X10 or maybe Insteon

Help each other out

X10 or maybe Insteon

Postby berniejr on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:10 pm

I’m looking at adding some simple automation options to my Xlobby setup, and I have a good idea of how to accomplish this having read some older post on this site. Essentially I will just use command line or batch file options to send commands to the devices.

What I am not sure about is if this will work with how I am setting up my system.

I will a 1 server that will primarily server as a file server and will also run Xlobby as a Server and Active Home (other Home Automation software) and will have the CM15A device attached to it.

Then in 3 separate rooms (basement, family room, and MBR) I will have Xlobby machines that will run as Fat Clients back to the main server, in order to pull database information.

Controlling these 3 machines will be 3 Fujitsu 1600 touchscreen PC's via the web client.

So when I setup a button to turn on/off a light and press that button via the touchscreen, should that event exist on the main server, since that's where the HA software is running, or will it only work if the HA software is loaded on each Fat client, and if this is the case does the CM15A need to be connected to that PC instead?

I've not yet purchased any of the HA equipment so I want to try to verify how it will work before I start spending money.

Thanks
berniejr

Re: X10 or maybe Insteon

Postby sharp_1 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:06 pm

I've had very bad luck with x10 in the past not working properly. I would go with the Insteon if I were you.

I don't run a fat client so I'm not to sure about that but I have run the thin client and that works fine for me when running command line solutions.
sharp_1

Postby lpg on Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:38 am

When you say server to pull database information from: are you planning to have the fat clints all use central Xlobby database files?
lpg

Postby Bill Lott on Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:34 pm

Just my .02 but I've been using x10 stuff for years with very few problems.

I have about 75 devices including lighting controls, appliance modules, and motion detectors.
Bill Lott

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:28 pm

I think with the x10 devices it all depends on the controller your using. I've tried a CM11 serial controller, and had nothing but problems. I found out after googling multiple pages that majority of people were having similar issues when running XP SP2. Lo-and-behold, that was what I was running. Micro$oft did something in that service pack which bugged the COM ports for different devices...just so happened that the CM11 was one of those devices. I also read that depending on the manufacturer of the CM11, some people had reliable success, others, like me, it was hit or miss in if the CM11 would respond to serial commands.

Out of frustration and the multiple nightmares, I ended up dropping trying to get x10 to work on my music-server.
Marbles_00

Postby sharp_1 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:11 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:I think with the x10 devices it all depends on the controller your using. I've tried a CM11 serial controller, and had nothing but problems. I found out after googling multiple pages that majority of people were having similar issues when running XP SP2. Lo-and-behold, that was what I was running. Micro$oft did something in that service pack which bugged the COM ports for different devices...just so happened that the CM11 was one of those devices. I also read that depending on the manufacturer of the CM11, some people had reliable success, others, like me, it was hit or miss in if the CM11 would respond to serial commands.

Out of frustration and the multiple nightmares, I ended up dropping trying to get x10 to work on my music-server.

Finally someone that feels my pain!!
sharp_1

Postby berniejr on Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:36 am

Guys thanks for the input. I've reading a lot regarding the X10 stuff and ive seen alot of these concerns expressed. I've all but rule out the CM11A. That leaves the CM15a or the CM17a (firecracker). The CM15 only works with AHP software, although I do believe that Homeseer now supports it. The Firecracker is very inexpensive and it can be controlled via command line program, this is the way that i am leaning.

Down the line I think I really want to incorporate HVAC and Security control into the system, however I really dont want to invest in a lot (or any) of moeny in software. For this reason alone I am looking at maybe using Misterhouse HA software which is an open soucre program with a lot of features, although like Xlobby has a huge learning curve.

My thoughts are to use an old P2 Thinkpad laptop that I have to run this software and if I can someway find a way to pass X10, HVAC, and Security info to Xlobby (Xap perhaps) then I might be in business

lpg wrote:When you say server to pull database information from: are you planning to have the fat clints all use central Xlobby database files?

lpg, that is the plan. any concerns with this?
berniejr

Postby lpg on Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:36 am

Xlobby actively uses the databases which are in xml format (i.e if your machine aborts it is very possible the database will be corrupted - this is not a problem usually because they can be rebuilt fairly easily). There are no locking mechanisims that I know of in place. So long story short if you have multiple clients accessing the database at the same time they can become corrupted. If you store your media files centrally the databases will be built identically on each of the fat clients. The databases do not take up that much space. Just some things to think about.
lpg