More than one variable in a text box

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

More than one variable in a text box

Postby greyjackal on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:21 pm

I suspect I'm probably just being as thick as the proverbial porcine excrement but....:D

How on earth does one get more than one variable in a text box?

For example, say I want a text box to display two custom db variables in my TV shows - Episode number and episode name :

category>tvshows>epnum category>tvshows>epname

Each on their own is fine but as soon as I type anything else in the box, the variable output disappears.
greyjackal

Postby jowaldo on Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:09 pm

I'm not sure if you can... I've never really needed that in a text box for info in a db, but you can do it for things like whats playing now... see below how the % is around each field?

audioplayer>now>%artist% - %albumname%

If you have a category/db on a screen tho you can do it. Go to the category tab on the skin editor, put the correct name in the "name" box like "TV" or whatever you use, but in the "display" box put in just

%epnum% - %epname%

or whatever you named the fields...
jowaldo

Postby greyjackal on Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:25 pm

Nah, using %'s doesn't work for db entries by the looks of things.

As for categories - as soon as select the correct database, it throws out other parts of the screen.

I think I'm going to have to go back to the beginning and get a better understanding of skin structure (I've duplicated the Movie section of HeavyMetal for the TV section at the moment).

Thanks for the suggestions though :)
greyjackal

Postby gamejester on Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:11 pm

jowaldo is correct, you cannot display more than 1 item of category data in the same txt box, the only way to get the info on the same line is to specify it as the display row info for a category box.

%epnum% - %epname%
gamejester

Postby greyjackal on Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:01 pm

Bizarre...although it didn't work last night, I turned on my tv this evening and it's worked :D

Ok, so next question, is there a carriage return character? I've tried html and \n to no avail.
greyjackal