Hijacking the splash

related to programming for xlobby, code samples, examples etc.

Hijacking the splash

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:46 pm

Not that is anyway functionally important, but this is something i have wanted to do for loooong time just for sheer coolnes factor of it, imagine your plugin telling its state for user in real xl splash right after xl itself has initialized, but i havent imagined a way to do it transparently and cleanly (well can be little dirty too, as long is not ugly), currently my development version of xPerT does it injecting some xml, which is transparent, but defenitely not clean. So cause i have been pondering with this issue a rather long i was wondering if somebody here has solved it? or has missing pieces for me...

Ok heres what i can do cleanly: Notice when Xl starts and return it to splash screen right away, i can fetch right button without ID (even if splash screen contains several ones), but i cant change the text without ID :( and yet even if i manage to change the text (which i can do if i get ID somehow), splashscreen special button wont display it :( it is obviously not your avarage button i think... and after splashing notes from plugin i can return to right startup screen even if not named "menu".

Wondering if anybody else has managed to hack this... :? (and is ready to reveal secrets of trade 8) )
P3rv3rt B3ar

Re: Hijacking the splash

Postby defrag on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:53 am

Hi P3rv, did you get any further with this? It would be nice for my xWOL plugin for it to say "waking server..." or something when the plugin section is loading (for each machine it wakes). Might take a peek this weekend - you have sparked my interest!!!!! :lol:
defrag

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:37 pm

No i havent find a clean solution, so i just stripped it away from new BHE release, cause i was afraid that clunky way to do it might actually cause probs for some people. If u found out something let me know.

But i really think u cant most defenetely do anything with splash during plugins load... cause i dont think Xlobby hands u helper handle before it has loaded itself... what i was thinking was to hijack splash after Xlobby utself has complited and do plugin initialization afterwards... within splash ofcourse 8)
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby defrag on Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:15 pm

Yep that would be the missing hook - time to add a post on the I WANT THIS NOW thread. I think it would be nice as some plugins could happily pause a few nano seconds to give a status update that they are either doing something or unable to do something for some reason, withought having to throw an exception.

Not sure about extending the splash by jumping to another splash - I guess if you have some extra processing that takes place before you hit the menu screen or (*ding* idea just popped in my head) just have an overlay that appears over the menu if first time (variable in your plugin) in that does the splash then closes the overlay and resets the varaible!! Job done!!
defrag