services and managed content.

We have been tossing the idea around about creating Apple style widgets that work with xLobby and stand alone applications, it's hard to not acknowledge the power of Apples products and there infiltration into peoples homes managing content.

Even thou many xLobby users and customers love the ability to get under the hood and tweak things............there are still so many users that want simple and plain setup and access to there content without all the clutter of options and features.

The consumer has so many options to choose from it's difficult to choose one type of product or service over the other.

CES 2010 was filled with companies showing tablet style input devices, most consumers have no interest in them for daily computing because of there cost and lack of appeal, it's only been the home automation and control sector or specific areas of medical and industrial adopters that really see value in these devices. Since Apple has such a huge following of touch style input devices they may be able to finally bring tablets to the masses at an affordable price point.

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby Grooby on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:39 am

You could always bend Stevens arm and make an xlobby apple application like the one you can purchase for xbmc in the app store to control xlobby (i'd purchase that in a heart beat!!)...now that would be very nice!! :wink:
Grooby

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:28 pm

My take, the IPAD is just a tablet PC...nothing new, nothing special. Tablet PC's have been around for a long time. The only thing Steve Jobs was able to do was to create a swell around a technology that's been here for years.

Yeah, Apple made it look pretty slick, but how well will it compare/standup to a Micro$oft tablet that's been around for a long while now.
Marbles_00

Postby billberet on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:36 am

watch tosh.0

i love what he does to his Ipad
billberet

Postby wesblack on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:32 pm

Video here: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8KqD2JlzIA

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack