Can you specify startup volume for WinAmp?

Help each other out

Can you specify startup volume for WinAmp?

Postby WannaTheater on Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:27 pm

I an using 4 WinAmp session for zoned audio. When XLobby starts, it sets all zone volumes at 100%. But on another computer it starts all zones at about 30%. Is there somewhere where I can specify to start each zone at 50%?

I assumed that WinAmp remembered the last volume position before you exit, but it seems that XLobby may slam that. In there an .ini file some place?

Thanks!
WannaTheater

Re: Can you specify startup volume for WinAmp?

Postby scottw on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:42 pm

Yeah I think you just add a startup folder to your event list and any events in there will run at startup. So you could just make an event to set the volume to a certain number. I had trouble with getting things running at startup just by adding a folder to mine, so I just coped a working one from someone else's skin and deleted and added events to it. So I attached my startup.xml file if you want to use that and customize it. Just copy the attached file to you "eventgroups" folder for your skin and when you open XL's event editor you should see a folder called "startup"

Hope this helps.
Attachments
startup.xml
(690 Bytes) Downloaded 269 times
scottw

Postby WannaTheater on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:05 pm

Thanks. The only problem is that I don't think there is an Event to set Winamp volume to a specific level... I thought there was only an UP and a DOWN
WannaTheater

Postby scottw on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:16 pm

Set it to 0 first then 50. Looks something like this:
event one Volume -100
event two Volume 50

you can also do this for each zone:
event one "Zone Set" Livingroom
event two Volume -100
event three Volume 50
event four"Zone Set" bedroom
event five Volume -100
event six Volume 50

Will that work???

Edit: the volume command is in the music section of the commands....you specify what number you want to increase and decrease the volume by.
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:42 pm

Doh!!

I never thought of doing it that way. I've always just said decrease 25%...then wondered why I would have to turn up the volume at times. Thanks for the tip.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:43 pm

Sure glad I was able to help someone!!!
scottw

Postby WannaTheater on Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:58 pm

I am not sure why, but now I cannot get Xlobby to switch zones! Doh!

But I think I found an even easier way to set the startup volume.... In the XLobby root directory, there is xlobby.xml... looks like you can set the startup volume there (0 being 0%, 255 being 100%)

Now if I can only get multiple zones working again!
WannaTheater

Postby WannaTheater on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:45 pm

So I am pulling my hair out.... Please correct me if I am wrong:

I have installed WinAmp 3 times for 3 zones... each with a different install directory:

C:\Program Files\WinAmp\Living Room
C:\Program Files\WinAmp\Master Bedroom
C:\Program Files\WinAmp\Patio

Then I add the three zones in the F2 menu by pointing to
C:\Program Files\WinAmp\Living Room\winamp.exe, etc

So when I start up Xlobby, all three winamp instances start up... but I cannot set zone to "Master Bedroom"

Everything gets sent to the first instance created....

This is the same thing I have on my production system with no problems (all zones work)! The only difference is that in my production system I have actually configured the winamp instances for three different sets of outputs. Am I missing something?
WannaTheater

Postby WannaTheater on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:10 pm

"Zone Next" works, but I can no longer select a named zone.... does anyone know how XLobby determines the Zone Name? I thought it was the name of the directory that instance of Winamp is installed in....

It is very odd that this no longer works. I am running the same version of WinAmp on both machines. I even went back to a previous Winamp version on my test machine that I know worked. I guess the real question is what is the mechanism that Xlobby determines which WinAmp process to send events to?

this is driving me insane!
Last edited by WannaTheater on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
WannaTheater

Postby scottw on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 am

Check F2 - xnet I believe on the right hand side it shows the zones. Also try geting rid of the space in your folder names...Living room to Livingroom.

Let me now what happens.
scottw

Postby WannaTheater on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:47 am

Thats it!!! 4 Hours of my time wasted uninstalling/reinstalling/backing up/restoring/installing/uninstalling.....BLAH

You apparently need to have the Xnet server running in order for "Set Zone" event to work. The "Next" and "Previous" events worked fine.

Thank you Scott, I would not have figured that out! I had to reinstall Xlobby last week on the dev machine and I guess it whiped out the Xnet setting and thus the server was not starting up.

-Greg

p.s. The spaces in "Living Room" are OK
WannaTheater

Postby scottw on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:06 am

Cool...glad you got it working...didn't even think of xnet being off but I did nudge you in the right direction :lol:
scottw