Tinted Glass Skin Development/Support

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Re: Aero type theme

Postby lar282 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:59 pm

lar282

Postby mememe on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:35 pm

I'll try and get it working here in a bit. Thanks for the link.

I got the metamask thing figured out finally too. Then I started tinkering again. I altered the movie viewer slightly. My friends and I are split on which is better so I thought I'd see if anyone had an opinion. The old one is the one that is in my last post-o-pics, and this is the new one:

I can switch back and forth at will by simply hiding a couple of elements and unhiding another. I will also expand the look to the television (from dvds) viewer if I decide to keep it. Right now it is just an experiment. What do you guys think? Which do you think looks better?

Edit: I changed other elements to this look too. It literally took about 5min to do and can be undone in just as much time. So here are a few more screens for you:

ImageImage
ImageImage
mememe

Postby mememe on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:11 am

Does anyone else ever feel like they're talking to themselves?

Even a "I think it's ugly because..." would be helpful. Please don't be afraid of hurting my feelings. If I was a afraid of criticism I wouldn't be on the internet. All feedback is helpful to me so I can refine my ideas, and nothing anyone makes is going to be perfect. 100 heads are better than 1.
mememe

Postby lar282 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:49 am

I like it. Kind of cool with all the black backgrounds.Really different. Promise to give more feed back when I try it out!

//Lasse
lar282

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:16 am

mememe wrote:Does anyone else ever feel like they're talking to themselves?

Trust me, u r not the only one. I even had to start to answer to my own questions :lol:
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby lpg on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:44 am

Some of us do not comment if we do not have anything constructive to say. Not that artistic. I know I have gone through this thread multiple times. I think it looks great. It may be better recieved by my family. Keep up the good work.
lpg

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:44 pm

lpg wrote:Some of us do not comment if we do not have anything constructive to say.

For second i got this fuzzy home sweet home feel but then i realised we would actually have saturday sauna and little saturday talkathons if the board would exist on funland space... now on koskenkorva shots mandatory before entering boards! (finlandia allowed, for snobs in us)
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby mememe on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:57 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:
lpg wrote:Some of us do not comment if we do not have anything constructive to say.

For second i got this fuzzy home sweet home feel but then i realised we would actually have saturday sauna and little saturday talkathons if the board would exist on funland space... now on koskenkorva shots mandatory before entering boards! (finlandia allowed, for snobs in us)

lol

Can anyone tell me what the "aspect ratio" check mark is for? (the one that is in the default tab of the skin editor by hidden and stuff)
mememe

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:03 pm

mememe wrote:Can anyone tell me what the "aspect ratio" check mark is for? (the one that is in the default tab of the skin editor by hidden and stuff)

Is it not the usual preserving relaitive dimensions of the pic? on ps3 cant test.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby mememe on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:35 pm

I have no idea what you just said.
mememe

Postby lar282 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:04 am

if u have a button or a image and set the checkbox, it will resize relative to the resolution u set on the screen. When switching to from 4:3 16:9

//Lasse
lar282

Postby mememe on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:35 am

I finally got everything ready to start using it on my plasma. I just wanted the basics figured out before doing so. However, I bought a new plasma over the holidays so I was able to brighten some things up a bit (newer plasmas don't have issues with burn-in). I also had to change some elements since I moved from working on a 4:3 monitor to a 16:9 television. Overall, I think I found the look I like as far as the glass elements are concerned finally. I have noticed however that working with translucent elements can have some issues. I've noticed while working on an 1080p LCD monitor that just changing viewing positiion can effect the perceived level of how opague something is. I also noticed that variations in people's preferred brightness settings can change it drastically.

Just know that all of the glass elements are tinted so if they appear completely clear it is probably because of viewing angle or your brightness being set really high. If the text appears as white, then you most likely have your contrast set really high or your display isn't accurately rendering the greyscale. This doesn't mean the skin won't work for everyone, it just means you might have to do some tweaking to the tint levels of the images I used.

Anyway, this is still very much a work in progress. Think of this as a beta version that I will improve over time. Here are some screens so you know what it looks like:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

I'll post a download link for the skin and photoshop images (so that color/opacity can be customized to taste) in the next day or two. I just want to finish a few final touches to save others some headaches. I also want to change how the top info bar operates and displays before posting it.

As always, feedback is appreciated.
Last edited by mememe on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mememe

Postby mememe on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:16 pm

Just to let people know, I e-mailed Steve to see about having the skin hosted on the xlobby server. He's really busy right now though so I haven't heard back. I am working on it though.
mememe

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:47 am

mememe...you got mail.
Marbles_00

Postby mememe on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:33 am

Marbles_00 wrote:mememe...you got mail.

I'll get it taken care of sometime tomorrow. Thanks Marbles.

Edit: It took longer than I thought it would. I had to fix a couple of bugs that popped up, but they're fine now. Marbles you have mail.
mememe

PreviousNext