Most recent Jowaldo skin

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Postby jowaldo on Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:05 am

Not sure what could be causing that... I haven't seen that happen.

What resolution are you running it at?
jowaldo

Postby acemt01 on Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:13 am

I thought that might be the problem before you asked. I am running at 1900x1200. It is beautiful. What's funny is that only the larger button items dissapear. "play", "que", and those buttons still have the type on them. It's only the Main menu items like "music", "minimize", "movies", etc. I am not having this problem with any other skin, although I havn't done extensive testing simply because I always come back to yours!

Mark
acemt01

Postby jowaldo on Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:18 am

acemt01 wrote:I thought that might be the problem before you asked. I am running at 1900x1200. It is beautiful. What's funny is that only the larger button items dissapear. "play", "que", and those buttons still have the type on them. It's only the Main menu items like "music", "minimize", "movies", etc. I am not having this problem with any other skin, although I havn't done extensive testing simply because I always come back to yours!

Mark

Thanks for the complement, makes it feel more worth the work I've put into it.

Yeah I remember that problem now... but that was on many many builds ago... It may still be around tho for high resolutions like that. I'll have to play around with it turned up that high and see what happens.
jowaldo

Postby acemt01 on Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:40 pm

Thanks again for your hard work. If you could fix it, it would sure be great. I'm going to continue to use it even with the problem, but it's a little harder for my wife to use after the buttons dissapear...

Mark
acemt01

Postby jowaldo on Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:25 pm

I played around with it a bit, and I don't think its anything neccesarily to do with my skin. I remember now why this problem was here before... it has to do with how the buttons on the main page have an offset for the text, where none of the other buttons on my skin have one.

You might want to post this in the bugs section. Steven fixed this a while ago, but for some reason on high resolutions like this it seems to be around still.
jowaldo

Postby acemt01 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:08 pm

Well, it may be alittle more than that because it happens to all your header buttons on the music and movie pages too.

Mark
acemt01

Postby Naylia on Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:51 am

So I'm finally getting a hang of modifying the skin. I use SDTV and was able to adjust all the text and buttons to make sure everything displayed properly. Now the only thing that is troubling me is the offline dvd continue button. Online dvd's play fine, ZP runs and starts the movie, and I figured out how to have offline movies show the overlay. But when I click the 'continue' button on the overlay nothing happens. Anyone got any ideas? and How do I edit stuff on overlays? Pause/Break doesn't work when I'm in an overlay, how do I edit those screens?

Edit: So I figured out how to get to the overlay...if I assign the movie : play movie will that correctly let it know to play the dvd rom drive? Unfortunately I can't try this right now, but I'm hoping I can just assign the movie : play movie event and my zoomplayer string of /F /PLAY /Q /DVD %playlist% will play the dvd. Am I on the right track?

Edit2: Apparently using movie : play movie doesn't work for the disk in the dvdrom with the strink I mentioned above. So I created a new event that uses zoomplayer with an opendrive:d so that it knows to use my D:\ for the disc. This worked flawlessly. Yeah!
Last edited by Naylia on Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Naylia

Postby Naylia on Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:52 am

On a separate note, has anybody developed some good video game pages in Jowaldo's skin. I was going to try and make my own but figured I'd see if anyone had something I could start from.
Naylia

Postby jowaldo on Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:57 pm

Naylia wrote:On a separate note, has anybody developed some good video game pages in Jowaldo's skin. I was going to try and make my own but figured I'd see if anyone had something I could start from.

I've worked a bit on the games screen for my skin since the last release.. but not a whole bunch. What exactly would you like to have added to it?
jowaldo

Postby Naylia on Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:10 pm

Well lets see what I can come up with off the top of my head, I hadn't started planning out the screens yet.

I was going to replace news with games on the main screen. Figured that be pretty simple - just update the text.

Actually thinking about it the games screen would look similar to your start menu screen. Buttons for a handful of systems, with pics of the system to the left. Another thought would be 6 big buttons 3x2 or some such with icons of the system.

Screen for individual console could be list of games on one side, with image or other info on the left.

Another possibility would be to do something similar to dvds/cds. But I suspect having cover art of some sort for all the games would be difficult to amass, although I know MAME users tend to have a lot of artwork for games.

I suspect the more difficult part will be manually creating a database of all the info. I think there is a product for MAME that creates a XML database. I've seen it discussed here somewhere. Maybe developing to work with those variables would be best then people can create manually nintendo/atari/whatever databases that look similar.

Then I guess people would just create a new event that called the emulator they use with the file name from the database.

I hope this isn't meaningless jibberish....
Naylia

Postby Naylia on Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:52 pm

Apparently you already had a games screen! I just found it by flipping through everything on the goto menu. Looks like a decent start, I just have to figure out how to get videogames into that menu section. Maybe I'll give it a shot this week.

Do you have any sample databases that work with it?
Naylia

Postby jowaldo on Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:27 am

i never really set up much functionality to the games db screen. Just a quick layout with the systems listed on the left, and coverart on the right.
jowaldo

Postby Naylia on Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:38 pm

I'm going to give the MAME to XML program a shot and see what it generates for a database. I could forward it over to you once I have a sample you can look at.
Naylia

Postby dgemily on Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:00 pm

Naylia,
we use an amazing VBscript to build a database xml for Xlobby,
the script scan the repertory of your roms, recover the covers of your roms and all the informations of your roms :lol:

here it is: http://france.xlobby.com/forum/dgemily/temp/Rom_to_xml3.zip

edit the script, (right click and modify) change the path to your config.

Code: Select all
' Liste of roms files (deflaut directory) :
Rom_Path      = "C:\Program Files\mame32+\roms\"

' List of all rom snapshots (default directory) :
Rom_Snapshot_Path   = "C:\Program Files\mame32+\snap\"

' Roms Categories (default file) :
Rom_Type_File_Name   = "C:\Program Files\mame32+\folders\Category.ini"
' Destination file :
Rom_XML_File= "C:\Program Files\Xlobbyfr\databases\Mame.xml"

you need : wget.exe
if you don't have it, you can find it inside of this: http://upsgi.free.fr/files/myLaunch_Xlobby/Outils.zip

if you want some information about how to integrate Mame, look at this topic : http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2003&highlight=mame

and there :

http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13316#13316

Later,
dgemily

Postby Naylia on Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:32 pm

Thans a bunch, that's what I was referring to above. I knew I had seen it somewhere. I'll try it out tonight, or maybe I'll sneak home for an hour at lunch.
Naylia

Previous