Persistent thin client

Got an idea, post it here

Persistent thin client

Postby sdumas on Tue May 02, 2006 3:52 am

I'd LOVE to see a persistent thin client. One that you don't have to restart each time the network connection disappear for a second (it happens a lot with wireless connections) or when the system goes to sleep. It could be when you reboot the Xlobby server as well. It would be nice if the client could find its way again when the server comes back online without having to restart it constantly.

My wife gets enraged each time she has to click on that icon to perform any function that was there just a few minutes ago...

Same would apply to Pocket PC client and fat client.
sdumas

Re: Persistent thin client

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue May 02, 2006 5:16 am

sdumas wrote: network connection disappear for a second (it happens a lot with wireless connections)

It shouldnt happen... I think u have just misconfigured ur w-lan... hehe or mayby ur using infrared based solution ;)

And if u wife still gives a hard time take htpc for "maintenance break" for a week or so and bring those 10-15 OEM remotes back for her.... ;)
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby rhinoman on Tue May 02, 2006 7:34 am

This has been discussed here a few times, its purely down to the type of wifi card and driver, my ipaq you have to restart everytime its woken, the dells with origo cards never need restarting.
rhinoman

Postby sdumas on Tue May 02, 2006 12:45 pm

I have a Fujitsu Stylistic tablet and I have tried 3 different cards. I have tried a Linksys PCMCIA, a DLink PCMCIA and now I am using a Linksys USB external. The USB is working best, but it still drops.

It really does not matter if the link drops or not, but I think the client should be intelligent enough not to exit when it sees a drop in the connection or it falls asleep or any other reasons, it should persists to reconnect whenever one of those events happens instead of just dying.

It would be like saying that Internet Explorer exits anytime you hit a 404 not found site. That would be annoying too.

Thanks.
sdumas

Postby tomprout on Tue May 02, 2006 3:20 pm

+1.

I use a stylistic too and I don't have this problem. But it would be a nice improvement for xlobby2sd.
tomprout

Postby hvs69 on Tue May 02, 2006 3:58 pm

+1 from me too

I have had this issue with my old Dell X5 axim with a CF wireless card
hvs69

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue May 02, 2006 5:08 pm

sdumas wrote:I have a Fujitsu Stylistic tablet and I have tried 3 different cards. I have tried a Linksys PCMCIA, a DLink PCMCIA and now I am using a Linksys USB external. The USB is working best, but it still drops.

Its funny how do u leave your accesspoint out of discussion. Its not just little-end which matters, use big-end too ;)
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby jowaldo on Tue May 02, 2006 6:15 pm

hvs69 wrote:+1 from me too

I have had this issue with my old Dell X5 axim with a CF wireless card

I have the same thing/problem too..

I have to do a reset on the ppc to get it functional again usually.
jowaldo

Postby rhinoman on Tue May 02, 2006 7:24 pm

I have to say that this is quite important but Steven has looked at this before and said its not possible. Maybe .net 2.0 could open other possibilities.
rhinoman

Postby sdumas on Wed May 03, 2006 3:26 am

P3rv3rt B3ar,

My big end (lol) is a Dlink with a 7 DB boosting antenna - the Fujitsu sits about 20 feet away - one would think it is close enough... other devices on my network with different applications - heck I even have SageTV that does not drop, (I have 11 PCs in the house - 3 wireless ... yes I know - a little obsessive, lol) they work just fine.

The ThinClient is just very sensitive to drops.

Hopefully .net 2 can bring something to Steven to make this a reality.

PS. I am glad that I am not alone...

Thanks!
sdumas