DVD Profiler to Xlobby Import Utility

Xlobby plugin development

DVD Profiler to Xlobby Import Utility

Postby jovial_mood on Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:06 pm

I've just finished writing a new utility which has the main purpose of importing DVD Profiler data into an Xlobby compatible database. Even though you can import some tags with Xlobby's own import function I believe this utility gives you a little more control over which information should be imported and which shouldn't.

The latest version of the utility can be downloaded from the address:
v2.2 (10 August 2010) http://www.jovialmood.st/files/dxc/dxc22.zip (91k)
(Only for use with DVD Profiler v3.x exported XML file)

// Jovial
Last edited by jovial_mood on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 10 times in total.
jovial_mood

Postby jovial_mood on Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:40 pm

Even though there's a very small interest in the utility, here's a new version.

http://user.bahnhof.se/~engstrom/files/dxc/dxc_051222.rar (376k)

The subitem handling during data preservation is changed. When preserving only data for titles existing in both DP and XL or when preserving only data for titles that does not exist in DP all existing titles, both items and subitems, will now be treated as single titles.
jovial_mood

Postby Russell on Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:23 pm

I am having a problem keeping teh offline status of a movie. It either will set all true or all false, it will not keep the previous state.

I did notice if a title is offline their is an <offline> entry, if it is online that entry isn't preset. Maybe thats where the problem is. Anyway GREAT utility.
Russell

Postby jovial_mood on Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:45 am

I've changed how DXC handles the <offline> entry during data preservation. I believe this version is working as it should.

http://user.bahnhof.se/~engstrom/files/dxc/dxc_051228.rar (377k)

Unfortunately I still have a very scarce set of varying databases to test it with so feel free to let me know if it doesn't work correctly with your databases.
jovial_mood

Postby epitaph on Wed May 24, 2006 7:47 am

not sure if your still kickin around xlobby site but i was wondering if you would be able to give this program the ability to import other databases that xlobby can do, i love this program and that would make it all that much better.
ex. like i import my trailers and music databases via xlobby and i wish i could just do it all through your program with a single batch file. i know nothing about coding and what not so i dont know if that is a grusome task to undertake but it would be awesome for me at the very least! ;)
epitaph

Postby sharp_1 on Wed May 24, 2006 12:48 pm

Is there a way to use this plugin within a winxp pc?
sharp_1

Postby jovial_mood on Fri May 26, 2006 5:35 pm

epitaph,
Your trailers and music databases, what kind of databases are those?

sharp_1,
It's not really a plugin but a separate application. It uses data output from DVD Profiler to write an Xlobby compatible database. You need both DVD Profiler (commersial) and Xlobby to have any use for DXC.

The program should work on a WinXP system if you have .NET Framework 2.0 installed.
jovial_mood

Postby epitaph on Sat May 27, 2006 9:43 am

just the standard xlobby .xml database. currently i go into xlobby load my trailers folder into the paths section and then use the trailers template and load to the trailers.xml database.
epitaph

Postby jovial_mood on Sun May 28, 2006 6:14 pm

Why do you want to use an external program to do tasks that can be done within Xlobby? I mean, if Xlobby already does a good work importing your trailers and music databases, why don't you just use the 'refresh' event to update them?
jovial_mood

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun May 28, 2006 6:18 pm

jovial_mood wrote:Why do you want to use an external program to do tasks that can be done within Xlobby? I mean, if Xlobby already does a good work importing your trailers and music databases, why don't you just use the 'refresh' event to update them?

Why do people mod game consoles? why do people tune cars?

To get more performance!!

XLs built in DB importer does job on small subset of data provided by DVDprofiler.

EDIT: oh didnt notice that u were author of program and that we weren't talking about DVDs... then let me refrase the answer: New version of Apple Trailer Fetcher Utility is out, that answers question on trailer part and for example people with carousel players, like me, dont have all their music/trailers on HD, but also need to database ones on players so external application to manage those DBs is actually preferred.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby jovial_mood on Sun May 28, 2006 6:50 pm

:D

I do understand why people wants to use external programs to do things differently than the XL built-in functions.

But as I understand it, epitaph wants the be able to use a batch file to do the same tasks that Xlobby already has inherent functions for. That's what my question was about.
jovial_mood

Postby epitaph on Sun May 28, 2006 7:24 pm

It would just simplify everything for me, execute one file before launching xlobby, and everything would be updated. i was going to set up so it would parse my trailers, music and dvds folder for changes and if there are some it would automatically update before starting xlobby therefore once i have it all set up i would never need to do a refresh and i would never need to worry about it, everything would just work.
epitaph

Postby jovial_mood on Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:18 am

If you want the import to work exactly like XL does it, a tip would be to add a "refresh database" event to your startup screen. Then your databases will automatically be refreshed when you start Xlobby (enter your startup screen).
jovial_mood

Postby abobader on Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:37 pm

Hi jovial_mood,

This util sound it will solve the problem I have:
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4493

I tried all the setting, still, if it possible, what setting to import everything from dvd profiler to my movies database and only keep coverart.

As my coverart link to the network sharing same as the movies folder, what the correct setting for that (I tried defrent setting, no luck so far).

Thanks in advanced.

My best.
abobader

Postby jovial_mood on Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:49 pm

abobader,

If DXC should import more information than Xlobby's DVD Profiler import function do, the check box "Enable advanced <tag> processing" must be marked. If not marked DXC will import data in a similar manner that Xlobby does as default.
By pressing the button "Customize default tags" the information that Xlobby normally import from a DVD Profiler database can be customized.
The button "Customize additional tags" can be used to manage how information that's normally not imported by Xlobby is handled.

If any of the existing data in the Xlobby Collection Database input file should be preserved, the box "Preserve Xlobby Data" must be checked. By pressing the button "Customize data preservation" in DXC Main Setup window, data preservation options are accessed.

If you only want to preserve the coverart, first you need to uncheck the box "Preserve data unaltered". Then you press the button "Specify tags to preserve” and a new window will open. Then the easiest way is to press the button “Select none” and after that select the information you want to preserve.

You will probably always want to preserve the title and the display tags, so make sure you check these boxes. If you don’t do so you need to make the comparison for existing titles to some other tag already existing in your Xlobby database.

In other words, to only preserve coverart information you would leave coverart, display and title checked.

I hope this will help.

jovial_mood

Next