Xlobby Web Server - What is it?

Help each other out

Xlobby Web Server - What is it?

Postby WannaTheater on Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:42 pm

Can someone explain the difference between xnet and xlobby web server?
I believe I need xnet for multiple zones, but how (and why) does one use Web Server?
I am using last free version. I connect through power PC using xlobby2sd.exe, and am looking for web-based alternatives....

Thanks!
WannaTheater

Re: Xlobby Web Server - What is it?

Postby Marbles_00 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:54 pm

Correct, XNET is used for multiple Xlobby clients as a means to control and to communicate to a Xlobby server. These clients can be used as fat clients (full Xlobby versions), where the server database is copied over, or thin clients, which is the xlobby2sd executable running, and all information, skin, setup and database are contained on the server.

The Xlobby webserver is a service of Xlobby which will allow the display and control of the server via any machine that has a web browser, and that can be connected to the webserver. The independent machine does not have to have Xlobby on it, nor does it need to run any sort of Xlobby code. The machine does not have to be a part of the Xlobby XNET environment, hence it may not show up as a zone or client. It doesn't even require it to be a M$ OS, it could be a Linux machine or even Apple. As long as it has a internet connection, and a web browser, and as long as you have setup the webserver properly on the Xlobby server machine, you can connect and control the Xlobby server.
Marbles_00

Postby WannaTheater on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:40 pm

Thanks Marbles... so how do I connect to it?

If I go into F2 menu, I "Start Web Server" with a blank password, and port of 8002. Then I try browse using http://localhost:8002/ and page cannot be found. I've also tried on a remote machine with no success. Does Microsoft IIS need to be installed and running?

Can Xnet Server AND Web Server be running at the same time?
WannaTheater

Postby WannaTheater on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:09 pm

I got is working.... forgot about Firewall
WannaTheater

Postby Jay on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:28 pm

Glad you got it sorted and yes ("Can Xnet Server AND Web Server be running at the same time?") they can.
Jay

Postby WannaTheater on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:12 am

While the webserver seems to be cool, my skin has some limitations....
There are several places where I run XscriptNG scripts to make decisions about which screens to pop up. (I actually popup screens from within the scripts, i.e. XLobby.ExecCommand("xlobby", "show overlay new layer", myScreenName)

The odd thing is that when I push the buttons which ultimately execute the scripts, the screen pops up on the server, but not in the browser. But when I push a button in the browser that is directly attached to a "show overlay new layer" event, all works as planned.... Not good.
WannaTheater

Postby dalanik on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:48 pm

Yes, that's the problem with webserver... my skin also relies on xscript heavily and it just doesn't work fine with webserver. ;-(
dalanik