Rom2Xlobby "create your roms databases" www

Xlobby plugin development

Postby Naylia on Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:39 am

precisely...there's nothing like playing super mario brothers with the old school controller

i have a logitech wireless rumblepad (looks like a ps2 controller), but it's really not the same at all. i feel like half the experience of a game is how it was designed with a controller in mind, and the other half is the nostalgia over being 10 and having an NES again

i think it's probably the same reasoning behind why some people build upright cabinets with hundred-fifty dollar two person joysticks for their MAME setups (i've been contemplating doing this myself)
Naylia

Postby dgemily on Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:40 pm

look at THERE to see some screenshots of a skin using databases created by rom2xlobby :wink:
dgemily

Postby Naylia on Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:23 pm

mine does too now....so that will be out with the next release
Naylia

Postby mattdisaster on Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:05 pm

dgemily,
Thanks for this plugin, I'm happy to see it got completed, but I can't get it working. First when I would go to compile my database it would give me a weird dos error (I'm running win xp pro on a ntfs formated drive). So I went and updated the uCON64 program with the windows release they had, that atleast got me past that error and gave me the chance to view the window of uCON64- but only for a second. I can tell I get a few errors but the window closes and gives me the "Done!" message, but I cant find anything to prove that. If its any help, I have all my roms (only 3 systems, Nes, Snes, and Sega) in
Code: Select all
f:\Games\Roms\
from here each system is in their own folder ie:
f:\Games\Roms\Nes\
and from there each game is in their own folder with corisponding coverart
f:\Games\Roms\Nes\Super Mario Brothers.nes
Any ideas? Thanks again, you guys are great!

-matt
mattdisaster

Postby dgemily on Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:51 pm

mattdisaster wrote:dgemily,
First when I would go to compile my database it would give me a weird dos error (I'm running win xp pro on a ntfs formated drive).

hy matt, you ha ve an error like that :
everybody will get this error, forget it, it's not a problem....
you don't need to update ucon64 ...

download and extract the repertory then run rom2xlobby. if you have a lot of roms, the application will be not quick jsut wait and don't mind about dos errors.
dgemily

Postby losj407 on Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:16 pm

dgemily:

Is there any chance of updating Rom2Xlobby to use the Win32 version of uCON64? I am running Windows XP x64 and DOS programs do not work in 64-bit Windows. I currently have to run Rom2Xlobby on my laptop (32bit XP Pro), then transfer everything over to my x64 machine with Xlobby.

Also, are there plans on adding any other databases for other emulators?
losj407

Postby losj407 on Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:19 pm

mattdisaster wrote:dgemily,
Thanks for this plugin, I'm happy to see it got completed, but I can't get it working. First when I would go to compile my database it would give me a weird dos error (I'm running win xp pro on a ntfs formated drive). So I went and updated the uCON64 program with the windows release they had, that atleast got me past that error and gave me the chance to view the window of uCON64- but only for a second. I can tell I get a few errors but the window closes and gives me the "Done!" message, but I cant find anything to prove that. If its any help, I have all my roms (only 3 systems, Nes, Snes, and Sega) in
f:\Games\Roms\
from here each system is in their own folder ie:
f:\Games\Roms\Nes\
and from there each game is in their own folder with corisponding coverart
f:\Games\Roms\Nes\Super Mario Brothers.nes
Any ideas? Thanks again, you guys are great!

-matt

Matt I had a lot of issues too but it eventually worked for me in XP Pro with NTFS. I had to create a UCON64 folder and edit Autoexec.bat to tell uCON64 to use this as the home directory. I think I also had to d/l a bunch of emulator .DAT files an place them in this folder. It took a lot of playing with but I finally got it working. If you need any help or want me to go into it further let me know.
losj407

Postby dgemily on Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:33 am

losj407 wrote:dgemily:

Is there any chance of updating Rom2Xlobby to use the Win32 version of uCON64? I am running Windows XP x64 and DOS programs do not work in 64-bit Windows. I currently have to run Rom2Xlobby on my laptop (32bit XP Pro), then transfer everything over to my x64 machine with Xlobby.

did you try by rsubstitute the dos version by the win32 one ? is it working ? if not, I will see with badubo, if he can do something ;)

losj407 wrote:Also, are there plans on adding any other databases for other emulators?

not really now, but tell me which one do you want ...
anyway, I built some spiders for on mobygames.com, you can scan your roms and them. look at this post : http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3640

losj407 wrote:Matt I had a lot of issues too but it eventually worked for me in XP Pro with NTFS. I had to create a UCON64 folder and edit Autoexec.bat to tell uCON64 to use this as the home directory.

I don't understand, is the error prevents you to finish the scan ? i use winxp pro + ntsf and I have also some error but I can use the application correctly...
with ucon64 you get an error when the file scanned is not a rom or when ucon64 can't identify a file as rom ( and I'm sure you have a file that is not a rom in your repertory because when you download the rom2xlobby databases it will create an xml file in your roms repertories).

losj407 wrote: I think I also had to d/l a bunch of emulator .DAT files an place them in this folder

you don't need to do it, you have also an error for that, but it will not working better with dats... with use ucon64 as a "diverted" application. it's not really the fonction of this tool that why we have some errors ( you don't use all file and configuration for ucon64) don't mind about these, that should work correctly for our need.

matt wrote:I can tell I get a few errors but the window closes and gives me the "Done!" message, but I cant find anything to prove that

do you have your roms databases in the repertory databases of xlobby ? did you get covers in your roms repertories ?

later
dgemily

Postby losj407 on Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:02 am

did you try by rsubstitute the dos version by the win32 one ? is it working ? if not, I will see with badubo, if he can do something ;)

I did try using the win32 file and it didn't seem to work. If guys could make it work with this it would be awesome!
not really now, but tell me which one do you want ...
anyway, I built some spiders for on mobygames.com, you can scan your roms and them. look at this post : http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3640

I basically have ROMS for many systems besides the Nintendo and MAME. Such as Genesis, Atari 2600, Turbo Grafix 16, NeoGeo, GameGear, etc. I did actually play with the spider for mobygames and that works nicely. It is just hard if you have hundereds of ROMs to do them one at a time.

I don't understand, is the error prevents you to finish the scan ? i use winxp pro + ntsf and I have also some error but I can use the application correctly...
with ucon64 you get an error when the file scanned is not a rom or when ucon64 can't identify a file as rom ( and I'm sure you have a file that is not a rom in your repertory because when you download the rom2xlobby databases it will create an xml file in your roms repertories).

Yes the error prevents the scan from finishing. I understand that you will get errors every now and then for roms and it will still finish. But I had to set the Configuration Directory for uCON64 manually in order for it to work correctly. It was trying to use NTUSER.DAT or something like that if I remember correctly which is a known issue with uCON64 and is covered in the included documentation.

you don't need to do it, you have also an error for that, but it will not working better with dats... with use ucon64 as a "diverted" application. it's not really the fonction of this tool that why we have some errors ( you don't use all file and configuration for ucon64) don't mind about these, that should work correctly for our need.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I needed this step or not. :(

do you have your roms databases in the repertory databases of xlobby ? did you get covers in your roms repertories ?

I did get covers for all my ROMS that ROM2Xlobby supports. Once I got it to work it works great and I love it! Thanks for the info and for the great app!!

[/quote]
losj407

Postby mattdisaster on Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:57 pm

Thanks for trying to help, sorry to be short, but I'm late for work and I had alittle to much to drink at the holloween party last night. hah. I just tried to get it to work (did a clean install of it the way dgemily orig said to in the install txt). It wont work. Oddly enough now I get a .net framework error from it. On the .out something of ucon64. If I push through it it wont make my file databases or anything. Could it be that I've named all the rom titles there correct names? ie: Final Fantasy 3.smc and such.

-matt
mattdisaster

Postby dgemily on Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:55 pm

mattdisaster wrote: Could it be that I've named all the rom titles there correct names? ie: Final Fantasy 3.smc and such.

-matt

nope, it use ucon64 to indentify your roms , its not by the name of your roms... ( rom2xlobby indentify your romls by name only for zinc and MAME)

later
dgemily

Postby mattdisaster on Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:38 pm

Thanks for the support, but I'm still getting that wierd error when it tries to compile the databases:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "C:\Program Files\rom2xlobby\ucon64.out".
File name: "C:\Program Files\rom2xlobby\ucon64.out"
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)
   at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize)
   at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path)
   at Rom2Xlobby.Rom2Xlobby.CreateRomDba(String rom)
   at Rom2Xlobby.Rom2Xlobby.btCreate_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Rom2Xlobby
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2074.38116
    Win32 Version: 1.0.2074.38116
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/rom2xlobby/Rom2Xlobby.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.xml/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.xml.dll
ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib
    Assembly Version: 0.6.0.0
    Win32 Version: 0.6.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/rom2xlobby/ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.

Any ideas?

-matt
mattdisaster

Postby dgemily on Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:04 pm

can't understand :?
did you leave all the files on the rom2xlobby repertory ?
are your roms on the same pc (than rom2xlobby and xlobby) ?
did you try on another pc ?

later
dgemily

Postby mattdisaster on Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:01 am

Alright I just did some tests and got it to work! I got it running on my test machine, but only after I took all of the roms out of the their seperate directories and put them all in one big one. So I went from:
F:\Games\Roms\Snes\Final Fantasy 3\Final Fantasy 3.smc
F:\Games\Roms\Snes\Final Fantasy 5\Final Fantasy 5.smc
etc. etc.

To:
F:\Games\Roms\Snes\Final Fantasy 3.smc
F:\Games\Roms\Snes\Final Fantasy 5.smc
etc. etc.

So it looks like I'll need to remove all the roms from their seperate directories and place them in the main \SNES\ directory- this makes me not happy. Not only is that a huge pain in the arse, but I have gone through the trouble of taking stills of all the games I have and placing them into the directories \stills inside each of the roms folders. Any way I can edit the import template? Any ideas on howto get all the files in the subdirectories to main one(other then doing them all by hand, which is almost out of the question)? Thanks!
Now that kinda sucks.

-matt
mattdisaster

Postby dgemily on Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:59 pm

ha yep, you should use, only one roms directory by platform...
I have not any tip to help you but I think that we can find a tool to do it for you. maybe someone has one ?

later
dgemily

PreviousNext