amBX anybody?

Speak your mind

amBX anybody?

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:20 pm

Ok now u can ask if ive been in the moon for last deceit or so... but i just stumple upon this technology called amBX. It looks like way cool and at glance it appears like half of my videogames already support it. But that philips implementation looks like way ghey (as usual). So im thinking could this be something u could easily DIY out of the proportions. U know like atleast power of three of the philips toy puppies to actually fill your hometheatre with wind and ambient light.

Anybody here familiar with this stuff?
P3rv3rt B3ar

Re: amBX anybody?

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:49 am

There's a few posts over at avsforum on ambilighting. Some of the threads are for DIY stuff. Pretty interesting. Try this for a search result:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/search.p ... d=11940343
Marbles_00

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:43 am

One of the avs threads, I found this link:
http://lx.divxstation.com/article.asp?aId=151
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:14 am

Last night i read a little bit more about this philips technology and i got pretty excited. As far as i could understand it seems totally open, so should not take too far until we should see solutions from other hardware manufacturers. Also game studios are buying into this pretty good it seems, hopefully film industry will follow.

Openness means that i suppose i could wrap pervtalk device pretty quickly to control ambients so skinner could set mood of the room suitable to current activity on xlobby...

Allthough the philips implementation is not exactly free, that starter ambient setup seems to be around hundred quids at amazon.co.uk, considering that currently pound sterling has inherited the dubious honors to be "rouble of the new millenia" from american buck, it might be just the thing to get on a slow game month. No promises but ill be defenetely following how this tech matures.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby ILoveamBX on Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:37 pm

Hey All,

I just had this come up on my alerts and thought I would throw in a couple of comments. At the moment I am not sure how easy it is to duplicate the sort of effects that amBX generates or whether it is possible to go for a DIY approach due to some of the scripting involved but what I can say is that I love my amBX kit (thus the name and blog). If you havent tried it already you really should and if you cant get hands on then watch a selection of the videos on youtue or my blog.

With an SDK being released shortly I think more and more game developers will embrace it and we should see more new titles being amBX enabled (last year FarCry2, Brothers in Arms, Call of Duty 4 were all fully enabled). I also believe they are starting to look more closely at entertainment and ways for people to use it with their home cinema systems so you can create the fully immersive effects when watching films on your big plasma TVs and I for one am looking forward to it.

I know this view is slightly biased due to owning an amBX kit but I have to say you shouldnt knock it until you have tried it (or watched it enough) and feel free to visit my blog if you want some more information. The address is my username with a .com on the end.

Thanks
ILoveamBX