How to shut down just the thin client PC

Help each other out

How to shut down just the thin client PC

Postby rembetis on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:21 pm

Here's a simple question that I'm sure has a simple answer... I just haven't figured it for myself yet ;-)

Using a thin client replicates the skin and controls the behavior of the server, so a "shutdown" button will shutdown the server, not the client.

From within a skin, how do I just shutdown the client and leave the server alone? I can create a "ppcexit" screen that replaces the exit screen of the sever, but how do I send the shutdown command across the network?
rembetis

Re: How to shut down just the thin client PC

Postby scottw on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:01 pm

Cant you just do a straight "exit" command from the "Xlobby" section of the commands???

I have a thin client running on the same machine as the server and if I run the "exit" command from the thin client it just closes the thin client and if I run it from the server it closes the server (and crashes the TC since there is no connection anymore)

I can also run the exit command on my PPC and it close the client but leaves the server alone.
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:03 pm

Just making sure I'm understanding you. Do you want to shutdown the client from the server end?

The normal way is to run an xlobby/exit client event. This can be performed by a button right on the client, and will only shut down the thin client. I haven't tried it from the server, but I suppose it may shut down the thin client as well.

Another way you might be able to do it is via XSend. You may be able to setup an event to os/kill the client.exe on the thin client, then Xsend the command to that client's IP address.
Marbles_00

Postby rembetis on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:07 pm

Hmmm... you're right, Scott, exit does work, but the idea is reveal as little of the "Windows" backend as possible. This particular client lives in an antique radio case and seeing Windows and using the start menu kind of spoils the fun a bit, but if that's what's necessary, then so be it...

Initially, it looked like I could use the remote shutdown options in shutdown.exe (as explained here) but I must have my Admin privileges screwed up somehow because I'm getting an "Access is Denied" message from the client pc.
Last edited by rembetis on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rembetis

Postby rembetis on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:09 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:Just making sure I'm understanding you. Do you want to shutdown the client from the server end?

Yes. I want to shutdown the client, using the client, without exiting the skin (which is of course controlling the serer). I can create a separate "shutdown client" command and button, or use a "ppcexit" screen on the client, but the trick is sending that shutdown command remotely across the network.

[edit: I misunderstood your question at first.]
rembetis

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:45 pm

Hmmm... you're right, Scott, exit does work, but the idea is reveal as little of the "Windows" backend as possible. This particular client lives in an antique radio case and seeing Windows and using the start menu kind of spoils the fun a bit, but if that's what's necessary, then so be it...

You could try and setup an event to exit the client, then Xsend an os/execute/sleep.exe to the client IP. So what should happen is that the client should exit, and then go to sleep, and you should only catch a brief glimps of the window OS.

I also have used a program called shutdown.exe, which works really good too.
Marbles_00

Postby rembetis on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:06 pm

Well, XP's built-in shutdown.exe was giving me all kinds of authentication headaches (time to go back and do a refresher on all that stuff), but I did manage to get this to work using a nifty little app called PowerOff.

This runs as a service on both machines and allows you to execute a remote shutoff command via command-line using a pre-arranged password and port #.

Hope that's helpful to someone else one day...
Last edited by rembetis on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rembetis

Postby scottw on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:07 pm

So you are running a server on one machine and using the TC to connect to it thru a computer in the radio case, right......COOL.

It may just be me but a few tips that have helped me:

I run one machine (server) with 2 monitors (one a touchscreen) and I wanted independent control over each so I opted to run the TC on the same machine...the touchscreen runs the thin client in one room and the full XL is displayed on the TV in the living room. I mainly control XL with the touchscreen thru the thin client and put everything to sleep when I am not using it.

Ok enough about my setup...sorry

I noticed that when I would put system to sleep that when I brought it back up the thin client was not loaded, no big deal I just click on an icon on the desktop, but after some research I noticed that the xlobby2sd.exe (thin client exe) process was running several times even though I had no thin client showing on the screen. I was afraid it was going to start to slow up the machine so what I started doing was to kill all instances of xlobby2sd each time I put the computer to sleep and then have it automatically launch the thin client when it comes out of sleep, works well.

You may or may not need this but figured I would let you know. I too was hoping windows was never seen on my touchscreen :D
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:01 pm

Yep, Poweroff is a real good one. Actually, I use that at home on both my music-server, and HTPC. Shutdown.exe is another one, and I got the two mixed up in my earlier post...ooopsss, me bad. :oops:
Marbles_00