ATI Remote trouble

Xlobby plugin development

ATI Remote trouble

Postby roundshm on Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:25 pm

Hi, I am a complete neebie, so please forgive me in advance if I have posted in the wrong area. I have resurrected an old computer as a gift for my grandson's birthday and one of the things I wanted him to be able to do was watch video that has been burnt on to the hard drive. I have managed to get Xlobby and and Winamp to speak to each other and I was feeling rather proud. BIG mistake! Then I thought I would get the old ATI remote to work. No chance. I have been humbled. I followed the online instructions, however they seem geared to an earlier version. I am lost. Is there an easier way? More explicit instructions? Can I purchase a remote that is designed for Xlobby/Winamp? Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
roundshm
roundshm

Re: ATI Remote trouble

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:38 pm

You need a USB-UIRT to interface with the remote. A UIRT is a device that plugs into the USB port and accepts IR signals at different frequencies. Then using Xlobby's Setup/Events, you can setup events to trigger on IR commands, such as "play", or "stop" ...in order to control winamp playback. You can also setup events to navigate around xlobby. All this requires a USB-UIRT.dll file, which was included in xlobby's free days. I'm assuming that it is still freely distributiable with the pre-versions as well.

If you want to know, open Setup by pressing F2, then goto Downloads. Click on download list to see the list of things that can be downloaded from the xlobby server. If any "module" has a red dot next to it, you either do not have it or you do not have the latest verions. Look expesively at the USB-UIRT module. If it is red, click on "Download" to get the latest. Restart xlobby, and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.
Marbles_00

Postby rembetis on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:49 am

The problem with the ATI Remote is one of focus (Xlobby wants to be in focus, and the ATI/Winamp connection gets lost). A little while back I was able to get it to work in a jukebox-style music-server build with a plugin from the French forum, but I believe interfacing with a video player like Zoomplayer will present more problems. This post might help with the Winamp part (you'll need to be using a 2.x version, which can be found here but you will need a more robust solution, such as the UIRT route Marbles describes, for video control.

BTW, the Remote Wonder is an RF (radio frequency) remote, so unfortunately it will not work with the IR-based UIRT.

Hope that also helps.
rembetis

Postby fsamuelsson on Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:08 am

You can try eventghost in the background to manage xlobby and winamp, zoomplayer http://www.eventghost.org
fsamuelsson

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:46 pm

BTW, the Remote Wonder is an RF (radio frequency) remote, so unfortunately it will not work with the IR-based UIRT.

DOH!!!...me bad...didn't realize it was a RF remote...USB-UIRT will be of little use...agreed....sorry bout that
Marbles_00