Jowaldo's skin - new layout, what do you think?

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

another idea

Postby CaM on Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:35 pm

hi there, i have another suggestion :)

how about some type of on screen indication on what zone you are currently in?

have a good one.

CaM
CaM

Postby jowaldo on Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:38 am

yep definitley gonna have that, I just have to make it not look too cluttered tho
jowaldo

Postby kjheu on Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:18 am

Jump To:
This is a new feature I just added that brings up an overlay with a scrollable alphabet DB, where you bring this up, scroll to a letter, select it and it will automatically take to the first artist that starts with that letter. Works out real handy.

Could you give some more detail on how you did this? I've made a database with the letters of the alphabet but I'm having problems trying to figure out what event to use to get the music database to display the right letter.
kjheu

Postby Naylia on Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:40 am

any chance you'll use xoapweather as the default weather plugin with the new skin you're working?
Naylia

Postby jowaldo on Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:37 am

Naylia wrote:any chance you'll use xoapweather as the default weather plugin with the new skin you're working?

Yes I am going to.

kjheu: create a db and an item for each letter in the alphabet, then for parameter put in press>X or whatever letter that parameter is for.

I have mine on an overlay, so on my music page I have a event when you click the button for it, that it runs a "show abc overlay" command with music set as the category. Oh and on the diplayed db on that overlay I assign it a close overlay event. So when someone picks a letter, it jumps to that letter and closes the overlay in one click.

Hope that helps, if not, I can send you a copy of my skin so far so you can compare
jowaldo

Postby Naylia on Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:43 pm

I just finisihed polishing up the ppcweather screens with xoapweather adjustments if you want them. There's only one thing I dont' like and that's displaying the day or date in those buttons up top neither one fits and I dont' know how to format the variable if thats even an option. I wish I could just crop the day so that I get 'Sat' instead of 'Sa...'

If you want the updated screens I can send em over to you to save you the time.
Naylia

Postby jowaldo on Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:14 pm

Naylia wrote:If you want the updated screens I can send em over to you to save you the time.

Sure go ahead and shoot them over if you don't mind... mailto:jowaldo2kNOSPAM@hotmail.com just take out the NOSPAM part

Thanks
jowaldo

Postby Naylia on Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:58 pm

I actually didn't want to get into isolating files so I figured I'd warn you that I'm zipping back up your whole skin and sending it over. I'm not quite skilled enough yet to pull out the parts I modified. I'll include what I can remember for a changelog in the email. Oh, and since it's the whole skin, it may be handy to keep around for anyone else who needs a 800x600 version. I had to modify a lot of text boxes because when they got sized down to 800x600 they had the ends of the text chopped off.
Naylia

Any Updates?

Postby ScottRat on Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:53 pm

jowaldo,

Thanks very much for your effort on your skins. Will you have the remote friendly one ready for release any time soon?

I am adding a usb-urit to my system and would love to test out the new skin.

Thanks,

Scott R.
ScottRat

Postby jowaldo on Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:50 am

I haven't got near as far on it as I thought I would by now. Even if its not 100% functional within the next week, I'll post it sometime by then just to get it out.
jowaldo

Postby Arthur on Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:35 pm

Jowaldo,

Could you implement the new way of controlling master volume in your skin?
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2445[/url]
Arthur

Postby jowaldo on Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:48 pm

Yeah I definitley will add this, but the last post on that thread colby asked what I was going to... I think i'm gonna wait to change this until that gets added too.
jowaldo

Postby jhenderson010759 on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:26 pm

Jowaldo -

I tried your skin and have some feature requests. I am using an iPaq4705 PDA as the client. My fundamental goal is to control Foobar (music) via XLobby.

The first problem is that the PPC music screens are essentially unreadable on my PDA. I have tried viewing the PDA menus in both native resolution and real VGA modes (true 640x480) without success. Certainly, my 45-year-old eyes are part of the problem. But, the core issue is that the bulk of the music screens are consumed with album covers rather than readable text. While album covers may be perfect for music collections of predominantly modern music, cover art for classical listeners such as myself are not readily available. The end-result is that 80% of the screen real-estate is wasted on non-existant album cover art. What I'd prefer is an orientation opposite of the current menu layout: The bulk of the screen real-estate dedicated to music library text information, readily-accessible music indexing tools and music player controls.

A second problem occurs when XLobby is configured to show PPC menus via the servers.txt file. The PPC menus that are rendered over just a small fraction of the are screen (about 1/4). This may be a result of the higher native resolution of the iPaq4705, or some video driver problem. But, both your skin and the default exhibit the same problem.
jhenderson010759

Postby jowaldo on Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:11 pm

jhenderson010759 wrote:Jowaldo -

I tried your skin and have some feature requests. I am using an iPaq4705 PDA as the client. My fundamental goal is to control Foobar (music) via XLobby.

The first problem is that the PPC music screens are essentially unreadable on my PDA. I have tried viewing the PDA menus in both native resolution and real VGA modes (true 640x480) without success. Certainly, my 45-year-old eyes are part of the problem. But, the core issue is that the bulk of the music screens are consumed with album covers rather than readable text. While album covers may be perfect for music collections of predominantly modern music, cover art for classical listeners such as myself are not readily available. The end-result is that 80% of the screen real-estate is wasted on non-existant album cover art. What I'd prefer is an orientation opposite of the current menu layout: The bulk of the screen real-estate dedicated to music library text information, readily-accessible music indexing tools and music player controls.

A second problem occurs when XLobby is configured to show PPC menus via the servers.txt file. The PPC menus that are rendered over just a small fraction of the are screen (about 1/4). This may be a result of the higher native resolution of the iPaq4705, or some video driver problem. But, both your skin and the default exhibit the same problem.

I agree that it is hard to find what album you are looking at on the ppc when there is no cover art for it. I'll look into some alternatives...

I created (and so did Steven for the default skin) the ppc screens for a dell axim x5 which has a resolution of something like 240x320 (i'm just guessing tho, not sure at the moment). I tried running my ppc skin on an ipaq once, and noticed it had problems stretching the skin fullscreen to the ipaq's higher resolution. However I didn't get much time to play around with it, and don't have access to one anymore that I can try.

So I know that there is a problem with this, yours sounds a bit different than what I saw, but without having one on me to test, I'm not too sure what to do. Maybe try posting a question in the support section. I'm sure there are others out there sucessfully using an ipaq
jowaldo

Postby oajungen on Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:51 pm

Hi Jowaldo,
It has been a while ago you published an update of your skin. Any idea when your next release will be published?
oajungen

PreviousNext