Calling a plugin from within a category?

Help each other out

Calling a plugin from within a category?

Postby WannaTheater on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:44 pm

So I am experimenting with writing an XMradio plugin. I now have code where I can pass in a channel number, and it will on-the-fly create the URL that I need use.

I currently have an XMradio database, which has the following structure: XMradio Music Category -> Radio Station

When I click on the radio station, it will try to pass the "paramenter" field into WinAmp. If I leave it blank, it will open up a "File Open" window (expecting me to open up a file for winamp to play). Is there a way to INHIBIT this behavior, as I would rather call my plugin function (which in turn will pass URL into WinAmp).

I know the option would be to create separate pages for each category, and separate events for each station, but this would be a management nightmare.

Thanks!
WannaTheater

Re: Calling a plugin from within a category?

Postby PhilB on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:08 am

I am not sure this helps you really but since it is XM Radio related, I thought I would share.

I have been using the XMRadio plugin called "FooXM" for a long time and it works fine. I just save off the stations I want to use and then call them directly from inside XL via a button and load the saved "playlist". Works nicely except I dont get artist and track in the XL interface. This is on the list for Steve I think at some point. In the meantime, it works well enough.

Does your method add additional features?

PB
PhilB

Re: Calling a plugin from within a category?

Postby WannaTheater on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:25 am

Thanks, but then I would need to use foobar, correct? I have Winamp set up for multiple zones... not sure if that can be done with foobar.

I have code which can change channels (authenticate based on XM credentials), see what is playing on a single channel, see what is playing on ALL channels, and even lookup up album art, etc. I am trying to figure out how to work this into XLobby. I am also trying to use my previous XM database, so XL will handle the music categories and layout. I somehow need to call an event when a channel button is pushed (instead of immediately calling WinAmp and passing in the <parameter>)

The hard way will be to create an event for every channel, and assign it to separate icons on multiple screens... then that event will call my plugin and pass in the appropriate parameters.
WannaTheater