Jowaldo's skin - new layout, what do you think?

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Jowaldo's skin - new layout, what do you think?

Postby jowaldo on Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:27 am

I've been working on updating my skin, with the main focus to have it be remote friendly, without losing any of the touchscreen compatability. The guts of the skin is still pretty similar to before, just moved some things around a bit.

So far its coming out really good, and is suuuuuuper easy to get around with a remote. I designed it to be easily navigated/operated with just up/down/left/right/enter commands of a remote. Play/stop/etc buttons of course are very useful to for ease of use.

You will notice how things are aligned in columns that you can scroll up/down through, and you can jump to the next column with left or right. I've been trying to keep that theme as much as possible.

Here's some screenshots, please give as much feedback/suggestions as you want.

Music:
I changed the switch buttons for play, queue, open to radio like checkboxes, this seems much more intuitive to me than the boxes I used to have.

Album Tracks:
Note the icons to the right of the tracks that indicate if the track is currently playing (play icon), currently queued in the playlist (checkmark), or not in playlist (X)

Playlists:

Now Playing:
Note back on the music and playlist pages, how there is a "fullscreen" tab towards the bottom that basically makes the bottom "now playing" section fullscreen.

Search Music:

Advanced Options:

Jump To:
This is a new feature I just added that brings up an overlay with a scrollable alphabet DB, where you bring this up, scroll to a letter, select it and it will automatically take to the first artist that starts with that letter. Works out real handy.

Quick Menu:
If you notice on most every screen the upper left hand corner tells you what section of xlobby you are in. If you click it, it brings up a quick shorcut list of other sections. I have not worked on the appearance of this at all, so it will change before I release it, this is just a simple layout for now.

Main Menu:

Pictures:

All of the other sections I'm still working on, and will post them when they are getting closer to ready. I have been working on movies and ppc screens a lot too, so those will be around soon.

Again please give any feedback/suggestions to help improve this skin.

Thanks!
jowaldo

Postby wholesome on Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:12 am

Shut up already, damn....Housequake!! Everybody get up and down......

for Jowaldo's skin!!

Excuse my rambling, my head hurts..... damn alcohol.......

The skin looks wicked, as usual. Please release!!!
wholesome

Postby jowaldo on Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:47 am

I'll post it soon, I just wanna tweak just a few things first, plus double check the navigation.
jowaldo

Postby Arthur on Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:04 pm

Looks ok to me.
Arthur

Postby rika on Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:04 pm

I have allways liked the functions in your skin. With updated ppc-menues this skin is a hit!!!
rika
rika

Too Cool!

Postby jbc on Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:23 am

Sign me up. i'm usin your older version, can hardly wait.
I am new here and have a couple of questions.
1) the graphic for the main page (when you click on ...say weather) puts the button's graphic (sun / movie reel / speaker) on top of the old graphic, leaving the old graphic there instead of making it dissapear.

I also notice, on the weather screen, that the weather text info does not re-write. When I click on that day's weather, and then another ...the text info is not replaced, but just stacked on top of each other.
What do I need to do?

jbc
jbc

Re: Too Cool!

Postby jowaldo on Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:27 pm

jbc wrote:1) the graphic for the main page (when you click on ...say weather) puts the button's graphic (sun / movie reel / speaker) on top of the old graphic, leaving the old graphic there instead of making it dissapear.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean that when you scroll through the different options on the main menu, the images to the right change, but they end up looking like they are stacking up on top of each other?

Also it sounds like the same thing is happening on the weather pages. Are you sure you are using the latest exes? http://www.xlobby.com/xlobby2.zip

Are you using the client, or just the regular server? For some reason it sounds like your screens aren't refreshing right. I've never heard of anyone with a problem like this one.
jowaldo

Maybe

Postby jbc on Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:27 pm

I will see if I have the new exe file. I noticed last night, that the re-write issue only happens on my Airpanel.

the images to the right change, but they end up looking like they are stacking up on top of each other?

Thas it exactly.
Again, it only happens when using my airpanel, on my computer its fine.

I have 2 more issues if you can help me;
1) When I do a search for a topic in this forum, I do not get accurate results. Just posts that list a lot of un related topics. I'll keep tinkering.

2) In your awesome skin, I cant get the news to show. And since I cant get the search feature of this site to work for me, I cant find the answer's to my questions (I read the instructions that you have posted, but it does not cover the page for the news).
Thanks.

jbc
jbc

Postby jowaldo on Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:25 am

dunno why the search isn't working for you on this site.. can't help much with that.

For the news you can just download this and extract the files to your databases folder, and start up xlobby and you should be good to go.

http://www.xlobby.com/files/jowaldo/news.zip

Let me know if that works for ya or not.
jowaldo

Thanks

Postby jbc on Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:40 am

Ill unzip the news file. Thank you.
I wonder if my firewall could have something to do with it. I'm not getting an email notification when you reply to me either (works ok at Homeseer's sight, and I do have the check in the 'notify me when a reply is posted' spot).

Don't bother replying to this. I'll be awaiting your next hot release. Great stuff!!!

jbc
jbc

your old skin is great!

Postby CaM on Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:18 pm

I love your old skin so i'm eagerly awaiting this one :)

Can your new skin do a sync of all zones because i could never figure out how to do it with your old skin.

nice one!

CaM
CaM

Postby jowaldo on Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:19 am

I'm working right now on changing my existing skin and features first to this new remote friendly layout.

Once I get it all ironed out, I will definitely work a lot on multizone. I never worked on it much before, because I had no real need for it. Now I could use it, so I really want to work on that. Any suggestions on how it should work would be appreciated.
jowaldo

would be great for ppc if....

Postby CaM on Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:29 pm

hi there, it would be great if the pocket pc screens could have an option to change zones as well as to sync up the zones. Also radio buttons on the ppc screen would also be great. :)

thanks

CaM
CaM

Re: would be great for ppc if....

Postby jowaldo on Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:02 pm

CaM wrote:hi there, it would be great if the pocket pc screens could have an option to change zones as well as to sync up the zones. Also radio buttons on the ppc screen would also be great. :)

thanks

CaM

radio buttons like this? ;)

also I will be adding multizone stuff onto it soon too. I just wanted to convert existing features to my new layout first, then I will add multizone on there.
jowaldo

Yes!

Postby CaM on Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:13 am

yes, that's exactly it :)

CaM
CaM

Next