An invalid license was detected error

Information related to the pre-release commercial version of xlobby

An invalid license was detected error

Postby reynoldswu on Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:42 pm

I keep getting this error and can't quite figure out why: An invalid license was detected, if you have made hardware changes a new license will be required. Xlobby will now shut down.

Any idea why? I removed the previous pre-release version thinking it was a conflict with that.
reynoldswu

Postby capecodscot on Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:22 pm

Same here.
capecodscot

Postby Colby on Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:28 pm

Did you renue your license or are you old enough to use Xlobby? I once had a fake license, but I still couldnt do some things. Strange.
Colby

Postby reynoldswu on Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:43 pm

Colby wrote:Did you renue your license or are you old enough to use Xlobby? I once had a fake license, but I still couldnt do some things. Strange.

Well, I clicked the "I am 18 or over" button when I entered the website, so I thought I qualified. Strange indeed.
reynoldswu

Postby capecodscot on Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:52 pm

Don;t know if there is any relation but I also get Xlobby quitting by itself after about 7 minutes of inactivity.
capecodscot

Postby reynoldswu on Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:34 pm

capecodscot wrote:Don;t know if there is any relation but I also get Xlobby quitting by itself after about 7 minutes of inactivity.

That sounds about right. That error message pops up after about 7 minutes or so, but it does it to me even if I'm using it. I haven't noticed a pattern as to when it comes up, sometimes in the editor, sometimes in setup and sometimes just going through the music database. It's odd indeed.
reynoldswu

Postby Colby on Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:48 pm

Do you think it has anything to do with nowplaying signature?
Colby

Postby stevenhanna6 on Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:52 am

sorry guys, thats what I get for not testing it on a fresh install before uploading. I have since fixed the bug, it had to do with the server side licensing code I wrote. It's all fixed now and shouldn't happen from now on. I'll leave the thread open because a few other people probably got hit by this bug.

It should now be impossible to see this error message from now on. But I will keep an eye on things incase I missed something.
stevenhanna6

Postby reynoldswu on Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:50 am

stevenhanna6 wrote:sorry guys, thats what I get for not testing it on a fresh install before uploading. I have since fixed the bug, it had to do with the server side licensing code I wrote. It's all fixed now and shouldn't happen from now on. I'll leave the thread open because a few other people probably got hit by this bug.

It should now be impossible to see this error message from now on. But I will keep an eye on things incase I missed something.

Great! Thanks Steven!
reynoldswu

Postby rembetis on Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:14 pm

stevenhanna6 wrote:it had to do with the server side licensing code I wrote.

Would you be willing to explain a bit about how that will work? It would be most disappointing to hear that you plan to tie Xlobby's functionality to a remote server or limit buyers (of whatever tier) on how many machines they can install the software on.
rembetis

Postby stevenhanna6 on Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:51 pm

rembetis wrote:Would you be willing to explain a bit about how that will work? It would be most disappointing to hear that you plan to tie Xlobby's functionality to a remote server or limit buyers (of whatever tier) on how many machines they can install the software on.

I would if I could, but what I have setup right now is just for testing some ideas out. Nothing has been finalized, and no we are not tying xlobby to the server....I mean if the server or the internet goes down then you wouldnt be able to use xlobby.....so that it's not going to work like that.

But we do plan on taking steps to ensure that people using the software are paying customers. Seems only fair to us and the people who pay for the software.

We haven't talked about how many machines someone can install xlobby onto yet, but me and Wes know people have multiple machines or are doing client server stuff so it is something that will get worked out. Just don't expect you'll be able to install your license on a whole bunch of machines though, meaning you wont be able to buy a license and register that license on all your friends pcs....it will be just your pcs...its something that still has to get worked out....but I know where you guys are comming from since I have multiple systems.
stevenhanna6