Questions

Help each other out

Questions

Postby martink0646 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Hi,

I've been using xLobby2 for about 3 years now & I'm v.happy with it. I have moved to a new house & I want to look at a couple of new things.

I've been reading up on using the PPC client but I can't find where to download xlobby2sd.exe & servers.txt. Can anyone point me in the correct direction please? I plan to use an HTC Touch running windows mobile that I'm not using after upgrading to an iPhone. I'm assuming that will work unless anyone knows any different

I originally had all my video files in movies but recently the sheer number of them, 8000+, has made navigation less than ideal. I have reorganised them so that movies are in the movie section. I use GOM player to play avi's & mpg's and VLC to play iso's & mov's. The TV shows are now all in the 'videos' section with a different file structure to allow the cover to be shown & the episodes in a sub-menu & after a lot of work this is functioning perfectly. Can I change the 'Video' button on the main menu to read 'TV Shows'? I haven't ever felt the need to get into skinning so an idiots guide would be useful.

I have also looked at the roms plug-in, but before I get to work on that I was wondering if it will play MAME roms? I assume it will, I just don't want to spend hours playing with it if it won't do what I want it to.

Thanks,

Martin
martink0646

Re: Questions

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:47 pm

but I can't find where to download xlobby2sd.exe & servers.txt. Can anyone point me in the correct direction please?

They should reside in a directory called "client" in the Xlobby root directory (xlobby\client). If you don't have that directory, let us know, someone can forward you the file.

Can I change the 'Video' button on the main menu to read 'TV Shows'?

You can change it to whatever you want. You may have to create new events to associate with the button so it will take you to your TV show screen.

I haven't ever felt the need to get into skinning so an idiots guide would be useful.

Now is the best time to learn. What skin are you currently using? You can download the old skinning document and event variable list from my Xlobby support site. If the links don't still work (may be broken because of going from google pages to google sites), let me know, and I will fix them.

I was wondering if it will play MAME roms?

Like movies/videos, you tell Xlobby what what application you want to use for any particular file extension. This can be done by going into setup (F2) then under "File Types" you setup the MAME emulator to open to the game rom category you set, and associate it to the actual rom files (.zip file if I recall).

Hope this was a start.
Marbles_00

Postby martink0646 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:09 am

Hi Marbles,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Taking things in order;

I hadn't searched my xLobby directory so I'm sure the client is there. Thanks.

To change it to 'TV Shows' do I need to use the skin editor or is it simpler than that? I don't want it to do anything different. I just want the the button that says 'Videos' to say TV Shows'. It isn't a game changer it would just be nice to do it. That is why I'm hoping it is simple! I'm writing this on my office PC, I'll have a go later on at home & post any questions I'm sure to have then.

I'm currently using the default skin although it is looking slightly old school now. I have downloaded your amazing looking xStreamed skin which looks identical to the xbmc Media_redux skin. I loved the look of that so much that I tried to set-up xbmc on my system but I have had all sorts of problems with scrapers so I put it on the back burner. If I could get this working on my system I would be a hog in hog heaven. You mention in the forum thread to follow the instructions. Where would I find them or are they included in the executable? I hope I can get this sorted as it will be the icing on the cake of my new multiroom system!!!!!

I understand how to do the file type association so that info is really useful. My issue is where to play the games from. I assume I will need to set-up a new button on the main menu titled 'Games'. I am prepared to put in the work to learn & I hate to come onto forums like this & ask loads of dull questions, but life is complicated with a business (hence being in the office on a Sunday) & a young family. I understand you get out what you put in, but it's about the number of hours in a day :D :D

Thanks again for your help, I hope you don't mind a few more questions!!

Martin

**Edited**
martink0646

Postby mememe on Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:16 am

This may not be the busiest forum on the internet, but it is one of the most friendly. Most of us don't mind answering questions regardless of how dull someone might believe them to be. If nothing else, answering it makes a record of it on the forums for someone else to find should they have the same issue. The more information shared, the easier it is for everyone.

You can change videos to TV Shows on the menu by using the skin editor. Open the skin editor (pause|break key), click on where it says videos, click the "text" tab in the editor window, change "Videos" to whatever you want. If you change the name of the category or database then you will have to make sure the items linked to them are changed to reflect the changes. As long as you only change the text for the button, but leave the events and such alone, it will continue to function exactly the same with the "videos" database being your tv shows. This is really the only way to change it and it should take you less than a minute to do. The skinning engine is very user friendly so you might want to play with it some to learn what you can do. I recommend making a copy of the xlobby>skin>default folder to a safe location so that if you mess something up while playing around you can just copy it over the damaged one and everything is back to how it was when you made the copy.

You can find a good skinning guide here:
http://sites.google.com/site/xlobbyfree ... -documents

Never be afraid to ask a question around here. :)
mememe

Postby martink0646 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:58 pm

Hi mememe,

Thanks, thats just what I was after & that's all I wanted to do. I shall give it a whirl tonight along with the ppc client & try to get both working.

Martin
martink0646