XCTpvr Beta TV-Plugin

Xlobby plugin development

XCTpvr Beta TV-Plugin

Postby ComputerTimeCO on Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:15 am

Hi All,

I Just made available this TV plugin for tuner cards with integrated hardware encoder chips. The core of this plugin is based on CTpvr. This plugin require CTpvr be installed for it to Timeshift Live TV. For now it has some basic PVR fuctions included. You can watch Live-TV, Pause Live TV and Playback video files. I will be adding EPG support soon.

I've made a generic screen(see below) that XCTpvr will copy over to whatever skin you may be using. Even if you change to a different skin, it will copy it to that skin. You only need to add one button to the Xlobby main menu to goto to the XCTpvr screen. Then assign the event under skins->XCTpvr->goto XCTpvr and you are ready to go.

http://ctpvr.com/downloads/XCTpvr.msi
The installer has a default install directory of "c:\program files\xlobby". Some of you will need to change this to where ever Xlobby is installed.

Known Bugs:
Timeshifting may not initialize when you press the pause button.
Switching between large and normal view may hide video window.

Regards,
Carm.

Last edited by ComputerTimeCO on Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ComputerTimeCO

Postby jowaldo on Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:51 pm

awesome!! this is one big feature that a lot of people have really been hopin for in xlobby!

I noticed on your homepage it says it supports the ATI E-Home Wonder card. I know that the answer is probably no, but does your program support the ATI All in Wonder Radeon cards?

Thanks!
jowaldo

Postby ComputerTimeCO on Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:17 pm

Sorry jowaldo, it does not support your card. I may add support for software encoder cards but only for viewing.

jowaldo I would like you to install this plugin so you can see how easy it is for users to get started with a plugin that copies over the xml files that make up the Xlobby screens and events. If there were just a few buttons and BG with standard names the XCTpvr screen would take on the look of your skin/theme. Giving users the same look through out.

By the way, CTpvr is not required just to start the screen. You can even playback files without CTpvr being installed.

Regards,
Carm.
ComputerTimeCO

Postby jowaldo on Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:32 pm

I just installed your plugin, and I have to say WOW! Good job!

Looks like you put a lot of work into this. Really cool how you have the plugin automatically copy the needed files into the current skin folder on startup. Makes it really easy for users :)

I see what you mean about having the names of buttons being standard, that would work good, but the buttons would have to be a somewhat standard size and shape, which is something that seems to really vary from skin to skin... So if they were to do it this way, they would have to make at least those buttons a certain standard size.

Also, with xlobby skins each one isn't different looking just by the buttons, backgrounds or colors. Each one works very different, unlike other similar htpc programs where different skins work the same, but just basically have different graphics..

I think what may work best for right now is just to keep your plugin the way it is, how it copies the screens to the current skin automatically. Then have simple instructions for new users to be able just to add say a button on their main menu to get to your screens.

But then also have good detalied documentation for skin editors, so they can fully utilize your plugin, and easily do it.

I will play around more with your plugin tho, I see lots of cool things to do now, and I bet you have plenty more features to come ;)

Oh, btw, I noticed your full ct.pvr program plays dvds. Does that function work inside xlobby?
jowaldo

Postby ComputerTimeCO on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:31 am

Hi jowaldo,

Oh, btw, I noticed your full ct.pvr program plays dvds. Does that function work inside xlobby?

I have not yet added the DVD playback feature to the CTtv.dll core which is what the Xlobby plugin uses for playing media. I will work on adding that pretty soon.

I have not tried this but the core should be able to play mp3 files too along with other music types.
Edited: Does not work in the plugin. The core plays it but I have the plug is not set to play it back. I can easily change it to work.

Also, with xlobby skins each one isn't different looking just by the buttons, backgrounds or colors. Each one works very different, unlike other similar htpc programs where different skins work the same, but just basically have different graphics...

I know what you mean. That is why I was talking about just enough items to keep the users interface looking the same.

If it should ever happen I'll be ready to make the changes.

Regards,
Carm.
ComputerTimeCO

Postby jowaldo on Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:19 am

ComputerTimeCO wrote:I have not yet added the DVD playback feature to the CTtv.dll core which is what the Xlobby plugin uses for playing media. I will work on adding that pretty soon.

I have not tried this but the core should be able to play mp3 files too along with other music types.
Edited: Does not work in the plugin. The core plays it but I have the plug is not set to play it back. I can easily change it to work.

This just keeps gettin better! If your program could play back dvd's and mp3's, and be tightly integrated with xlobby, that would reallllllllly help the learning curve for most people, and make for a much smoother interface.

Let me know if you need any help testing.

Oh and I'm gonna look into getting a Hauppauge PVR-250/350 card, so I can try some of the pvr functions out...

Anyone on this board have one they are willing to sell? ;)
jowaldo

Postby ComputerTimeCO on Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:08 am

Hi jowaldo,

I modified the code to run MP3, AVI(DIVX,XVID) and just about any file type that will run in windows media player. Since I am not controlling the aspect ratio yet, most video will playback at 4:3.

Download it again but remember to uninstall then reinstall to get the updated files.

Regards,
Carm.
ComputerTimeCO

Postby marque on Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:05 pm

this really rocks.

unfortunatly it isnt possible to instal it (automaticly) on two installs of xlobby at the same time. I have one xlobby to use and one to test but when i want to install it for the second xlobby i need to uninstal the other one first. This is not a great problem though.
marque

Postby ComputerTimeCO on Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:43 pm

Hi marque,

You can copy the "XCTpvr" folder located under the plugings folder in xlobby to the second installation. I have not tried that myself, but it should work.

Regards,
Carm.
ComputerTimeCO

Postby marque on Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:15 pm

Yes that works
Thanks
marque

Postby QTips on Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:23 pm

This is really great :)
It worked pretty well on my MediaX widescreenskin

I have tried several of the earlier versions of ctpvr but have never got it to be stutterfree with PAL,but now it is working smooth as silk.

I also have a sugestion on the question of getting things standard.
Why not use a category for mainmenu with a database with buttonnames and each item has it's own event.
Then different skins can still have their own graphics but Carm could easily just get the installer to edit the mainmenu.xml to get a new button in the mainmenu.
Look in my widescreenskin and see how I have it setup
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2327

anyway..if this should be a standard I think Steven must make his new skin this way and all the skinmaker just had to follow his way to name the databases and so on.
Hopefully you guys understood what I ment :)
QTips

Postby QTips on Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:26 pm

If we also have a great set of EPG event commands,we skinmakers could make many cool versions of PVR screens with lots of features.
QTips

Postby ComputerTimeCO on Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:05 am

Hi All,

I modified the core to support DVD playback. You need to have Decoders capable of decoding DVDs. If you already have XCTpvr installed, You need to enter the XCTpvr config under Xlobby's plugins setup section and click on "Restore XCTpvr Screen" to get the updated screen. While you're there you might as well select the DVD decoders you want to use.

Keep in mind this is very limited DVD support. Nothing fancy like bookmarks for now. I had very little time to test it all so who knows.

Also fixed a bug when the playback file reached the end could create an error that would crash the plugin and possibly Xlobby.

QTips: If we also have a great set of EPG event commands,we skinmakers could make many cool versions of PVR screens with lots of features.

CTpvr's scheduler can accept standard TVPI files to schedule recordings. So if you can create them with the Xlobby EPG you can schedule these recordings. There are a few parameters that I believe are listed at my forum. If not just let me know and I'll post the info.

The EPG that I will incorporate with this plugin will have the same capabilities as the one in CTpvr. You have many scheduling and searching options available. Plus a confilct checker, additional airings and more.

Regards,
Carm.
ComputerTimeCO

Postby dalanik on Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:33 am

Great plugin. Even if I don't have a TV card (yet), I'd use it for avi/mpg preview. Now a question; would it be possible to execute "file play" with parameter instead of with file selector box?

So i could pass the %movies>parameter% or such to the plugin?

thanx,

Dalibor
dalanik

Postby ComputerTimeCO on Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:50 pm

dalanik wrote:Now a question; would it be possible to execute "file play" with parameter instead of with file selector box?

So i could pass the %movies>parameter% or such to the plugin?
Dalibor

Hi dalanik,

There is limited plugin documentation available for me to answer your question. At some point I'll communicate with Steven to learn more on the relationship between Xlobby and it's plugins. I feel quite certain that if there is not a way it will soon be added.

If any one knows the answer, please feel free to reply.

Regards,
Carm.
ComputerTimeCO

Next