help me turn my xlobby into more than a IR remote

Help each other out

help me turn my xlobby into more than a IR remote

Postby billberet on Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:28 pm

Hi everyone

with my current setup my xlobby server is a glorified remote

in my rack i have the following
gefen 4x4 component matrix
gefen inputs(2 fios stb's, xbox 360, wii)
gefen outputs (basement projector(theater), basement DLP(gaming), living room plasma)
audio (onkyo 7.1 surround going to basement projector and Dlp, living room plasma has internal speakers
storage (multiple terabite drives usb to server)
xlobby server (sun ultra 20, built in audio and standard vga, usb-uirt)
xlobby fat client (samsung Q1 tablet running xlobby connecting with xnet to server)
routers (fios wireless upstairs, linksys vpn router downstairs configured as repeater)

I used my fat client to send whatever input to go to whatever output in the gefen matrix
then control the fios stb's with ir.

The server has all the media (pictures, movies (iso and video_t's), music)
the q1 fat client has a mapped drive to the server where i can connect to the media.(don't know if this is the best way)
xnet is running on server, and fat client successfully connects. (what is xnet for? should i still use the shared network drives)
*****spare parts*****
i have about a dozen x10 modules laying around too, some webcams, IP camera's, multiple servers, video cards w/multiple vga out)
2 boxes of cat5 cable (few hundred feet), 1 spool of audio cable (cable has 4 internal wires) (about 100 feet left)

can someone please help me make my xlobby server into more than a IR blaster.
i would like to send music and pictures and movies to different locations.
i can add speakers, monitors, pc cards. whatever people recommend ( money no object)

here are some pics

Here is the rack (old pic, no gefen, wife doing my laundry in back)
sun ultra 20 on bottom right (dell just spare machine)
above sun is onkyo, above that is fios stb (ir blaster taped to top one)
left of sun is xbox 360
Gefen matrix is above the fios boxes, input and output is directed from IR blast
plasma in livingroom (rca 50' run from gefen directly to plasma)
internal speakers currently being used.

tablet Q1 (fat client xlobby)

Theater, (same location as dlp, 7 speaker surround)
DLP (switch from theater to gaming)

THANKS
-bb
billberet

Re: help me turn my xlobby into more than a IR remote

Postby rembetis on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:37 pm

Marbles has the most robust xlobby-based music distribution system, as far I know. He has a general diy thread here that links to his personal website which spells out his setup in great detail. I'm sure he'll be along to respond shortly...

Video distribution to multiple displays from a single server, without at least adding additional fat clients, is a bit more tricky. Even with the component distribution, your server can only generate one feed at any one time and that Q1 acting as your floating remote can only be in one place at the same time.

As much as I love xlobby, if it were me, and money were no object, I'd pick up a couple of those popcorn hour media extenders and be done with it. You can still use xlobby in your main theater room, to house all the media, distribute audio, control x-10 (to some extent), but you won't have to worry about the inevitable video glitches that come when taxing a system to the max.

...just my $.02.
rembetis

Postby billberet on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:56 pm

yea, i have a few micro pc's laying around that i am going to turn into fat clients in different locations.
use those as different zones.

I have a question, the benefit of using xnet with fat clients and servers.
i have a fat client on one machine and the server on another machine.
the fat clients says is successfully connects to the server thru xnet.

now how do i pull the mp3 that is on the server from the fat client.
i know i'm missing the general concept of xnet.
should i be sharing a drive on the server so the fat client can add it in the local database (import)
currently i have my media locations pointing to a shared drive that points to the server.
what is the point of having xnet, if i'm using the microsoft share?
billberet

Postby rembetis on Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:47 pm

As I understand it, the only advantage to using a fat client over of a fully autonomous xlobby setup is that you only need to maintain a single set of databases. Theoretically, fat clients also give you the ability to "sync" all zones, so the same music can be played simultaneously all over your house. In actuality, though, "sync all" worked imperfectly for me (and I believe is somewhat based on processing power). I think Marbles has it running smoother.
Last edited by rembetis on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rembetis

Postby rembetis on Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:56 pm

billberet wrote:now how do i pull the mp3 that is on the server from the fat client.

Your Q1 is your only fat client, at the moment, correct? Is that attached to an amp or receiver? I'm not entirely sure what you me by "pull the mp3". The fat client should use the server xlobby's music database and play whatever files are therein, but output them locally. If the Q1 will ultimately serve as a "zoning" remote control, I'd think you would want to run it as a thin client.
rembetis

Postby billberet on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:09 pm

sorry i wasn't more specific
i took another desktop and made a fat client
so i have one server = sun ultra 20
one roming fat client = q1
one stationary fat client = micro pc

now if the server has an mp3 i added
how can i play that mp3 on my fat client micro pc
do i have to map to the server and import the mp3 into the micro pc local database.
i want to have the server as a central location of all my media, and listen to them on one of the fat clients.

is this possible?
billberet

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:25 pm

"sync all" worked imperfectly for me (and I believe is somewhat based on processing power). I think Marbles has it running smoother.

Steven's sync all never worked for me either. It started fine but after about 30 seconds into a song, it faulted. Even in my current setup, an all zone sync doesn't mean that all the zones are perfectly synced together. Zones on the same floor...yes it is perfect, but zones from one floor to another...a little off, then you get an occasional glitch if the timing drifts too much, but it is better that the xlobby command. I don't use Steven's philosphy of one winamp is contained to one zone. I use each winamp instance as a source, and your only limited in zones by how many soundcard outputs you have.

From an audio perspective, how many zones are you looking at? The video side as rem states is more tricky. I think your going in the right direction with using a video matrix switch. Again, how many video zones are you looking at? Also depending on your requirements, a simple extender, as rem stated, may be the best option for you.

As for the fat client, rem is right, databases are maintained on the server and copied over to the fat client on xlobby startup. The fat client is also seen as an audio zone for multizoning purposes.

I guess before we can help you out, we just need to understand what your ultimate goals are. Here are some things to iron out:
How many audio zones?
Local distribution (one central hub), or remote distribution?
How many video zones?
Local distribution (which judging by your pics that is how you have it setup), or remote?
Require fat clients at all locations, or something to just get media (extender)?
What needs to run 24/7?

There's probably a ton more questions, I just can't think of them right now.

I would then concentrate on one aspect of the project before taking on another.

Fun, ain't it?

do i have to map to the server and import the mp3 into the micro pc local database.

If I recall, you have to update the database on the server (adding the new mp3), then do a refresh on the fat client, so it will update its database. You still have to have your mp3 directory on the server mapped, and all database entries UNC (?) mapped. Then the music is essentially streamed to the fat client.
Marbles_00

Postby billberet on Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:02 am

ok to keep things simple, i will do the video outside xlobby, with my gefen matrix. controlled by IR or rs232
i can send video to multiple rooms with a simple xsend.

i don't know how many zone i will have but if i do one, i can just mimic it an N number of times when i'm successful.

so for now, i have a zone upstairs on a desktop pc running xlobby fat client. (livingroom)
basement zone (server) will have all my music and pictures .

I would like to play any of the music on the server in basement, to be played in the livingroom (fat client)
computer in livingroom will show the list of music located on the basement server.

i'm trying to figure out how to wire the speakers located in the livingroom. do the wires go to the fatclient, or back to the server.
another question is how to show the music on the fat client in the livingroom. the living room zone will show the list from the basement server.
on the living room client, in the F2 setup click basic, how should i set up the paths for music and pictures on the fat client.

i hope i'm explaining myself.
i want to start small in one room. see how everything sounds, then go from there.

I hope i cleared things up a bit.
Thanks Marbles.
billberet

Postby rembetis on Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:18 am

billberet wrote:do i have to map to the server and import the mp3 into the micro pc local database.
i want to have the server as a central location of all my media, and listen to them on one of the fat clients.

is this possible?

Yes, it's possible. You can do it one of two ways: 1) Import and maintain a separate database locally, using the same procedure as you would on your server, but specifying a network rather than a local driver for you import. This makes xnet unnecessary. That's not necessarily bad. If the micro PC is capable, and you can control it locally, you don't really need to run it as a fat client. You can run it an autonomous xlobby box that simply draws media from the server over the network. But if you do want zoning control, you can 2) Maintain one database on your server xlobby instance and share it with your fat clients. To do this, you need to make sure you have done all of the following:

1) Used UNC mapped folders for your database import on the server. I.e. instead of C:\Music you need to go Network Neighborhood > Workgroup > Server name > C:\Music. Otherwise, the fat client will look for the music on its own C: drive instead of the server's.
2) Are running the server xlobby instance, and started the xnet server or checked "Always start as a server" button under Setup > Xnet
3) Used the xnet menu on the fat client to connect to the server IP.

After that, restart the fat client instance of xlobby and the server databases should magically show up. Provided you have everything else set up correctly (winamp or foobar > soundcard > amp or receiver), you should be able to play whatever you want locally on the fat client.

Hope that made sense.
rembetis

Postby billberet on Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:37 am

thanks for helping me in this
we are on the right track.

i do not want to maintain multiple databases so i would like to share the database on the server
server is started as a server, with xnet ready
the fat client connected to the server successfully

now that i have that part all set.
are you saying i should use the shared drives in the music and picture paths on the fat client.
or should i leave them blank, and the databases magically appear, so to speak.

thanks a bunch
:)
billberet

Postby rembetis on Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:08 am

You can leave the paths blank on the fat client. If it's connecting to the server, and the server's import paths are as I explained, you should see the same databases appearing on the client as you do on the server, e.g. when you click music, the same covers appear.
rembetis

Postby billberet on Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:17 am

thanks rembetis
your dead on

i left the paths blank on fat client and the data appeared.
when i tried to edit the database on the fat client, it would not enter it, meaning there was no data locally. PERFECT!!

i added winamp to the fat client, takes a long time to start up the server now.

i have sound, wooo hoooo
does the fat client really take that long to start up, only after i installed winamp.
or can i use another player.

i know these sound like basic questions, sorry about that.
but once i get one working setup, i'm good to go
:)
billberet

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:58 am

does the fat client really take that long to start up, only after i installed winamp.
or can i use another player.

Natively xlobby supports both winamp and foobar. That is not to say that it can't control other audio software. Basically if it can be controlled via command line, it can be controlled with xlobby. The only thing that could be missing though is the player feedback (time, time elapsed, etc.). Also what version of winamp are you using? For xlobby, you don't need the latest and greatest, as xlobby doesn't take advantage of any of winamps glam. I use version 2.95 for most of my applications. I used 5.08 on the music server so I could use the multi-output plugin. Also make sure you don't have any extra winamp stuff turned on that really isn't needed (winamp looking for newer versions etc.).
Marbles_00

Postby billberet on Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:08 am

gotcha, i did the opposite, i got the latest and greatist.
i just took it out and put in foobar, nice and fast but won't play any music, time stays at 0
unless there is some configuration that needs to be done on foobar.

i'll see if i can find an earlier version of winamp
thanks marbles
billberet

Postby billberet on Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:20 am

correct 2.95 did the trick.
quick load, seems to play nice.

Thanks for everyone's time
I'll post again if i come up with any issues. so far i have a good base to work with now.
should keep me busy for a while.
wife is getting anoid, i spend too much time on this project, lol

thanks again guys
-bb
billberet