Where can I get a HD DVD internal drive?

Information related to the pre-release commercial version of xlobby

Re: Where can I get a HD DVD internal drive?

Postby jji666 on Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:08 pm

Everything? Can I use that audio driver to fix my job? Seriously, congrats. I have my XL setup so that unencrypted transport stream and matroska Hd content (plus blu-ray) play though Zoom, and I use PowerDVD Ultra to launch hard drive based HD-DVDs and this works pretty well. Just keep in mind that one foible of PowerDVD Ultra is that it won't launch a full HD-DVD saved on a drive over a network - you have to map the drives to get that to work. Once done, it is a reasonable approach until one of the better and more easily integrated players picks up HD-DVD capability, which may never happen.
jji666

Postby Jay on Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:41 pm

Yes, everything - by getting pointed to the right Intel mobo audio driver. I was looking for the onboard SigmaTel driver updates.
Much to my surprize, the audio driver fixed the extremly bad frame rate too.

Thanks for the info regarding the need to map network drives for PDVD Ultra.
Jay

Postby Jay on Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:45 pm

Well hopefully, this will be my last post in this thread - except for 'thanks'.

I ran DVDFab HD (directly, not thru XL) against a HD DVD on the Xbox drive. An hour and 20 minutes later Fab said it was successful.
I looked at MyVideos and saw the folders and files there. FULLDISC\DVD_VOLUME and under that, ADV_OBJ and HDDVD_TS folders, each populated with files.

I pointed PDVD Ultra first to FULLDISC, then DVD_VOLUME. OK is grayed out so I can't play the vid. What did I miss? This is my 1st time ripping HD vids.
Jay

Postby sdumas on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:52 pm

Unfortunately you hit the PowerDVD "update" enhancements...

That means that you can't play ripped HD DVD or BluRay from PowerDVD. Anything that has been put on disk (HDDVD or Bluray) will NOT play with the latest PowerDVD Ultra software.

Anything BEFORE v .3156 will be fine. If you upgrade beyond that, you will hit their new enhancements... read: "copy protection". Cyberlink has been pushed by the studios to block the playing of any Hi-Def ripped content.

Stay on the "original" software and you should be fine.

Make sure that if you rip Hi-Def movies (HD DVD), that your drive where the movies are located should be mounted (ex. f: g: h: etc.) otherwise the HD DVD movies will not play with PowerDVD. It can't play from a network location (ex. \\server\hd movies\). It does not have to be so with Bluray.
sdumas

Postby Jay on Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:21 am

Ah! Thanks. Yes, I'm on K:\ and not trying to network.
I didn't hit 'enhancements'. I just bought it new and the ver. is 3723.

So, it "knows" that I've decrypted? This is maddening because the only reason I want backups is for the time when my HD DVD physical players fail. :?
Jay

Postby sdumas on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:05 am

Just get the older version and you'll be alright.

It knows that your movie is on a local disk drive, not a DVD drive, hence the blocking...
sdumas

Postby sdumas on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:07 am

BTW Jay, I did not mean that you actually press the "upgrade" button, I was just saying that you "hit" (meaning you were actually getting) their "special enhancement" in their newer releases.
sdumas

Postby Jay on Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:28 pm

SDumas. I was wondering whether the mere fact that it's on a HD was enough to block. Makes sense.
Now I've been looking for earlier versions on the site and only see previous upgrades. I also went to oldversion.com/program.php?n=powerdvd The latest they have is PDVD7.

Any possibility of pointing me to the right place?

Thanks.
Jay

Postby sdumas on Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:05 am

Try here:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/679415

That's 7.2 - your licence file should still be good wit\h this version - it's never illegal to go backward on a version.
sdumas

Postby Jay on Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:34 pm

Appreciated. Have the torrent, hopefully there will be a seed at some point. Have no availability at present.
Jay

Postby Jay on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:51 pm

Well, I got the torrent file but it doesn't like my LAN setup it seems. Port's forwarded, Firewall's happy, seeded. Just can't get the stream. Any other sources come to mind?

I've used BitTorrent in the past to get indie movies with no prob.
Puzzled.
Jay

Postby jji666 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:13 pm

I wonder - can one take ripped HD-DVD files and burn them to an ISO disk image and then mount with Daemontools to play an HD-DVD with PowerDVD that way?
jji666

Postby jji666 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:58 pm

The answer is yes, that works. Burning an ISO with Nero and then mounting with Daemontools allows an HD-DVD to be played off of a hard drive. I guess the guys at Cyberlink will have to do better than that. I do appreciate how concerned they are that no one steal my home movies and play them elsewhere.
jji666

Postby Jay on Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Well, I found the problem/s. None of the trackers are available (404) and the only peer I see apparently doesn't have the program.

So, on the ISO, daemontools approach, jji666. Am I following you?...

Rip the movie to disc, "burn" an ISO copy to the same disc with some version of Nero, then apply this app to the ISO image?
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php and delete the original rip?

I've never worked with ISO or daemontools.
Last edited by Jay on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay

Postby jji666 on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:07 pm

Jay, I think you are following me, but it is even simpler than that. Daemontools will take an iso image and mount it as a virtual drive so that PowerDVD sees it as an optical disk. So yes, take your HD-DVD files and create an iso file with Nero - basically reconstruct the HD-DVD file structure - and then mount with Daemontools on the player PC. PowerDVD will then see it as an optical disk. Getting PowerDVD to lauch and then to actually play the iso was a bit of a challenge as well. I had to pull ISO out of all of the other filetypes under setup in XL, and then the only parameter that I found that worked was actually the drive letter of the Daemontools mount. But others might work. You also have to configure XL to use Daemontools which isn't too difficult - rather than repeat all the instructions I suggest you search the forum, but the basic thing is under the General Tab in XL.
jji666

PreviousNext