kXd -- kX Project driver control plugin via PervTalk

Xlobby plugin development

Panda, endangered?

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:46 am

Instead of coding kXd further, my interests shifted towards finally delivering idea i conceived long time ago: Panda -- multizoning pandora plugin via PervTalk. Initial tests seems very promising. One thing ive not yet set to stone is how to bridge these several pandora sources to xlobby multizone setup, but one idea is to do it Scalt style, via VAC, so Scalt if u r still around i could really use that controllable audio repeater, u had custom made for u.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Re: Panda, endangered?

Postby sharp_1 on Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:39 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:Instead of coding kXd further, my interests shifted towards finally delivering idea i conceived long time ago: Panda -- multizoning pandora plugin via PervTalk. Initial tests seems very promising. One thing ive not yet set to stone is how to bridge these several pandora sources to xlobby multizone setup, but one idea is to do it Scalt style, via VAC, so Scalt if u r still around i could really use that controllable audio repeater, u had custom made for u.
Now this is going to be cool!!! Can't wait to give it a shot...thanks Bear!!!
sharp_1

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:21 pm

I like it too, but be cautioned that if what happens to web broadcasting really does happen as indicated in links from this post:
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5634

Services like Pandora and others may take a huge hit...if they are broadcasting from servers within the USA.

Back to kXd, is it kXd or PervTalk that would enable to display vertical bars? Is this still on the table to come out with? As well...bars instead of going left to right for min to max, they can go right to left? This would be cool as when one bar is minimizing and is one color, another bar is maximizing over it, and is a different color. It would also conserve a little on space, allowing more to be displayed in the same area...ie more sync (mixers) on a PPC screen :wink:
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:23 pm

Bars are actually much more complicated issue in PervTalk than meets the eye. Ive given it some thought lately and it makes sense to put majority of support within xPerT and handle them just as number values beyond that point. This way i dont have to worry about bar presentation separately on every device. And because my xPerT source is right now badly stuck between versions (even experimental ones), i have zero motivation with it, and situation is not made any easier by current uncertainty in XL. So to get ultimate bar support will take time. BUT i was thinking that in the meantime i could change _debug_ bars within kXd so that they could be used in ways u wished for, i believe they are still the ones u r using. I see what i can do, however it might prove impossible to achieve it without changes in xPerT (should not though), but in anycase only after i have panda available for alphatesters 8)

BTW Has the speed improvement stayed or vanished? Cause that "fix" was totally accidental. 8)
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:47 pm

BTW Has the speed improvement stayed or vanished? Cause that "fix" was totally accidental.

Yeah, I may have been a little pre-mature about that. After I installed the latest .exe files from you, the response was great...I've never noticed the bars loading/displaying as quickly as they did either on server or client. That was after a fresh load of Xlobby, server was already awake. When bringing the server out of sleep (so Xlobby is already running), and I go to an overlay on the thin client for the first time, it takes about 15 to 20 seconds for all the bars to show.

and situation is not made any easier by current uncertainty in XL

P3rv, you can't think like that. You have to think outside the box. Yeah who knows what will be supported in the future version, or what will become of Xlobby period for that matter, but alot of us are, and could very well remain, using the last "free" version. It'd be great to keep getting support for it.

(Hip Hip Horray Rant done :) )
Marbles_00

Postby scalt on Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:02 pm

Bear

I'm still around....but not so much. Actually on the other side of the world in Hong Kong!

From what I recall, command line control has been added to the official release of VAC, so you might want to take a look at the site.

If it's not i'll go search for it. I can still access my HTPC by VPN.
scalt

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:15 am

Ofcourse... didnt realise to check the site :oops:
Hong Kong... :shock: Asian Honeyz :P

Anyway i managed to put panda together without need for VAC. (VAC is still among one of most suitable technologies to connect different pandora channels to physical zone outputs, but i decided to leave device more general and allow user to figure out his own strategy, forexample marble style distribution within kX-card controlled by kXd works great as well)

Its working beautifully ive been conducting tests with three zone playing different radio all controllable with pervtalk. Its just i need to still add two things before alpha release. Need to get info back to pervtalk and create database from channels...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu May 03, 2007 9:06 pm

It seems Pandora is closing tomorrow... atleast outside states :(

Its damn sad especially because i had panda almost ready.

What is goddamn funny about this all... this sounds like america is loosing their self declared "culture kampf" atleast when it comes to music... now they wanna fence themself out of rest of the world... soon there will be sickles and hammers instead of stars to go together with stripes... and russian pirate radio planes will fly-by transmitting free trepak, balalaika and radio moscow :shock:

Not all is lost though... ill be experimenting proxy option. needles to say however this will atleast delay the plugin if not cancel it altogether. We'll be lot wiser tomorrow.

EDIT: we all know there are export regulations on nuclear technology, cryptographic technology... and now most important military technology there is: music!!!
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri May 04, 2007 11:29 am

Ok its not a rumour... they r blocking my access now...

Is any one of alphatesters still enjoying pandora without rel(a)ying proxies?
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby sharp_1 on Fri May 04, 2007 1:32 pm

I would like to be an alphatester for the panda plugin if possible?

I have been reading and lobbying for the Internet Radio Equality Act, HR 2060 so lets hope our legislature will lighten up and let internet radio continue to make progress and expose new faces to new artists!!
sharp_1

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri May 04, 2007 6:25 pm

Yeah i was thinking that mayby i could finish the work with somebody who could test it... but rethinking it in practise that must be mission impossible. So i think only way to continue the work... would be donate it for some US resident coder... or make that proxy idea to work. Right now im pretty fucking pissed about the fact that 1½ week of tedious work just went down the drain. So ill take few days off before even starting to look for proxy possibility.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Re: kXd -- kX Project driver control plugin via PervTalk

Postby sharp_1 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:27 am

Bear:

Are you able to get pandora now? I think is back up for you.
sharp_1

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:31 am

sharp_1 wrote:Bear:

Are you able to get pandora now? I think is back up for you.

Really wow that is good news. I got really low motivated towards whole Panda project after they shut it down... Mayby ill get finishing it now right away, as far as i remember it was pretty much ready... just had one major flaw, i couldnt figure out how to get nowplaying data from several zones simultaneously.

EDIT: oh no its not back up... i still get the nag screen :( hmm where did u get the info it should be back up?
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby sharp_1 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:14 pm

Oops!! Thought since it was staying up here in the US and lawmakers were looking like they were working on an acceptable solution that access was now possible for you too. Sorry for the run-around.
sharp_1

Re:

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:15 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:P3rv,

A special request. Is it possible that you could switch the direction in which the bars travel. Currently they all travel in accordance to the KX DSP. Where left is min. and right is max. For you mixer, could you put in the option for the Comp bar to go the opposite direction where left is max and right is min?

I'm trying something out as one mixer slider goes down, the other slider goes up. Both bars are different in color so as the one bar goes down, the other bar is increasing.

Hope you understand what I mean.

Marb, im bit sorry i didnt realise at the time functionality was indeed pretty much built in already :oops:

Now that i was playing with bars for my Xmon skin... i realise both vertical and horizontal bars are functioning, and also with little arithmetic trick u can mirror the bar, so that makes possible both top-down bar and right to left type of bars also. Note thought that this can only be achieved with graphical bars, debuging bars are not up to task. I know u kinda like them, but u can always make graphical bars from square blocks if u wish. Also these twisted bars can work correctly only as indicators as opposed to active bars, cause there is currently no way to mirror (apply arithmetics) to point of click, but u can always use your "stealth button array" workaround to make them active...

So two tricks (both needed) used to mirror bar are:

1. subtract the value of the bar from thou within "present>progress bar"-variable using xPerT arithmetics:
Code: Select all
[1000-[the_bar_value]]

2. Swapping the file names for background and bar grafix within the same "present>progress bar"-variable

If active bars are what u need... ill get back to it someday...

Edit: and if u really really want those damn debug bars... i think steven added right-to-left scripts for japs and lefthanded people and bottom to top scripts for martians.... so id check those out, they just might do the trick 8)

actually that was also per my request and i had these wingding thingies in mind back then... im really shamed i forgot about it :oops: :oops: :oops:
P3rv3rt B3ar

PreviousNext