WebServer Questions

V3 help and support questions

WebServer Questions

Postby smarty on Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:40 pm

I have my main, customized skin that is on the touchscreens throughout the house. All the touchscreens are the same resolution. They all display the same xlobby instance (I only run one instance - so far).

I have been playing around with running a second instance of Xlobby for the sole purpoose of running a diffrent skin that will work on my phone via the Xlobby webserver.

Question: How can I make the webserver start up more "straight-forward"?

Presently, I have to start Xlobby (where then fires up my "normal-house touchscreen" skin). I then have to start another instance of Xlobby (whichs starts with the same "normal-house touchscreen" skin. I then go into "F2" and enable the webserver and also selected the "phone" skin and then the second Xlobby instance restarts.

Is there anyway to make this process a bit more streamlined? I wish the webserver start/stop could be event selectable. Also, I wish the skin choice could be event slectable. Or are they?
smarty

Re: WebServer Questions

Postby stevenhanna6 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Copy and paste your xlobby directory, then you will have two separate copies, then just setup the new copy as your web server.
stevenhanna6

Postby smarty on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:31 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will set up a new directory called Xlobby-WS. I guess as long as I keep the structure underneath it the same, it should work.

smarty

Postby smarty on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:55 am

Notes for anyone following this thread:

For this to work, you need to enable "allow multiple instances" in the Options area under alt-F2 (in both instances of Xlobby). This will allow the 2nd instance of Xlobby to start without the 2nd instance closing the first instance.

Next, I wanted to have the second instance (my phone web server) start in a "disable GUI" fashion, so as to not interfere with my full screen (1st instance) of Xlobby. Presetly, it appear that the "disable GUI" checkbox may have a bug (itcrashes upon startup - Mantis report submitted).

Lastly, I use button color changes to signify whether lights are On or Off. However, I need the web server to "auto-refresh" so that the button colors stay in-synch with the browser on my phone. Rather than use the "auto-refresh" every X seconds, is there a way I can build the refresh of the web server into my button press events? How would I do this? I have tried the "webserver" command, but what would the event group and what would be the event?
smarty

Postby samsonlov on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:00 am

Hey smarty,

you probably already thought of this, but just in-case, here's a work-around for "showing" button color changes: Create two (2) screens for each page that has buttons that change color; and add a "goto the other screen" event to each button press event that has a color change associated with it - it will help if you use "local" events for this.

eg.
For your lighting screen: clone the screen as "lightinga" and "localize" all the events, then add a "goto lightingb" event to each button-press that causes a button to change its color.
Then make a "clone" of lightinga called lightingb and change all the "goto lightingb" events on the new screen to "goto lightinga".
This way, no matter which lighting screen you are on, when you press any button that causes a color change, you will be sent to the "other" lighting screen, and the color will already be the "changed" color, and you'll get a "refresh" of your lighting screen whenever you need one, and no refresh when you don't.

*Note: you may want to add a "clear history" to your goto menu event if you want to "start fresh" each time you go to the main menu screen. (The only thing the "clear history" command does is clear the history of all the previously displayed pages.)

I hope this helps; let us know how it works for you.

Samson
:)
samsonlov

Postby smarty on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks for the reply! I had NOT thought of that solution!!!
smarty

Postby lar282 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:33 am

smarty wrote:I have my main, customized skin that is on the touchscreens throughout the house. All the touchscreens are the same resolution. They all display the same xlobby instance (I only run one instance - so far).

I have been playing around with running a second instance of Xlobby for the sole purpoose of running a diffrent skin that will work on my phone via the Xlobby webserver.

Question: How can I make the webserver start up more "straight-forward"?

Presently, I have to start Xlobby (where then fires up my "normal-house touchscreen" skin). I then have to start another instance of Xlobby (whichs starts with the same "normal-house touchscreen" skin. I then go into "F2" and enable the webserver and also selected the "phone" skin and then the second Xlobby instance restarts.

Is there anyway to make this process a bit more streamlined? I wish the webserver start/stop could be event selectable. Also, I wish the skin choice could be event slectable. Or are they?

Maybe a silly question but if u run 2 instancies of xlobby and u start playing music from your phone, what will happen when the first instance of XL also starts to play music? Will u have 2 soundcard installed? one for each instance?
I just don't understand how it will function if u run 2 instancies

//Lasse
lar282

Postby samsonlov on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:49 am

You can just make the second instance of xLobby run as a "client" that just executes the events on the "server" instance of xLobby.
:)
samsonlov