XPreferences plugin

Xlobby plugin development

XPreferences plugin

Postby dalanik on Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:43 pm

I don't know if any plugin offers such functionality, I sort of like remember that there was something to save variables, but couldn't find it. So I did this plugin in 15 minutes to save xlobby variables. I was getting tired of having to set couple of things everytime xlobby started :-)

So there you have it... if anyone finds it useful. Extremely simple plugin, it only knows to 1) save xlobby variable to registry 2) read from registry to xlobby variable :-)

documentation: http://xlobby.lanik.org/XPreferences.htm
download: http://xlobby.lanik.org/XPreferences.v0.01a.exe (installer)
dalanik

Re: XPreferences plugin

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:37 am

D that is excellent idea for a plugin.

One thing to think though is that some users might want to run several instances of xlobby on same OS-installation (not necessarily simultaneously) and mayby have them use separate initialization information or persistancy domain for them and since register is kinda global data storage, it might be advantageous to some if u would offer regular file as storage possibility as well.

That said this comment is made without testing the plugin (my htpc still offline :( ) so if my asumptions are invalid and u already adressed several installations problem by for example using different heap in registry my apologies...

* failed in attitude check as usual *, read on with own responsibility.

i would have named this Xpersistant though :) to stress the point that its also possible to write the registry and not just read initialization values from there.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby dalanik on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:17 am

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:D that is excellent idea for a plugin.

Thanx B3ar.

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:One thing to think though is that some users might want to run several instances of xlobby on same OS-installation (not necessarily simultaneously) and mayby have them use separate initialization information or persistancy domain for them and since register is kinda global data storage, it might be advantageous to some if u would offer regular file as storage possibility as well.

I didn't think of that... It is storing data to HKCU. I could add XLobby ID string from the xlobby.xml file I guess. Well, always good to have something to improve :)

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote: i would have named this Xpersistant though :) to stress the point that its also possible to write the registry and not just read initialization values from there.

Too late now - I was simply out of ideas :-) But Xpersistant is a good name :-) even though it sounds a bit like deodorant commercial :-)

D.
dalanik

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:25 am

dalanik wrote:
P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:One thing to think though is that some users might want to run several instances of xlobby on same OS-installation (not necessarily simultaneously) and mayby have them use separate initialization information or persistancy domain for them and since register is kinda global data storage, it might be advantageous to some if u would offer regular file as storage possibility as well.

I didn't think of that... It is storing data to HKCU. I could add XLobby ID string from the xlobby.xml file I guess. Well, always good to have something to improve :)

Thats good idea didnt even crossed my mind, i was thinking possibility to use path as extra hive level after my post, but yours is even more in spirit with XL.

Too late now - I was simply out of ideas :-) But Xpersistant is a good name :-) even though it sounds a bit like deodorant commercial :-)

D.

it sure does :D
P3rv3rt B3ar