V2: New Versions ? Install ?

Information related to the pre-release commercial version of xlobby

V2: New Versions ? Install ?

Postby thekochs on Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:36 pm

Well,

Finally gotten to a point that I know PL7 reasonably well and want to move forward....noticed there is some new downloads (4) in my license section, 2.0.733xx.xx.

Anyway, some questions before I jump in........

1) Do I just use the latest 2077-12-19 2.0.07353.3 and forgo the previous...assumes all previous are in this one ?
2) Do/Can I install this as an update to my current V2 ?
3) Should I do this upgrade to my current V2 or can I use this download as a new installation and be able to keep my current version
of PL7 and just use another license key for this ?

Thanks.
thekochs

Re: V2: New Versions ? Install ?

Postby cmhardwick on Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:59 pm

1) that's what I did. (IF you are using xEvent for timed events of any sort, you will not be able to use the new default skin because of some of the IP radio entries. If this is the case you need to change the entries in a couple of the xml files that have & in them to and, spelled out)
2) yes, you can just install it over your current install
3) you can also do a clean install in a different directory if you have a spare license.
cmhardwick

Postby thekochs on Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:33 pm

OK....small problem.

I have XL FREE in the C:\Program Files\XLobby and when I installed XL PL7 I put in C:\Program Files\Xlobby2.
Now if I try to choose either Partial or Ful upgrade it places the updated files in XLobby directory. How
do I get it to point to XLobby2 ? I have alot of items in my Custom Skin under XL PL7 that points to
Xlobby2 folder items so just renaming would not be a good choice for me.
thekochs

Postby cmhardwick on Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:39 pm

it's picking up the free install as the install directory? Mine always picksup up the pre-release directory. Hmmm, have to think on this one.
cmhardwick

Postby thekochs on Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:20 pm

When I launch the EXE it sees I have a existing XLobby installation. I'm not sure if this is because of the XL PL7 installer that has given some registry settings or that it is just looking for Prog Files/XLobby. Either way the next screen gives me many options.......Partial or Full UPDATE....or new install to another directory (kinda like I did before with PL7 where I put it in XLobby2). If I choose Partial or Full UPDATE it does not give me a selection for a directory to install these updates to....however, when I continue and see the extraction/update going it is clearly loading to C:\Program Files\Xlobby....not C:\Program Files\Xlobby2 :(

My thought was since "XLobby" (FREE) was not really installed (folder just copied/created) to just save/move it off to some temp directory name. Thus, under Program Files there would only be XLobby2 which was the one installed from PL7 installer....run the new EXE again and see.

UPDATE:
Well, I moved & renamed my Program Files\XLobby directory (which contains my XL FREE) off to MyDocs. I then re-ran the 2.0.7353.3 installation EXE. It still saw I had a installed XLobby installation (must be from PL7 2.0.7291.1 previous installer and registry I assume since I moved the XLobby FREE one to MyDocs with name change). Anyway, it gave me the options to Install (basically blow away my current install and start over), Partial or Full Update (the latter meaning Default Skin is updated too) and also "Keep & Install". This last item is what I used to install the 2.0.7291.1 into Program Files\XLobby2 awhile back....since my XLobby (FREE) was in Program Files\XLobby. Anyway, I decided to proceed into this option and soon saw it asked me for all my media directories....clearly meaning it was not seeing my defaults and/or was going to blow them away. So, I backed out and went into Partial Update. I ran thru it and sure enough it created a NEW Program Files\Xlobby directory. It did not update Program Files\XLobby2 directory...to confirm I ran XL from Xlobby2 and it still was 2.0.7291.1. :(

CMhadrwick, is your directories setup the same ? Are you sure your updates went somewhere else than Program Files\Xlobby directory ?

So, I've rolled back my machine to previous state (thanks goodness for Norton GoBack). My only thought is to move XLobby directory, rename XLobby2 to XLobby, run partial update....hopefully updating my XLobby2 in XLobby "named" directory, then again rename this updated XLobby directory back to XLobby2....move back my previous XLobby FREE directory to XLobby and see if all works. :shock:

Let me know if you think of something else or how you achieved....I must be missing something simple. I would have figured the installer would let you point to the installation you want to update ? :?:

After all this I may be motivated to say bye-bye to XL FREE.....however, still think the installer/updater should allow you to point to the directory you want the installation/update files to go.
thekochs

Postby cmhardwick on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:33 am

Yes, I run the partial or full updates and it goes to my xlobby_prerelease directory, not the xLobby directory.

There is a registry key, My computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\xlobby
one entry, a REG_SZ type, name is (default) data is c:\Program Files\xlobby_Prerelease (in my case)

there's a duplicate key under my computer\HKEY_USERS

Search for these and make sure they point to your pre-release install directory. That's probably the problem. They got written as xlobby instead of xlobby2 (or whatever you called your alternate install directory.

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
cmhardwick

Postby thekochs on Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:13 pm

cmhardwick wrote:There is a registry key, My computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\xlobby
one entry, a REG_SZ type, name is (default) data is c:\Program Files\xlobby_Prerelease (in my case)
Search for these and make sure they point to your pre-release install directory. That's probably the problem.
They got written as xlobby instead of xlobby2 (or whatever you called your alternate install directory.

That was it...can't believe I didn't think of it since I knew it must have been a registry entry...ugh...thanks !

I also went back and stored off XL FREE.....bye bye to the past. I then re-arranged and put XL PL v2.0.7353.3 in it's rightful place C:\Program Files\XLobby (which the reg changed back).

Also, for what it is worth....the "Partial" Update/Install wiped out (reset) my File Types tab (my TheaterTek command was gone and new ones there). Also my Overlay Event in MovieViewer Screen got mucked. I had the PLAY button assigned at entry and exit in the Skin Editor (my HTPC Custom Skin) to the Coverart showing and reset Plugin. This was cleared. I would think since it is custom skin this would not have been reset.....also was suprised by File Types in F2 being cleared. Not so "Partial" as I would have expected but all is good....now to play with the new stuff. :)
thekochs

Postby cmhardwick on Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:21 pm

on the new versions, I use the internal player, so don't need the file types. Haven't noticed actually. Main reason I'm still on the old version (free) for most things is that I can't get the internal player to work for movies reliably when controlling via thin client. On a PC it will work if I MIMIC, on a PPC, it never works. Steven and Wes are aware of this issue and are working on it I think
cmhardwick

Postby thekochs on Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:51 pm

cmhardwick wrote:on the new versions, I use the internal player.........

What codecs do you have installed to use the internal player ? I ask because I drive PJ to 110" screen, 63" Plasma TV, 37" & 32" LCD TVs. I'm using TheaterTek because the PQ of it's NVidia codecs are IMHO the best PQ. All I play is HDD based DVDs (Video_Ts/IFOs).

If you decide to change I'll send you the TT items if you want.
thekochs

Postby cmhardwick on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:37 am

I've got TT of course for the other version :)
The codecs are FFDShow and the nVidia is also being triggered, I believe by the internal player if I remember correctly.
cmhardwick

Postby thekochs on Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:57 pm

cmhardwick wrote:I've got TT of course for the other version :)
The codecs are FFDShow and the nVidia is also being triggered, I believe by the internal player if I remember correctly.

Oh OK...you're good then.
thekochs